Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:48 AM

Default Anti suicide smock

As a European citizen I wanted to ask what difference there is between the classic prisoner uniform and the ANTI SUICIDE SMOCK
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,603 Times in 2,279 Posts

just check it out online, it's a whole different set-up and dressing....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-suicide_smock

A "regular" prison uniform are pants/shirts for men/women... depending on the facility the color and made-up is different... my guy wears khakis and a grey shirt.
fbopnomore (08-04-2020), sidewalker (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Donation Award 

Anti suicide smock is big, thick and usually green thick turtle suit from those who I have seen wear them vs. A regular uniform Green pants and a grey shirt. Or khaki pants and a grey shirt depends on custody classification
Old 08-04-2020, 03:25 PM

the anti-suicide smock worn on the completely naked body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime30 View Post
Anti suicide smock is big, thick and usually green thick turtle suit from those who I have seen wear them vs. A regular uniform Green pants and a grey shirt. Or khaki pants and a grey shirt depends on custody classification
Old 08-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,208 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid2007 View Post
the anti-suicide smock worn on the completely naked body?
Yes. Commonly referred to as the Barney Rubble since it resembles his outfit.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrid2007 View Post
As a European citizen I wanted to ask what difference there is between the classic prisoner uniform and the ANTI SUICIDE SMOCK
Here are google images to what the smock looks like

https://www.google.com/search?q=Anti...w=1366&bih=626
Old 08-04-2020, 06:16 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Yes. Commonly referred to as the Barney Rubble since it resembles his outfit.
Yes, because all belongings that could be used are removed from the room to ensure they are safe as possible.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:11 PM

eh they just use this as an excuse to bum rush the cell, beat you, steal hair fibers, and make you sleep cold or naked on the metal bunk or on the floor with no toilet paper and frequently shut of the toilet and water. Its another manipulation, a fiction, on paper and real-life torture scenario. Sometimes they even trick you into taking medication you have never taken before. If they take you to a padded room, your ass is getting raped.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 AM
Donation Award 

Sometimes it can help save someone from using their clothing to fashion a loop to hang them selves from the door, bed frame...it can save a life. Or stop someone who hero’s swallowing items.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Sometimes it can help save someone from using their clothing to fashion a loop to hang them selves from the door, bed frame...it can save a life. Or stop someone who hero’s swallowing items.

The only time a person tries to commit suicide is if they're being mistreated or bullied by other inmates or guards. Or if they have a discontinuation or break from their medication. We also know that there are a lot of murders in prison which are covered up and are called suicide to avert investigations. And finally the prison system is not the best place for anyone to be in as humans in general are social beings and being locked up in a jail cell 24 hours a day 7 days a week does fuck up with their mental health as it is. So lets not kid ourselves about trying to keep the prisoners safe by locking them up in a straight jacket and placing them in segregation for their safety and well being. Because that there is bullshit. I know that prison is a place for punishment and if you do the crime then you are required to do the time. But the time doesn't have to be inhumane treatment because all that does is makes the organization or system a criminal one inflicting pain on other criminals. just my two cents.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
The only time a person tries to commit suicide is if they're being mistreated or bullied by other inmates or guards. Or if they have a discontinuation or break from their medication. We also know that there are a lot of murders in prison which are covered up and are called suicide to avert investigations. And finally the prison system is not the best place for anyone to be in as humans in general are social beings and being locked up in a jail cell 24 hours a day 7 days a week does fuck up with their mental health as it is. So lets not kid ourselves about trying to keep the prisoners safe by locking them up in a straight jacket and placing them in segregation for their safety and well being. Because that there is bullshit. I know that prison is a place for punishment and if you do the crime then you are required to do the time. But the time doesn't have to be inhumane treatment because all that does is makes the organization or system a criminal one inflicting pain on other criminals. just my two cents.
Understood.
But the reasons humans commit suicide are never clear to us, only to those who make that ultimate choice, and in that moment. I’m sorry that anyone feels that is their best choice.

Last edited by Ms Sunny; 08-05-2020 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Sp
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
Lifetime30 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 PM
Donation Award 

Wow I am shocked that people actually think that the ONLY reason smocks are used is to abuse the patient esc. This is by far not true. If a patient say to us I want to hurt myself or kill myself. We must immediately place on suicide precautions for the patient safety. Most prisons that I have worked at take this serious. And I'll be Damm if I allow someone to make mockery of someone who could potentially harm themselves. I'm not saying all places are like this. But we also have our jobs on the line and not everyone is stupid enough to do these things in the comments. Furthermore, some people shout suicide to be removed from the block due to owed payments or some type of protection to be shipped. Let me tell you suicides do happen ALOT! Inmates who usually commit suicide are not even on suicide watch due to the fact that they really did not want anyone stopping them. Smocks are for the patients protection
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
ChloeMoe (08-13-2020), Ms Sunny (08-06-2020), sass4221 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born View Post
We will never know the true reason a person committed suicide unless they leave a suicide note or verbally expressed themselves. I take this situation serious because this is a human life we are speaking on. It isn't always related to being bullied or medication. At times it could be related to a person who is unable to cope with the lifestyle change. From having freedom to possibly never having any freedom again. From the feeling of being at the top of the world to being another number. At the end of the day we will never know.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
Francis213 (08-06-2020), MizzyMuffling (08-06-2020), Ms Sunny (08-06-2020), safran (08-05-2020), sass4221 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Owned
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,617 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:
Wow I am shocked that people actually think that the ONLY reason smocks are used is to abuse the patient esc. This is by far not true. If a patient say to us I want to hurt myself or kill myself. We must immediately place on suicide precautions for the patient safety. Most prisons that I have worked at take this serious. And I'll be Damm if I allow someone to make mockery of someone who could potentially harm themselves. I'm not saying all places are like this. But we also have our jobs on the line and not everyone is stupid enough to do these things in the comments. Furthermore, some people shout suicide to be removed from the block due to owed payments or some type of protection to be shipped. Let me tell you suicides do happen ALOT! Inmates who usually commit suicide are not even on suicide watch due to the fact that they really did not want anyone stopping them. Smocks are for the patients protection

I agree with you and I was the inmate! Im saddened by some of the blanket statements; some of them sound ill informed, some sound tinged with bitterness.
MizzyMuffling (08-06-2020), sass4221 (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
We will never know the true reason a person committed suicide unless they leave a suicide note or verbally expressed themselves. I take this situation serious because this is a human life we are speaking on. It isn't always related to being bullied or medication. At times it could be related to a person who is unable to cope with the lifestyle change. From having freedom to possibly never having any freedom again. From the feeling of being at the top of the world to being another number. At the end of the day we will never know.

I understand that bullying and non medication are not the only instances where a person could be suicidal. But honestly how being isolated in solitary confinement with no cloths and sleeping on a cold metal bed with no coverings or heat at night do any good for someones mental state? wouldn't the humane alternative be assessment and have a psychologist talk to the person or some type of treatment other than the jacket and solitary confinement?
Old 08-06-2020, 04:02 AM
Donation Award 

So that you know a psychologist is required to talk with the person in the initial 24 hours and a psychiatrist. They must reassess the patient to determine if suicide watch is warranted and than must document on the patient. Unless these individuals are falsifying documentation this is a must. If a person is on suicide precautions someone should be sitting watching them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (08-06-2020), Ms Sunny (08-06-2020), safran (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:14 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I agree with you and I was the inmate! Im saddened by some of the blanket statements; some of them sound ill informed, some sound tinged with bitterness.
Exactly, I know some prisms may not be the best
. But the overgeneralization is too extreme.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifetime30 For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (08-06-2020), Ms Sunny (08-06-2020)