Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Default CBD, Sold where I work. Will it show up in ION scan?

So tonight my husband told me that I should not use my CBD oil products prior to going to visit next weekend. None of the things I use have ANY THC in it, despite the fact that anything lower than .3 is legal both state and federally. According to another inmate it allegedly shows up somehow in a search. I've not visited yet so I have no idea what they use (he's at Forrest City Low) that could detect this, but let's also say that my husband seems to believe everything he hears and every sad story that's told. I'm not saying this can't be true, I'm just seeing if anyone has heard about it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Sealed for Freshness

If whoever manufactured your CBD made a mistake or there was a lapse in quality control, and even a trace amount of THC is detected, it could lead to problems. I used to work in a DOT-regulated position and we were regularly drug tested randomly. We were strongly encouraged to avoid CBD products due to this risk.
His_Queen13 (10-15-2019), miamac (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,077 Times in 8,152 Posts

You would run the risk of having THC detected with the ION scanner. Given that it's not an Rx medication, there is zero tolerance for it. From my understanding, most CBDs have trace THC. Will it show up? I kinda doubt it. But if you want to avoid issues, I wouldn't take a chance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (10-13-2019), yourself (10-14-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:43 PM

So I just did a search on the ION scanner and I know I have heard bad things about it in the past but it was my understanding that they aren't used very much... is this correct? That being said, an article I read has me a bit concerned. I work in a tobacco store that very regularly sells CBD products. Most do not contain any THC (including the ones that I use) but those that do comply not just with state... but with federal standards of less than .3% Would it be helpful if say I had a letter from my boss explaining my place of employment? I'll agree not to use my CBD vape or use the bath bomb until after my visit but I cannot absolutely guarantee that I don't have some residue considering a) the only place I am at more than home is work and b) I was considering wearing a work tshirt considering it seemed to be the least offensive thing I have considering the clothing restrictions.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,077 Times in 8,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
So I just did a search on the ION scanner and I know I have heard bad things about it in the past but it was my understanding that they aren't used very much... is this correct? That being said, an article I read has me a bit concerned. I work in a tobacco store that very regularly sells CBD products. Most do not contain any THC (including the ones that I use) but those that do comply not just with state... but with federal standards of less than .3% Would it be helpful if say I had a letter from my boss explaining my place of employment? I'll agree not to use my CBD vape or use the bath bomb until after my visit but I cannot absolutely guarantee that I don't have some residue considering a) the only place I am at more than home is work and b) I was considering wearing a work tshirt considering it seemed to be the least offensive thing I have considering the clothing restrictions.
Hmm, to be honest I'm hoping another visitor at a BOP facility will comment on the frequency of the testing. It was used a state facility for a while where I visited and it was random determined by a button you push. I think they were supposed to keep it somewhere around 25%. It was a joke, to be honest. Half the time the button didn't work. They had false positives all of the time and sometimes if they were understaffed they skipped it altogether. So my opinion of it as a deterrent is pretty low. Lol
But...you raise an interesting point. If you work in a shop that sells CBD products, you're exposed to it and it could be present even if you haven't recently consumed/applied. I don't know that an employer's note would be accepted, but it wouldn't hurt to have it just in case.

If you have time, I would try and call and speak with someone in visiting. Explain the situation and ask if they have a protocol.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (10-14-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I had an ion test on Saturday. Only the second time in 5 years (thank God). Yes, they still use the scanner. Wonder how many COs would have trouble if they did random screens on them?
Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 PM

Every time I visit they use it. I hear the visitors say it it used regularly. This is at a USP.