Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Perpetually Lost W/O HIM

Default ***usp Atlanta***

My man just got moved to usp atlanta from OTC in Oklahoma city. He says they have alot of roaches, the food sucks, and to top it off the usp is on lockdown. He can only he out of his cell for an hour. Lots of Violence going on in there. I worry about him but I know he can hold his own.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM

My husband is in Atlanta too. He called and said that there are 3 men to a cell, so someone has to sleep on the floor w/o a matress and there are mice everywhere. He said it was really old and run down and the worst place he's ever been. But he is waiting for transfer out, so I hope he won't be there long. I hope your guy gets transferred out, or has already.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM

My hubby just got transfered to usp Atlanta this week also from OTC awaiting a transfer out. I haven't spoken to him yet. OMG i had no idea it was that bad. How often are they allowed to call? Are the calls collect? and does anyone know how long the transfer process takes?

I pray that all of our loved ones return home unscathed.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahspassion
My hubby just got transfered to usp Atlanta this week also from OTC awaiting a transfer out. I haven't spoken to him yet. OMG i had no idea it was that bad. How often are they allowed to call? Are the calls collect? and does anyone know how long the transfer process takes?

I pray that all of our loved ones return home unscathed.
They are allowed to call when they are let out for one hour, the times vary depending on what time their section is let out. There are only 2 phones there and the lines are sometimes 25 people deep. The calls there are just like any other Fed...they can do the prepaid thing, if he has money on his books. OR he can call collect if he doesn't have money. The collect calls are like $8.00 for 15 minutes and prepaid are $4 for 15 mintues...so its worth the effort to get money on his books plus he can call your cell phone if its prepaid, which is a real plus cause you dont' have to be tied to the house phone waiting for a call. Mine has been at Atlanta for three weeks now. The planes going out leave M, tu, and wed. If he is there on Wedn morning, he will be there til at least the next monday. They get them up like at midnight to start the process if they are on that mornings plane.

The food there is awful. So if he has money on his books, he'll be ok cause he can buy from store, the only thing is that if he buys and leaves, he looses whatever he bought but for me, I'd rather him order and have it, if he leaves then oh well, he was at least prepared.

My husband said that the other night for entertainment he put saltine crackers at the door and watched the mice fight over it....yes really.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Default usp atlanta

Hi..I'm new here and looking information of usp atlanta, i'm so worried after read your comments ...my fiance was transferred the last week to this penitentiary, i called to got some information the person was so rude just he told me we have to wait 30 days until he can receive visits...i will be so glad if you want share information (mail, calls, visits, etc. ) thank you
Old 12-14-2007, 05:53 PM

I have a friend there that I have been corresponding to..he said that they are having a drought there so they can only shower 7-9pm and that they can only do wash on the weekends and they have 4 washers and 4 dryers and 180 men to do their wash..unbelievable...he mentioned that he talked to his counselor and put in for a transfer..he has been there for over a year..his family is in NY so he is hoping to get closer to home....

Old 12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Formerly Ray's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesram
Hi..I'm new here and looking information of usp atlanta, i'm so worried after read your comments ...my fiance was transferred the last week to this penitentiary, i called to got some information the person was so rude just he told me we have to wait 30 days until he can receive visits...i will be so glad if you want share information (mail, calls, visits, etc. ) thank you
I have a good friend who is at USP-Atl. He has been there sice April. I have been to visit him probably 10-12 times but right now he has lost his visits due to a contraband charge. If you have any specific questions I will be glad to try to help you out.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

My man was in there a couple of years ago for 2.5 years. Yes it is an old prison, and does come with the creepy crwlies. I dont know about the mice though. My guy never mentoned it, and trust me, if it was a bi issue, he wouldve grumbled away to me!!

If anyone would like any info, just holla!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:15 AM

WOW@ All I've read thus far. PRAYERS TO & FOR ALL.

My son was transfered there today. I'm sick. We need to get together to keep others from traveling these horrific roads to nowhere. YES WE CAN
A CHANGE HAS GOT TO COME/HAPPEN NOW NOT LATER.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM

My husband is in USP Atlanta and has been there for a while. It's not that bad. From our understanding the prison has changed alot in the past 2 years. It used to be a USP but now it's an FCI. He was on lockdown for a month when he got there waiting for a bed space. He only got to call for about 5 minutes early in the morning when they let them out to take a shower. After that he was moved to a cell, he has a job, plays on a softball team, and is taking two classes. So he stays pretty busy during the day. He hasn't mentioned any bugs, but he did see rats during his lockdown phase. It's not the best, but it's definitely not the worst. Hope this gives you a little peace and comfort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badwsc For This Useful Post:
MoodyKitten (05-13-2009), sage26 (01-02-2010)
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM

My dad will be transferred there tomorrow from Tallahassee en route to South Carolina. Not sure how long he'll be there as he was in Tallahassee for a month. Any info on where they keep the transit guys will be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Red face usp atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwsc View Post
My husband is in USP Atlanta and has been there for a while. It's not that bad. From our understanding the prison has changed alot in the past 2 years. It used to be a USP but now it's an FCI. He was on lockdown for a month when he got there waiting for a bed space. He only got to call for about 5 minutes early in the morning when they let them out to take a shower. After that he was moved to a cell, he has a job, plays on a softball team, and is taking two classes. So he stays pretty busy during the day. He hasn't mentioned any bugs, but he did see rats during his lockdown phase. It's not the best, but it's definitely not the worst. Hope this gives you a little peace and comfort.
Its nice to hear a positive about this place my hubby was transferred there May 8th from Morgan Co. Al. I havent got to hear from him since since I cannot seem to get collect calling rates from there to me here in Hsv, AL. He has tried to call but I cannot accept due to no $$ on calling account. He will only be there for about 4 months, any info about this VAC calling would be appreciated. Thanks, Tracy
Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyKitten View Post
Its nice to hear a positive about this place my hubby was transferred there May 8th from Morgan Co. Al. I havent got to hear from him since since I cannot seem to get collect calling rates from there to me here in Hsv, AL. He has tried to call but I cannot accept due to no $$ on calling account. He will only be there for about 4 months, any info about this VAC calling would be appreciated. Thanks, Tracy
Your welcome. The calls are prepaid. My husband calls me on my cell phone. I don't have to pay anything. I have to put money on his books online at Western Union every month. That's the easiest way, you can only use $70 a month on phone which is 300 minutes a month. We break that down to 10 mins a day. Caller ID says unavailable We are from Decatur.
The Following User Says Thank You to badwsc For This Useful Post:
sage26 (01-02-2010)
Old 01-02-2010, 02:33 PM
His wife 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyKitten View Post
hey moodykitten i was just wonding how longago this was. my finace was just at morgan co.al and he is now at limestone waitng to go to USP ATL. to do fed time. just want to know if we might have meet at this time. just pm. lisa
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Sage, her post was in May of 2009. In each post at the upper left side is the date and time of the posts. Hope this helps....
The Following User Says Thank You to Loblolly For This Useful Post:
sage26 (01-03-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Donation Award 

FYI...
The place has huge rats. I saw a family of them in the DCU visiting room. This was November 2009. I haven't seen them since then. The place is very, very old. My husband also has complained about the food and the amount of it. The staff can be real a**holes, but there are also some of them that are ok. During the winter, layer clothes when visiting. It can get very cold.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
waiting for daddy

Talking Wow!!!Anyone have answers

Hi my man just got sent to USP Atlanta yesterday. He called this morning and let me know he said that he wont be able to get visits for 30 days but hopefully he wont be there that long. He still hasnt got sentenced so I am stilll waiting to know when he is coming home. He says they only get to take showers three days a week but he can call everyday hopefully.

Does anyone know how long he will be staying there? He stayed in florida for about a month. Do you think he will stay that long there? I sure hope not after reading these posts it sounds awful.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Thanked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts

I guess this is where My grandson will end up at! I would like to hear from some of you who have a loved one there. He is at Morgan CO Jail at the moment, but is in transit. Let me here from some of you, I am in Decatur
Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
His wife 4 life

I don't know any thing bout the prison there but my man just left from morgan co jail, so how long has he been there? hope you find some answer.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Is there not any one own PTO who has a loved one at Atlanta FCI? I think my grandson will go there any day he has 7 1/2 mo left. If you have information let me know. You can private message me or put own board. As soon as I know something will post it also.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM

my husband was in Atlanta USP for a little while, they typically do not stay there long, I've posted alot about Atlanta if you search for posts. it's not a great place, it's huge and old and ratty and roachy. For the first month or so they are in a lockdown stage and they only get out of their cells like once a day to shower and use the phone and it's usually really early in the morning for about 30 minutes. then they put them in general population and they get some type of job. The visits are so so, they process you really quick, but then you have to sit across the aisle instead of side by side, they can't get up at all for anything, they have to raise their hand if they want to go to the restroom or wait on them to call for a restroom break. It's somewhat laid back though, but most people that are there usually stay for about 6-8 months and are transferred on out to somewhere better. My husband is in Yazoo City and it's further away but the visits are much better, and it's a lot better environment to him than Atlanta. We are from your area too I noticed.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Thank you for posting about USP in Atlanta. I hope he don't go there but I am afraid he will, After reading the other post it really worry me. Yes we are close. My grandson went to Morgan co in Dec, own Fed VP. He has been held here but will be leaving soon.
How was the visits? Is it every day? Also I suppose the food is bad. What phone Co do they use? Is it all like the other Fed prison? Also do we send the money orders to Iowa? for commissary? I will send a western union the day they pick him up. It says In Transite own bop web, so that means he will be moved soon. As of today he is still here.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM

My husband was in Morgan county, then the day of his court in Birmingham, they left him up in Shelby County until after sentencing, then he got moved to Anniston for like less than a week or two, then he was moved to a private federal prison somewhere in Georgia for about two weeks, then from there on to Atlanta, it was like a roller coaster ride. Then after he had gotten settled in Atlanta one day out of the blue they were like come on get your stuff and he was sent to Oklahoma for about two weeks and then Yazoo City, where he has now put a stay in for at least another year, they are ready to move him to a low even though he has a ridiculous amount of time left. He didn't absolutely hate Atlanta but it was a big come and go place, the visits really weren't awful either, just where he's at now we can sit next to each other and he can put his arm around me. But it takes forever to see him now when you get to the place, in Atlanta they were really quick in getting you back there to the visiting room. The visits are everyday thru the week too except tues and wed, so I always went on a Thursday, Friday, or Monday and it was always busy. I never went on Sat or Sun cause they said it was too crowded and would make people go home once it reached full capacity. The food was I think a little better cause they had microwaves there and he could make different things, where he's at now no microwaves. Phones are the same as everywhere else and money orders, I send all mine online on the western union inmate money page. I would go visit him as much as possible even though it's on camera and talk as much as possible cause once those 300 minutes start that's all you get, and the visits are much further away, maybe he'll end up in talledega though? that's not too far.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM

My grandson left today, he called us and is at a place called RA Deyton Lovejoy, Ga? He said he was being processed there and would go to Atlanta, They picked up 5 Fed inmate from morgan co this morning. I am trying to find out all i can about this Atlanta Fed. Is it really the old Penitentiary? Now a Fed? So the phone calls are like every other Fed place, You put money in their account and they move it too there phone account for the 300 min? I just got threw with brother at FCI Elkton but this is hard, Do they give them a job? I hope so. Any one got any inf please pass it own.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM

He was sent to USP Atlanta, Thursday. Is it true they want keep you that long there? This is where the man told us he would be staying the rest of his time, 7 mo
5 days left. How is the visiting there. He said he was already playing softball last night was put on 1st base. I hope some of you who have loved ones there will post some information so we don't feel along.