Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Missouri prison system.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
♪ ♥ ♪ ♥
Donation Award 

Default Puppies for parole: How rescue dogs are helping convicts...

rehabilitate and win chance of early release...

It may sound barking mad but hardened criminals are discovering what softies they are by caring for pooches 24 hours a day. Forget the usual prison image of chain gangs and razor wire, tough U.S. jailbirds are each being handed a helpless pup to care for in their cells night and day.

In two years, 468 rescue dogs have been placed with families after being trained by inmates in the Missouri Department of Corrections' 'Puppies for Parole' programme.

They teach the dogs, which come from local animal shelters, how to behave and prepare them for adoption -helping their own chances of being released. George Lombardi, director of the Missouri Department of Corrections, has put the animals in 15 of the 20 prisons he oversees.

He said: 'It's really a win-win-win situation. The dogs teach offenders responsibility and compassion, and improve the culture and atmosphere of the facility 'They lessen the tensions and as a result improve the safety and security of the prison.'

Full Story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-release.html
The Following User Says Thank You to will_be_waiting For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (01-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Thats so cool
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
♪ ♥ ♪ ♥
Donation Award 

I thought so too. They should expand this program to other states and facilities. It does good for both the dogs and the inmates .
The Following User Says Thank You to will_be_waiting For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 AM

Fee sure, my man would love that=)
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 363 Posts

Very nice program I totally agree its good for dog and human needs to be put in all prisons
Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Default Puppies for Parole

This program is outstanding one. My son has been in it and loved it. Each dog is assigned to 2 trainers/handlers. They all share a cell. The dogs are spoiled with lots of treats. I could tell you all so many stories about them. Great program.

DOC has a listing of the dogs that are available for adoption throughout the state that have gone through the program. Here are some links for you all. Check them out. Some great stories too.

http://doc.mo.gov/DAI/P4P.php

available puppies
https://web.mo.gov/doc/PuppiesForPar...do?method=load

facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...ppiesforParole

shelters associated with each prison
https://web.mo.gov/doc/PuppiesForPar...od=shelterList
Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 PM

FYI - they just pulled all of the dogs from the program at MECC (Pacific). My husband was in the program and this past Friday they pulled every dog from the program. The Associate Warden - Layton, says they'll try to find another shelter to work through - might take a few months.

As to why the dogs were pulled - from what I heard, a dog was badly injured/abused (broken leg) by one of the inmates. They also claimed that it was cruel to keep the dogs there in the summer months because of the heat (although, it's OK for our men to be there).
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
PTO Research Assistant

That stinks. It's been a very long time since my son was at MECC. That was back when it was a level 4 facility.

And the heat is very hard on them there. Can't imagine that an inmate broke a dog's leg. Bet there is more to that story. There typically is.

I'd imagine it will take a few month for them to get the program going again there. How convenient that the summer months will probably be over then.

Sorry to hear they pulled the dogs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeTiger View Post
FYI - they just pulled all of the dogs from the program at MECC (Pacific). My husband was in the program and this past Friday they pulled every dog from the program. The Associate Warden - Layton, says they'll try to find another shelter to work through - might take a few months.

As to why the dogs were pulled - from what I heard, a dog was badly injured/abused (broken leg) by one of the inmates. They also claimed that it was cruel to keep the dogs there in the summer months because of the heat (although, it's OK for our men to be there).