Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Missouri prison system.

Old 08-27-2003, 01:34 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Default Heat in MO Prison - DOC related stories of Inmates that have suffered

As we the loved ones of imates that suffer inhumane conditions due to lack of relief of extreme heat while under the care of the state of Missouri, we need to come together in an organized manner if we hope to be heard and bring about any changes in the future. There will be several threads related to this topic that will allow us to separate specific actions that need to be taken. Please look at all of them and decide how you can help.

In this thread we are looking for any DOC related stories of inmates that have suffered due to excessive exposure to the extreme heat. If you know of someone that has experienced some medical problems in the Missouri prisons please tell us about it here. Any documentation like a medical request, medical emergency incident report, or doctor’s treatment would be even better.

If we could write each story up individually with a letter attached stating that each case has documentation supporting these claims, then it might be taken more seriously.

Please post whatever information you have here. It could be about someone you know personally or just about someone your loved one has heard about that had these unfortunate experiences. I’m sure there are many heat related deaths that our loved ones know about also. We need that info here.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2003, 08:40 PM

Ms. Veggie
My son was at WMCC in Cameron he said it was 110 in the cells when it was so hot this summer. that is very hot . My son lost quite a bit of weight over the summer . It was just too hot to eat.
Dannysmom
Old 10-31-2003, 10:24 PM

Well my guy was in fulton in the heat of the summer. They had fans in the store and would not sell it to any of them, he too lost a lot of wieght do to the 115* in the sell and they are in there 22 hours a day. They did have a couple of days that they didn't get out at all. They said it was cause of the heat.. but it was hotter in the cells then when they could get out and ( take a shower)
Old 10-31-2003, 11:12 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Ladies can you find out how much weight they lost during that time frame. I'd like to document this information.

hslittlebit, do you know of anyone that tried to buy a fan and was denied. I need this in writing please. And can you prove they had fans for sell there?

Are you telling me that at Fulton they are on lock down in their cells 22 hours a day like other level 5 camps but do not have air conditioning? Was it broken or just doesn't exist? Need all the information I can get on each prison.

Was there not even a "watering hole" they could go to and get wet under the sprinklers for a good portion of the day? I understood that the level 5 camps had air conditioning since they do lock down most of the day. That is inhumane. Please send me details on this site please.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 AM

Hi msveggie~~I am Pat from KS and have a good friend who has a son in prison in Moberly Correctional center in Moberly, MO. Do you know if Moberly Correctional has cooling systems? I have so many questions since I have been reading some of these threads and I hate asking my friend since it tears her up having her son in prison.
Thanks, Pat
Old 06-02-2004, 01:17 AM
PTO Research Assistant

Not sure if Moberly has A/C or not. Seems like I've heard someone say on here. I'll have to check and see. You can always do a search in the Missouri forum and look for anything pertaining to Moberly if you want to know more about that prison. If I find out I will post it here for you.

What other questions do you have, Pat?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:35 PM

Ms Veggie ... My man suffered a heat stroke last summer. Which I know you are aware of. He filed an IRR on it, plus wrote to the ACLU. Let me see if he is okay with me sharing the paperwork with you. If so I can send you a copy. I did find out that BG does have a "watering hole", or whatever you want to call it, outside for the guys. I'll have him tell me if it is up and running again this summer. NO AC's in the cells though!
Old 06-05-2004, 09:18 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Question: I was told that not too many guys will go to medical if they suffer from heat related problems because they can get a write up for mutilation or something of this type just as they can get a CDV if they get a sunburn. Anyone else hear anything about this?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:51 PM

I may have heard that as well ... last year when he suffered his. Let me ask him and see what he says.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
mikescitylady

in answer to your question does moberly correctional have a a/c no only fans if the inmates buy them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msveggie
Not sure if Moberly has A/C or not. Seems like I've heard someone say on here. I'll have to check and see. You can always do a search in the Missouri forum and look for anything pertaining to Moberly if you want to know more about that prison. If I find out I will post it here for you.

What other questions do you have, Pat?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:12 AM

my man troy is in fulton right now and i will ask weds. about the heat.
he has a few medical conditions that the heat will make worse.
didnt know this was going on....the more info i find on this place the
worse it seems to be....arg..and i am not suppose to worry right?
he wont tell me anything he is going through, but i find my own info
right here and he just doesnt like that at all as he doesnt want me
to worry about him.
thanks for bringing this to our attn.
julie
Old 07-05-2006, 02:26 PM

hi missveggie,
i have written troy to tell me the truth about this matter at fulton.
i should get a response next week. hopefully its not all like that !!!!
thanks for the info
julie
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Stanley's girl 4 life

Default A/C in Fulton

From what Stan has said hes in the only air condtioned house in the recieving part so if your loved ones arent in that house i am very sorry he is one of the lucky ones he tells me every time we talk how lucky he is to be in the only A/C house they should provide A/C in all of the houses thats cruel and not right to make people suffer in 75 plus temps and be in lockdown almost all day every day.The goverement is cheap and they truely S**K!!

Old 07-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Default the extreme heat in these prisons....found out no fans

well troy called and they have not one fan in recieving at fulton except
in the rec room which they arent there but for an hour a day.
he said that its really hot in the cells as they are for one person but have
2 in them. so, thats what they are dealing with and NO they cannot buy
the fans either. they just dont have them. but if you guys know anything
about tent city in pheonix then you will know there is really nothing we
can do because they just dont care.
if anyone would then tent city wouldve been shut down for green bologna
and no air either. or for that matter at night it gets really cold there and
nothing for the inmates like HEAT. so, i just dont know if anything could
be done but its bad enough that the inmates are saying something about
it now...what ever we can do sign me ;up!!!
julie
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Default Hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysmom View Post
Ms. Veggie
My son was at WMCC in Cameron he said it was 110 in the cells when it was so hot this summer. that is very hot . My son lost quite a bit of weight over the summer . It was just too hot to eat.
Dannysmom
My Boo, is at WMCC also and he is hot as hell there. He says the little 8' fan is making noise, like it wants too quit on him. Oh my I hate that, they meaning the Prison system doesn't give a rats ass about the inmates. They probably feel, hay don't do the crime, huh! I worry about him all the time, a matter of fact I haven't heard from him in 3 days. I hope he's alright.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 AM

my love is at necc in bowling green mo. No a/c in any housing units; only in the"staff offices"he was recently put in the hole for no reason. he has lost 10 pounds in 1 week. he says he and his cellie try to keep it cooler by covering the light and window to the outside, but get into trouble by cos, and lay on the concrete in their boxers, but it still reaches 110 in there they're supposed to get one cup of ice everyday, but he has only got 1 in a whole week.I have called Jeff. City as well as any one who will talk to me at necc.they lied and said they do have fans on them and that he probably refused the Ice.while speaking to many angry family members in the visiting waiting area,I learned that an inmate died a few weeks ago while in the hole.channel 4 news came to necc, and were told that there is a/c at the facility.they deliberately lied.a/c only in staff"offices".how can they get away with this? Isn't this inhumane? And to make it even worse, the housing unit used a the hole is completely filled to the max (200inmates) with no way to keep cool and no end in site, because the min.amount of time spent there (if you are innocent ,: is 90 days.there are guys who have spent 12+ months there because there are only 3 people who work on getting them out.I an desperate for some guidance please!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:02 PM
C.Coleman's Wife for life

I am LIVID! My husband almost passed out today because of the heat. He was walking out of his cell and got very lightheaded and stumbled to his bunk and collapsed. His eyes rolled back in his head. What is it gonna take to get A/C for these guys. I am sorry but this is inhumane. He is in Farmington. Thank God he will be home in two weeks.