Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 AM

Default Intro -- mr. know from Tennessee

Hello. I am new here too. I am an ex fed inmate. I did some of my time at Butner, NC in the BOP's SOTP (Sex Offender Treatment Program). I've been out for some time now and still have not put the whole experience behind me. If I can help anyone out there who has a family member/friend who may be going to Butner...let me know and I will tell you what I can. Thank you David for this site!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 06:14 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,640 Times in 14,601 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO! Glad you've found us and glad that you are exploring other forums and posting as well.....good for you!! Congratulations on being home and the offer to help others. That's what PTO is all about

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
mr. know (10-06-2009)
Old 10-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,382 Times in 3,117 Posts

Welcome to PTO! You’ve come to the right place for comfort and support. Congrats on your successful release. Yeah, it takes some time to shake it off, I know. However, this is a great place for you to be. There is lots of non-judgmental understanding, help and support here in the PTO community.
One day at a time is my best advice~
Old 10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,177 Times in 2,324 Posts

welcome to pto this is a great site for support and encouragement

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Thank you. I have been looking around on here for the last couple days and found some interesting information and people...
Old 10-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Default Need info on Butner

Hey!! My boyfriend is looking at moving to Butner and we want to get all the info possible. We have heard a few things but don't know would like all the info we can. I will tell you what we have heard and if you or anybody else could let me know what is/isn't true. We heard that it is a big medical facility so you have lots of TB, etc and that it has the sex offender program so you can't hardly get transferred there if you're not a sex offender. Are there lots of different areas/sections to the prison (like a medical division, sex offender division, or is everybody together?) Also, do they have the email system and how is visitation. Are the guards ok to deal with??
Any ifnormation you can give me would be great!!
Thank You and congrats on your release
Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Hi I am new here too.. I am so glad I found this place that is really helping me to understand the prison system.. my husband is serving his time in Ware Unit in Colorado City, Tx. Does any one knows if SO have to do 100% of their time or can they be released in Parole ??

thanks,
MD
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 PM

Default SOTP in Butner, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralizrn77 View Post
Hey!! My boyfriend is looking at moving to Butner and we want to get all the info possible. We have heard a few things but don't know would like all the info we can. I will tell you what we have heard and if you or anybody else could let me know what is/isn't true. We heard that it is a big medical facility so you have lots of TB, etc and that it has the sex offender program so you can't hardly get transferred there if you're not a sex offender. Are there lots of different areas/sections to the prison (like a medical division, sex offender division, or is everybody together?) Also, do they have the email system and how is visitation. Are the guards ok to deal with??
Any ifnormation you can give me would be great!!
Thank You and congrats on your release
It is not a medical facility. There is an adjoining hosptial facility near Butner but that one houses inmates with medical problems, etc. FCI Butner is the BOP's crown jewel of treatment facilities. I can give you a pretty good run down of place. There are 5 units are I remember; 2 of them were treatment units. One for drug related charges (ie, DAP) and the other sex offense related (SOTP). SO's are housed by themselves in the upper compound in their own unit. General population are housed in the other units. There is mixing of inmates when it comes to the rec yard, college area, and of course working in facilities or UNICOR. However, beyond the typical loud mouth who thinks he is inside for some "better" crime the SOs are treated very fairly by most of the other inmates and ALL of the staff. Disrespect (unless an SO disrespects a member of the CO staff first) is not tolerated! Everyone there knows that SOs are there for treatment. That being said, he can expect the COs there to be better than your average facility.
There are several catches though. One is time; he has to have at least 18 or more months on his sentence to have a chance of getting. There was a long wait when I was there and I lucked out because I was sentenced to the LSCI next door. Another is that he HAS to volunteer to go. No one is forced there, everyone can leave whenever he wishes. Lastly it is a 24/7 in house therapeutic program. Everyone is encouraged to talk about their crimes, criminal histories, problems, etc. It takes some stern stuff to do it and I was there longer than almost anyone at the time of my release (40 plus months.) So, I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything and I hope your loved one comes back to you soon safe and sound! It's great he has some one to come home to.