Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Asia and Pacific Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Discussions and Information about Asia and Pacific-region Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 07-18-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Vietnam/Canada - Randy James Sachs (Updated 11/08/06)

Canadian man detained in Vietnam - Randy James Sachs
My name is Dee Hogle and I am the mother of twenty-eight year old, Randy James Sachs,of Hamilton Ontario [Canada].

I sit crying at night wondering if my son Randy, will survive the 16 year sentence he was given in 2003 by the Vietnamese court for possession of 1,000 ecstacy tablets. He is currently detained in Thu Duc Prison, Vietnam.

Randy admits that he made a terrible mistake but as his mother, I appeal to the authorities that the punishment is surely too severe in comparrison to his crime?

My son's health has deteriorated since he was first detained and he has developed kidney and extensive dental problems. Randy lost 8 teeth and needs a further 10 urgently repaired. The conditions in the prison are appalling. He shares a 3m x 4m cell with seven other inmates and sleeps on a straw mat on a rough cement floor. Each prisoner is given exactly 84 cm [width] to sleep.

The Embassy of Canada in Vietnam tells me there is no running water, no window and the light never shuts off. Randy says the only fresh air he gets is when rice or soup is passed through a small hatch in the door. One small bowl of soup and a handful of rice is all that is given to each prisoner twice a day.

In 4 months my son has lost 15 lbs due to the poor prison diet. He has developed rashes all over his body due contaminates in the water. Each inmate is only allowed a ration of 18 litres of water per day to drink, shower, wash clothing and clean dishes. My son is still a human being but is detained in conditions unfit for animals.

On behalf of my entire family and Randy's fiancé of five years, I plead for your compassion as we seek support to get us through this nightmare.

We ask that you sign your name to this petition that will be delivered to Amnesty International [Canada], the Embassy of Canada in Vietnam, and respectfully to the Government of Vietnam.

We earnestly seek support to Randy James Sachs' appeal for clemency to the Government of Vietnam, and that he is returned safely to Canada as quickly as possible. We have no ill-feeling towards the Vietnamese people or the Government of Vietnam.

As the mother of Randy James Sachs, I plead that the Government of Vietnam will show mercy and return my son to me.

Respectfully,

Dee Hogle
Mother of Randy James Sachs
Canadian detained in Vietnam

Monday, 18 July 2005

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/randysachs
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 21,590 Times in 5,574 Posts

More information to follow
Old 01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,189 Times in 497 Posts

Dee has posted on here and is a part of the card project,we all sent Randy cards.It is a horrible situation he is in,I send positive thoughts to Randy and Dee and the rest of the family

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Donation Award 

I too, am keeping Dee and her family -esp. Randy- in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the Canadian government will be able to get him transferred back to Canada.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 AM

I would like to THANK everyone @ PTO for your amazing compassion, support & understanding with Randy's nightmare!! It is so difficult to believe that he has endured almost 3 years (May 29) of living hell.
We have just received a xmas card that he SMUGGLED out of Thu Duc Prison! I cry for days, re-reading & touching the card with his scoll on it. I actually tried to smell the card to see if I could catch just a hint of his scent on it...no luck!!
The Canadian Consular will be visiting him in the first week of Feb...I will have him ask if Randy has received his Xmas cards....THANX to everyone who sent them!!
I will update with info. as soon as I receive my report from the Canadian consular in Vietnam...after his Feb. visit!
Take care...
~DEE~
CANADA

Last edited by Rachel; 02-01-2006 at 07:16 PM..
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

That's wonderful news!
Let us know how it goes with his consulate visit.

Rach x

A photo of Randy from Dee:

Last edited by Rachel; 02-01-2006 at 07:19 PM..
Old 03-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Closed

I'd like to offer some help. It's not much... I don't have any sway with the Vietnamese government, nor am I fluent in the language (not yet at least), but I am living in Hanoi, and I am also a fellow Canadian.
I recently graduated from Ryerson U in Toronto and am working in Hanoi as a journalist and writer for the national english daily here. The help I'd like to offer is as a liason. If you need someone in country to send him letters, I'll do it. If you need a place to transit mail, I can forward things for you. I've read about your son's case and feel terrible for him. I'm not in the same province as him, but I'd even be happy to look into visiting if possible. I'm sure he would live to chat with an english speaker his age! I'm glad to hear you're in touch with the Canadian consulate. I know Gabriel Lassard, the current ambassador to Vietnam, and I can pass a message along to him if needed.

Being locked away is one thing, but to be locked away in a foreign country that only half-way wants foreigners hanging around anyway is altogether another. To see what Vietnam can do... even to Canadian citizens... check out the case of Nguyen Thi Hiep. A 44-year-old Canadian woman executed by firing squad even though there was ample proof she was innocent.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Here is the latest update on Randy.
The update comes from the Foreign Prisoners' Support Service.
Attached Files
File Type: doc UPDATE INFORMATION RANDY JAMES SACHS.doc (79.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thank-you for keeping us posted- I have been wondering what has been happening. I will be keeping Randy and his whole family in my prayers and hoping that he is granted clemency. What an inspiration Dee is- I am glad their meeting with Peter MacKay went well and I really, really hope he gets more involved in this!
Old 08-19-2006, 09:31 PM

Hi Everyone.
thank you for keeping Randy in your prayers. We now have someone in Vietnam who helps us send letters to Randy. This person does not wish to be identified and for good reason. Visiting someone, especially a foreigner, in a Vietnamese prison is not at all wise. You can actually be put under surveillance and then things can become more difficult. But our person is working with the Embassy to keep us informed and to enable us to pass messages through the Embassy for Randy. The Canadian Embassy have been terrificly supportive and we could not manage without them.

We hope that people will continue to write to Randy. He's presently seeking a transfer to better conditions. We hope that next year his application for clemency might be successful.

Thank you to this forum and it's moderators, especially Ladyarkles, for always being so supportive. I hope we can give you all some good news oneday soon.

Thank you.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

I am so glad that you have managed to open a new channel of communication!
It would be wonderful to have some good news about him. How is his health and general morale?
Are we able to send him cards and the like through normal mail?
If so, could you PM me his details, I'm leaving Singapore for Taiwan soon and I would like to send him a "hello/goodbye" before we go!

Thanks,
Rach x
Old 10-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

New Update from Randy's mum, Dee.

Appeal for Randy James Sachs

On October 5, 2006, Dee Hogle was informed that Randy will be transferred to a prison in North Vietnam [Hanoi]. This news has been met with welcome relief as Randy will not be so isolated and will be detained in slightly better conditions. The Canadian consul supported the move by diplomatic note. Randy is maintaining good spirits despite his situation and he asks that his love and thanks be passed on to his family and friends for their assistance and ongoing support.

You can send Randy a letter of encouragement to:

Randy James Sachs
Embassy of Canada, Hanoi
Consular Department
31 Hung Vuong
Hanoi, Vietnam
Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Round 2

WOW, this has got to be the saddest, yet inspiring story I have ever read.

I will be sending a letter to Randy, in hopes that it lifts his spirits some. I TRULY hope this new place treats him better and offers some better conditions.

KEEP YPUR HEADS UP! Something positive just has to come out of this.

Stacy
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks for keeping us updated and glad to hear he will be less isolated. I am keeping Randy and his family in my thoughts and hoping and praying he will be back in Canada at some point in the not too distant future.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Hi All!
Here is the latest report on Randy's condition. Please note address to send cards to.

Rach x

The (Canadian) Consul and the Consular Officer went to visit Randy today (7 Nov). Since Oct. 8, he has been detained at the Thanh Xuan Detention Centre, in Ha Tay Province, on the outskirts of Hanoi. Embassy representatives met with the prison officials. They said the administration and visit offices and courtyard appeared clean and airy.

Randy mentioned he was pleased with the transfer. He seems to be in a good physical and mental state. His time is spent working as a "string manager" in the soccer ball stitching department, 6 days a week, 8 hours a day. On Sunday, he relaxes by reading and watching TV. He said he lives in a "spacious" dorm style room with 57 others. Inmates sleep on straw mats on the floor. Showers are bucket style. Premises are kept clean. There are a number of fans in the room, and a TV. Electricity is regular as the facility has a generator.

Randy complained of not having enough rice and drinking water for his needs as he is much bigger than the average Vietnamese. The VN authorities agreed to allocate him more rice and drinking water, at a cost . Food can be bought from the prison canteen. He has given us a list of foodstuff, personal hygiene products, and other items to buy for him . We will do so and make sure he gets all that he requires. He has plenty of money in his prison "account" ($ 680 CDN), so we didn't need to give him more, and will hold the extra $$ at the embassy. Prisoners are allowed to spend only 500,000vnd per month, but jail authorities agreed to let Randy spend 1,000,000vnd, due to his greater food needs. He had been advised that his transfer from the south to the north would cost about 10 million vnd, but there was in fact no charge.

Health wise, he has requested to have a blood test done to detect any possible diseases such as tetanus, Hep A, AIDS, after a fight in which he was cut with a razor blade in the previous detention centre. He also mentioned some dental work needing to be done, and the need for glasses. He requested to be vaccinated against Hep A. Jail authorities have verbally agreed, but the Embassy will send a Diplomatic Note to support his request.

Family and friends can send letters and packages to:

Randy James Sachs,
Trai giam Thanh Xuan,
My Hung, T
hanh Dai,
Ha Tay,
Vietnam.

Items such as foodstuffs, clothes, photos, can also be sent. Reading material not published in Vietnam must be checked and translated before it reaches Randy, and this service comes at a cost. We will bring him some books and magazines on the next visit. Letters Randy wishes to send will be mailed to the Embassy after they have been checked.

Randy is allowed visits from his father, mother and siblings, as well as his wife, and her parents. This has to be requested by Diplomatic Note well in advance. Phone calls are not permitted.

His message to his family: "I love you. Keep working on trying to bringing me back home."
Old 11-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Round 2

I am happy to see things are a little better for Randy. At the sme time, it's just not enough. Man I PRAY you guys can get him back home where he belongs. This is just too much

Stacy
Old 02-13-2016, 08:12 PM

He must be out by now or getting out quite soon?

Wishing him and his family all the best ...