Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:05 AM

Default Federal Income Taxes

How do inmates do their taxes?? I have been doing them on-line for 15 years but don't think that is possible inside a Federal facility??
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2019, 05:27 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,857 Times in 13,146 Posts

No, online tax preparation isn't possible in the bop. You can order tax forms, etc. online, from home, and have them mailed to the prison for him to prepare. I mailed mine home for an additional signature.
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/order-products
Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettim View Post
How do inmates do their taxes?? I have been doing them on-line for 15 years but don't think that is possible inside a Federal facility??
Just out of curiosity, what do inmates pay taxes on? I can only assume you're referring to income made before going into prison, right?
Sorry, the question just piqued my curiosity!
Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Some prisoners still earn income when locked up, not from jobs, but the IRS doesn't care.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do inmates pay taxes on? I can only assume you're referring to income made before going into prison, right?
Sorry, the question just piqued my curiosity!
That's correct, income made before going into prison
Old 10-23-2019, 11:17 AM

You can't have a "job" while in BOP, but you might have income-producing assets outside, like a business or rental property, or interest/dividends on investments. Rare, but certainly not unheard of. Presumably, if you have sizable assets, you'll have a partner/agent/attorney/accountant doing the day-to-day financial management for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

With America's current plan to "imprison as many folks as humanly possible", you would probably be surprised to know the large number of retirees who watched their tropical beach retirement homes morph into a federal or State prison cell. Some pensions stop after a criminal conviction (or in the case of Social Security "for every month with even one day locked up in a jail or prison"), but not all of them do. It depends on the rules for each retirement or disability pension system.

Surprise, federal legislators continue to receive their entire pension checks when they are prison inmates, and most of them receive more money than the warden is being paid. That's one benefit when you write the laws.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
With America's current plan to "imprison as many folks as humanly possible", you would probably be surprised to know the large number of retirees who watched their tropical beach retirement homes morph into a federal or State prison cell. Some pensions stop after a criminal conviction (or in the case of Social Security "for every month with even one day locked up in a jail or prison"), but not all of them do. It depends on the rules for each retirement or disability pension system.

Surprise, federal legislators continue to receive their entire pension checks when they are prison inmates, and most of them receive more money than the warden is being paid. That's one benefit when you write the laws.
Social Security stops if incarcerated over 30 days, but if even one day in any month they canx it for the entire month - they did that to me but reinstated because I was not inside over thirty days. This will of course change when I report to ermanent facility. So if you go in , on 31 March, and come out on 1 April, they take Two months SSA - thats BS - SSA is not a benefit I earned it over my lifetime of work, paid into it, it should not stop!!! But thats the law as it stands now, should be repealed. Disability and dependents SSA will not stop...........under the right circumstances........I don't qualify for either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Viettim For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Thanks for the clarification about when Social Security stops paying inmates. I agree, SS and pensions are earned benefits, often paid for with payroll deductions over 30 or more years, they definitely aren't "free". Taking away a family's financial support because one member has joined the world's highest number of prisoners here in America is brutal, but that's something we do very well (or very badly).