Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 PM

Default Life after Prison and Supervised Release: the past can be left behind

For those of you who donít know me, Iíve been on Prison Talk since 2012. I was initially charged in May, 2012 for Theft of Public Money. I plead guilty and was sentenced to a year and a day and ordered to make full restitution in the amount of $78,477.00. I was incarcerated from March, 2013 until November, 2013, then again from September, 2016 until March, 2017. I was discharged after my release in March, 2017 after all my restriction was paid.

Since then, I met with the VA Vocational Rehabilitation for help in gaining a vocational skill since I was not able to be employed in my field due to a service connected disability. This lack of not being able to work with my disability is what helped contribute to my charge. I was approved for the vocational training, and I went through an approval process that assessed my ability to become employed despite my conviction. The overwhelming consensus was my conviction is not related to the job I will get, and once I complete training, I will be employable despite my history. So, my training began in January, 2018 and I am just about finished. I have two more courses until I am all finished, but I just received my first certification which makes it so I am now legally able to work on this field. It is important to know that all this time, I was 100% honest and up front with everybody.

With this said, as of this month, I became a Commerical Pilot (Airplane) and I have a job offer with a flight school starting in June, 2020 when I get my flight instructor rating. I will instruct students pilots for about a year. After that, I have a friend who hooked me up with a recruiter at a regional airline. She said once I get my minimum hours, they will put me through the interview process (all the while knowing my conviction). I was completely honest and up front with my history with everybody (the FAA, TSA, and flight schools and the VA). And nothing stopped me. What is helping me is there is a pilot shortage coming over the next two decades, and there is a need for pilots.

I will walk away from my training with numerous pilot certifications and another Bachelors Degree Iím Aeronautics. And the biggest irony is...Uncle Sam is paying for it. When my past comes up, Iíll be able to say ďyes, that did happen. But look at what I accomplished since thenĒ.

For those of you who are starting this process with the courts...there is light at the end of the tunnel. You will get through this. And if you let it..you will prevail. If you told me in 2012 that in 2019 Iíd be a Commerical Pilot...Iíd tell you that youíre crazy. But thatís exactly what happened. What is funny though is when I was incarcerated in 2013, the VA came to the prison and spoke to all the veterans. It was there that I learned that I was able to get VA disability for my issues. Had I not gone to prison, I would have never known. And me becoming a pilot would never have happened. So, gifts do come in strange packages sometimes.

Thank you everybody. This whole process can make you stronger and better. And if you feel you canít be employed...you are very wrong. What happened to me is proof that the past can be left behind...
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
4Bobby (09-24-2019), AnieLove56 (09-26-2019), bellisq (09-24-2019), de8er (09-26-2019), e-Tex (09-23-2019), fbopnomore (09-24-2019), John M (09-24-2019), Kimimi (09-26-2019), Lesliezack (09-24-2019), LifeTraveler (09-24-2019), Lovebirds (09-24-2019), patchouli (09-23-2019), Ricoluv29 (09-24-2019), safran (09-23-2019), trauma4us (09-23-2019), wholeshabang (10-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,033 Times in 16,600 Posts

Congratulations!! That's a heck of a lot of hard work! And you did it! Wow.....a Commercial Pilot, how awesome is that I'll bet it's a fun & fascinating job, too I'm happy for you ttexrbomb!!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
ttexrbomb (09-23-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 07:14 AM

Thank you for your inspiring post. My husband is going to halfway house in about 6.5 months and we’ve been worrying a little about work and his criminal background. This post sure helped.

Glad to hear you’re doing so great. Wish you the best of luck with your career.
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2019), ttexrbomb (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Congratulations! The BOP doesn't make anything easy so I'm really excited to hear that you have prevailed and went the distance to come out even stronger and better than before. Thanks for posting that!
Old 09-26-2019, 07:31 PM

I am so so glad to read this ttexrbomb. That is just amazing. I will not forget the names that were around when I started coming around and I love reading about success stories like yours. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:59 PM

What an inspiring story! I'm currently stuck in the tunnel with no sign of light (I haven't been sentenced yet, there are a lot of unknowns) and I'm scared of a lot of things involving it, but one of the many is losing the only job I've ever enjoyed and still being employable when I come out the other side of this. Stories like yours definitely give me hope. Thank you, and congrats!
Old 10-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Sealed for Freshness

That's awesome. Becoming a pilot is no easy task. But it looks like you're gonna pull it off. I'm sure you know some regionals are better than others. I am sort of in the industry, I just left a mainline carrier to start grad school. Before I was a flight attendant, I used to work in recruitment and also do background checks and PRIAs. If you have any questions about that stuff feel free to shoot me a message.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:21 PM
The perfect bad example

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambo549 View Post
What an inspiring story! I'm currently stuck in the tunnel with no sign of light (I haven't been sentenced yet, there are a lot of unknowns) and I'm scared of a lot of things involving it, but one of the many is losing the only job I've ever enjoyed and still being employable when I come out the other side of this. Stories like yours definitely give me hope. Thank you, and congrats!
Don't ever lose confidence in yourself. You are about to embark on a journey that if spent well, should be a life changing experience for you. You should spend your time wisely, and focus on getting positioned to better yourself once released. It is possible, it worked for me too.

I earned my associates degree in HVAC after I was released, and bought some land in '94, I've been here ever since. My best wishes for you as you go into your new future. Keep us updated, and check back in after you get released, if you do get incarcerated.

Does anyone spiral into control?