Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM

anger. yep I am sure that we all go thru times of anger, even as a Christian. I know right now I am going thru some trying times w/my sons x step mom. she is ok but there have been some things said that really makes me angry. and I have had to seek Gods forgiveness. I still have moments but I am getting better at it.

The Beatitudes of Anger Management Part 1

Today’s Truth
In your anger, do not sin” (Ephesians 4:26).

Friend to Friend
Everyone has to deal with anger. The challenge is to deal with anger in the right way. Anger is powerful - an emotional warning that something is wrong. We have been hurt or rejected. Something has changed and we don’t like it!

Anger itself is not sin. We just have to learn to express anger in the right way. Mishandled anger is destructive but anger that is handled correctly can become a tool for good. God’s Word is filled with tips for learning to handle anger in a healthy and godly way.

Be still.
Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.”

If we are busy, it is much easier to ignore or refuse to face and deal with the real source of anger. Anger that is not dealt with in the right way accumulates over time, allowing bitterness to take root and rage to simmer just below the surface of everything we do, say, think or feel. In order to manage anger, we need to incorporate frequent and regular “stops” into our schedules; time set aside to simply be still and hear the voice of God.

Be quiet.
James 1:19-20 “Everyone should be slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.”

Our first response to conflict is often not a response at all … but a reaction. We jump in with a brutal rebuttal or a thoughtless correction – which is like pouring gasoline on a fire. An explosion is bound to happen. Our first action should be to stop and think instead of rushing to respond in a way that could escalate tensions or provoke an offensive response from others. Listen to the other person before responding. Try counting to ten before saying anything. This may not address the anger directly, but it can minimize the damage you will do while angry.

Be wise.
Proverbs 25:28 “Like a city whose walls are broken down, is a man who lacks self-control.”

Wisdom is doing the right thing at the right time for the right reason. Anger management comes from wisdom rooted in self-control. I love the story of Jesus driving the money-changers out of His Father’s temple. In John 2:15, Scripture says Jesus “made a whip out of cords.” Don’t miss this picture. At the height of His anger, Jesus gathered several cords and braided a whip. I imagine it took several minutes at least to form a whip substantial enough to drive grown men anywhere. I think Jesus was so angry that He knew He needed to cool off, so He deliberately chose to be still, quiet and wise. When we are close to losing control of anger, we need to be wise.

Be discerning.
Psalm 4:4 “In your anger do not sin … search your hearts and be silent.”

The longer I work with people the more I realize that there is always a reason for their behavior. Hurt people – hurt people. When you are angry at someone, ask yourself why. Think back to what led up to the conflict. Was it something someone said to you? Has a past problem triggered your present anger? Give yourself time to consider why you are upset and what you should do to handle it in a way that pleases God.

God created us with the capacity for emotions. That means He has a right plan and a right place for emotions in our lives. Anger management is a spiritual discipline that God honors, blesses and empowers. Tomorrow, we will look at four more ways God gives us to control anger.

Let’s Pray
Father, please forgive me when I allow anger to control what I say and do. I want to honor You in the way I manage my emotions – especially the anger in my life. Fill my heart with Your peace. Help me cultivate the spiritual discipline of anger management and learn how to control my emotions instead of allowing them to control me.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.

Now it’s your turn
Evaluate the level of anger in your life. Would people who know you well describe you as an angry person?
Identity the source of your anger; then make the commitment to face and deal with whatever is causing your anger. Review each anger management tip.
Which one jumps out at you as a starting point for learning to control anger in your life?
Read and memorize the verse of Scripture listed with that tip.
Pray – asking God to show you the steps you need to take today to manage the anger in your life.
Record your thoughts and the truths God gives you in your journal.

Mary Southerland, Girlfriends in God devotions
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-19-2012), mandymoo (03-19-2012), szcunane (03-19-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 AM

The Beatitudes of Anger Management Part 2

Today’s Truth
In your anger, do not sin” (Ephesians 4:26).

Friend to Friend
A minister was making a wooden trellis to support a climbing vine. As he was pounding away, he noticed a little boy watching him. The youngster didn't say a word so the preacher kept on working, thinking the boy would leave – but he didn’t.

Pleased at the thought that his work was being admire, the pastor finally asked, “Trying to pick up some pointers on gardening?” The little boy said, “Nope. I’m just waiting to hear what a preacher says when he hits his thumb with a hammer.”

The people around us want to see what happens when life pushes our buttons and anger puts the squeeze on our emotions. While God created us with the capacity for strong emotions, it is our responsibility to control them instead of allowing them to control us. Yesterday, we looked at four ways to manage anger.
Here are four more:

Be focused.
Psalm 37:8 “Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil.”
I witnessed the utter strength and beauty of our daughter-in-law as she went through hours of labor during the birth of our twin grandchildren. The pain was excruciating, but Jodi worked through each contraction by doing two things: controlling her breathing and choosing a focus point. We need to do the same when we are angry. Take a deep breath and focus on the peace of God.

Be understanding.
James 1:19 “Everyone should be quick to listen.”

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason—to listen twice as much as we speak. When you find yourself getting angry with someone, take time to listen to what the other person has to say. Make sure you understand their viewpoint. In fact, it might be a good idea for you to repeat it back to make sure you do get the real point. Only then, when you have processed that information and reigned in your emotions, should you offer a reply. Listening for the purpose of understanding plays a significant role in anger management.

Be kind.
Proverbs 15:1 “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”

It had been one of “those” mornings and I was behind schedule in preparing to teach the women’s Tuesday morning Bible study at our church. I am fairly certain I did not exude peace and joy as I rushed around. Finally, it looked like everything was ready – everything except my heart. I knew I needed to spend some time alone with God before standing to teach His Word, so I found a quiet room where I could escape for a few minutes of solitude. As I began to pray, the door flew open and crashed against the wall behind it as the husband of one of our group leaders burst into the room. I could tell by the look on his face that he was not happy and that whatever was wrong was definitely my fault. In a very loud and very angry voice, the man began to explain the problem, ending his tirade with the question, "And just what are you going to do about it?" I knew what I wanted to say to the man. I also knew God didn't want me to say it. In a rare moment of wisdom, I faced my accuser with a smile and whispered, "I'll tell you exactly what I am going to do. I am going to do whatever it takes to make you happy."

I was completely unprepared for the man's reaction. His mouth fell open, his eyes widened in surprise - no, make that shock - and he stumbled backwards as if I had hit him. We stared at each other for what seemed like an hour before he finally whispered back, "Thank you." Without another word, the man turned and literally ran out of the room. The most amazing part of this story is that from that day on, he has been one of my strongest encouragers.

The next time someone makes you angry, put a smile on your face. It is hard to stay upset when you are smiling. Smiling is one of the best anger management tips because you can do it anytime, almost anywhere, and to pretty much anyone. The next time you are angry, choose to give a friendly smile of understanding, appreciation, or patience as you listen to the other side of the story.

Be ready.
1 Peter 5:8 “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.”

The best way to manage anger is to prevent it in the first place. How? Balance your schedule and priorities so that you will not live in a constant state of frustration and exhaustion. Avoid spending time with angry people. Proverbs 22:24 says, “Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man; do not associate with one easily angered.”

We really do become like the people with whom we spend the most time. Pray constantly, asking the Holy Spirit to help you cultivate the habits that encourage peace – not anger. Memorize Scripture. The Word of God is a powerful weapon in dealing with and managing our emotions.

Anger is today’s emotional epidemic. What does it take to make you angry? Do you have a short fuse or a long one? How many relationships in your life have been damaged by your anger? Remember … more important than the way you were and more important than the way you are … is the way you can be. Right now, surrender your anger to God and thank Him for a new beginning.

Let’s Pray
Father, I need Your power and strength to help me control my anger. Forgive me for the damage and pain my anger has caused the people in my life. I want my emotional health to honor and please You.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn

Review all of the anger management tips we have explored.
How can you plug these tips into your daily life?
I encourage you to recruit a girlfriend who will hold you accountable for the way you handle anger. Check in with her once a week. Be honest and open about your anger level. Journal your thoughts … the truths God gives you … the progress you make.

Mary Southerland, Girlfriends in God devotions
The Following User Says Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Thanked 3,188 Times in 880 Posts

gosh, i could have used these the other day - - I lost my temper with my 7 year old grandson . . .I don't usually lose my temper, but I've been a little on edge this past week . . and he pushed every button of my that he could . . .and BOOM, I yelled . . .and then I was ashamed. I apologized, he forgave me. He did say something that made me smile afterwards, "Mimi, when you yell, you do it too nice - -and your voice sounds like everyone else's (I don't have a lot of volume when I talk)" . . .

I still feel bad that I handled the situation so poorly. I hate letting anger build up in me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szcunane For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-20-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM

I think all of us go thru times of 'losing it'. one of the things my hubs deals with is temper. For the most part he has allowed the Lord to be his 'control' knob, but occassionally - especially with the dog - he gets impatient and allows that anger to surface. minutes later he is apologizing.
I think the worst part of anger - especially if you are blowing up at a person, is that the tongue is vile. we say things and then regret it, but the person you aim your anger at has already heard the words. in the book of James it talks about how bad the tongue is. well put that in with a temper and look out!.
But thank God for His grace and forgiveness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-21-2012), szcunane (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM

yesterday was my 41st wedding anniversary
The Following User Says Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

The Devil's Three Greatest Lies

He is a liar, and the father of lies. John 8:44

Deception. It is the devil’s specialty. The Bible says, “He deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:19). And he deceives the whole world through lies. Has he deceived you?

I talk to people nearly every day who have been deceived by the devil into thinking that (1) God is not good, (2) God does not really love them, and (3) God cannot really be trusted. Those are perhaps Satan’s three greatest lies … and so many people, Christians included, subconsciously believe them, to one degree or another. Why is that?

BAD CIRCUMSTANCES
All of us have a strong tendency to evaluate God’s goodness, love, and plan for our lives based on current circumstances. If things are going well for us, we tend to see God in a positive, biblical light. But, if things suddenly go south (we encounter job loss, health loss, marriage and family trouble), we start to question the goodness of God and the promises in His Word.

Circumstances are a faulty means for evaluating God and His character. Job’s wife fell into that trap. As she viewed all of the tragedy that had befallen her and Job, she surmised that God wasn’t good, He didn’t love them, and He was not worthy of their trust. Her circumstance-driven response to Job was “curse God and die” (Job 2:9).

Sadly, many follow her advice as they cannot seem to reconcile their trials and hardships on one hand with a good and loving God on the other. The devil steps in at that moment to say, “The reason this equation doesn’t compute in your mind is because God is not good, loving and kind. The pain of your trials is real and undeniable, but the goodness of God is obviously a cruel, sadistic joke. Better to just curse God and die.”

The truth of the matter is this: God is good, regardless of bad circumstances. God loves you and me, regardless of the storms that may pour into our lives. God has a good plan for us, regardless of what it might look like right now.

MAKING A CAKE
While I am not a chef by any stretch of the imagination, I have, on occasion, helped my wife, Debbie, make a cake. Cake is something most of us LOVE because it tastes great. But a cake doesn’t taste too good if you start eating it before it is ready. Flour and raw eggs and vanilla extract and baking powder and canola oil aren’t the least bit tasty as they sit in the mixing bowl.

Perhaps you have been guilty of tasting the bitter ingredients of your life as they sit unstirred in the mixing bowl. Perhaps you have secretly determined that the Master Chef, Jesus Christ, must not be much of a Master because the dish He is preparing – your life – tastes terrible. Hmmm.

WAIT ON THE LORD
God knows what He is doing. Put down your spoon and quit judging the product before it is finished. Trust God and His Word. The cross of Jesus Christ is God’s permanent reminder to you and me that he is good, He loves us, and He can be trusted (Romans 8:32). And what’s more … even when rotten things get thrown in the mixing bowl, He works them together for good by His amazing grace (Romans 8:28).
The devil’s lies or God’s truth: which one will you choose to believe today?

Jeff Schreve, From His Heart devotions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d'gal For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-21-2012), mandymoo (03-22-2012), szcunane (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,884 Times in 1,674 Posts

WOW!!! 41 YEARS!!!!! Congrats to both of you!!! You've really got what it takes to make it 41 YEARS.... and I hope you enjoy the next 41 years together!!! WOW!!!!!
GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!!!! So wonderful to see such an inspirational marraige!!!
I hope you enjoyed celebrating....and got a trophy!!!
Love and prayers and admiration!!
XXOO
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM

Thanked 3,188 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl1 View Post
that is wonderful -- did you do anything special? I hope it was terrific and that the year ahead is blest with good health and happy days. And may God give you the strength to continue to grow and serve together!
The Following User Says Thank You to szcunane For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Sz & 1bird........... Thank you for the great wishes and remarks. indeed to stay married these days is a milestone. not always easy, but God has always been our glue in the hard times, as well as in everyday life.

we had planned on going into town (an hour drive) and see a movie and do dinner (OLIVE GARDEN!!) but our doggie (9yrs) was having some problems and we didnt want to leave her alone in house that long. so we thought we would do it on Wed since we had to go into town anyhow for shopping. well, that didnt work either.
car is in bad shape (the computer in car) so we ate lunch @ mcd's and did our shopping and straight home. Although doing dinner or something is always a fun
(and sometimes romantic) we are just happy to be together. last yr I almost lost him
to blood clots in the lungs. I am grateful God still gives us time together.
1bird2 (03-22-2012), mandymoo (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Running to Win

Today’s Truth
I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.(Philippians 3:12)

Friend To Friend
The year was 2008. The race started out like any other race: runners at the starting line, fans in the stands, excitement and anticipation thick in the air. But this race was a big one. An indoor track and field conference championship for the collegiate women’s 600 meter run.

At the sound of the gun, the runners took off – each with a heart longing to win the race – each competing fiercely for the prize. Just three quick laps stood between the four athletes and their destinies. It was clear from the beginning, this race would be tight.

My family and I watched on an internet video as the long and lean runners vied for the lead. In unison, we gasped with horror when, as they began the final lap, one of the competitors caught the slightest edge of another runner’s shoe and went crashing down onto the track. My heart sunk when she fell. I didn’t know this fallen woman, but I do know what it feels like to fall and to have your hopes dissolve in a split second. I felt the despair of the crash with her.

The fans in the crowd all stood to their feet and rallied cries of encouragement to this young runner. The seconds that followed will be etched into my heart and mind forever. She could’ve walked off the track and everyone would’ve understood. She could’ve thrown in the towel and quit the race in humiliation. But she didn’t quit. She got up and kept running. Now a full quarter-lap behind the other runners, this athlete fixed her eyes on the track before her and ran like the wind.

With just half a lap to go, this determined young woman overtook third place. Unbelievable. The crowd swelled with amazement. Then, just a hundred yards before the finish line, she inched up to the other two runners and – at the tape – leaned forward to win the race! No. Stinkin’. Way. The crowd went wild. My family went wild. What a race! What a fall! What a recovery! What a victory!

The next day, as I took my teenaged son to school, he and I had trouble connecting. I was frustrated with him; he was frustrated with me, and what I’d hoped would be a warm send off to a great day became an icy goodbye as he got out of the car. I felt like a loser-mom and lamented to God about it on the drive home. As I poured out my frustrations in prayer, the Lord reminded me of the race.

Like the young runner, I got tripped up on the shoes of another runner and fell down mid-race. Now, I had a choice. I could stew and lick my mama-wounds, allowing my disappointments to keep me from running, or I could call on the grace of the Lord, put one foot in front of another, and get back in the race. The writer of Hebrews talks about a cloud of witnesses that encourages others in faith, and as I prayed I could almost hear them cheering me on.

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:1-2).
Game. On.

I got back up. I chose to run again by asking the Lord for the grace and strength to finish the day strong in Him. By the time my son got home from school we had both cooled down. Grace ran before us. I asked him to forgive me for frustrating him and he did the same.

We all run. We all fall. Each day presents us with fresh opportunities to allow the mercy, strength and grace of God to intervene in our lives. When writing to the church of Philippi about the discipline of perseverance, the apostle Paul said this:

I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained. (Philippians 3:10-16)

So whatever you face today, friend, run. Run to win the prize. Run like the wind. And when you fall; don’t throw in the towel, don’t point fingers, don’t stew, and don’t quit. Get right back up and run again… in the mercy, strength and grace of God.

Let’s Pray
Dear Lord,
Thanks for being a God of second chances and eternal grace! Please help me to run in your mercy and strength today.

In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn
Grab your Bible and read the book of Philippians today. It’s only four chapters long. You can do it! It will bless your socks off! If you don’t have time to read the whole thing right now, then read a chapter a day for the next four days.

Look up Isaiah 40:28-31 and fill in the following blank spaces:

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the ­­­­______________ ______, the _______________ of the ends of the earth. He will not grow ________ or ___________, and his __________________ no one can fathom. He gives ________________ to the _______________and increases the ____________ of the ____________. Even youths grow _____________ and ____________, and young men _____________ and _____; but those who _________ in the LORD will ___________ their _____________. They will _________ on wings like eagles; they will _______ and not grow weary, they will ___________ and not be ______________.”

Gwen Smith, Girlfriends in God devotions
1bird2 (03-22-2012), mandymoo (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 PM

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,668 Posts

Quote:
The Devil's Three Greatest Lies

He is a liar, and the father of lies. John 8:44

Deception. It is the devil’s specialty. The Bible says, “He deceives the whole world” (Revelation 12:19). And he deceives the whole world through lies. Has he deceived you?

I talk to people nearly every day who have been deceived by the devil into thinking that (1) God is not good, (2) God does not really love them, and (3) God cannot really be trusted. Those are perhaps Satan’s three greatest lies … and so many people, Christians included, subconsciously believe them, to one degree or another. Why is that?

BAD CIRCUMSTANCES
All of us have a strong tendency to evaluate God’s goodness, love, and plan for our lives based on current circumstances. If things are going well for us, we tend to see God in a positive, biblical light. But, if things suddenly go south (we encounter job loss, health loss, marriage and family trouble), we start to question the goodness of God and the promises in His Word.

Circumstances are a faulty means for evaluating God and His character. Job’s wife fell into that trap. As she viewed all of the tragedy that had befallen her and Job, she surmised that God wasn’t good, He didn’t love them, and He was not worthy of their trust. Her circumstance-driven response to Job was “curse God and die” (Job 2:9).

Sadly, many follow her advice as they cannot seem to reconcile their trials and hardships on one hand with a good and loving God on the other. The devil steps in at that moment to say, “The reason this equation doesn’t compute in your mind is because God is not good, loving and kind. The pain of your trials is real and undeniable, but the goodness of God is obviously a cruel, sadistic joke. Better to just curse God and die.”

The truth of the matter is this: God is good, regardless of bad circumstances. God loves you and me, regardless of the storms that may pour into our lives. God has a good plan for us, regardless of what it might look like right now.

MAKING A CAKE
While I am not a chef by any stretch of the imagination, I have, on occasion, helped my wife, Debbie, make a cake. Cake is something most of us LOVE because it tastes great. But a cake doesn’t taste too good if you start eating it before it is ready. Flour and raw eggs and vanilla extract and baking powder and canola oil aren’t the least bit tasty as they sit in the mixing bowl.

Perhaps you have been guilty of tasting the bitter ingredients of your life as they sit unstirred in the mixing bowl. Perhaps you have secretly determined that the Master Chef, Jesus Christ, must not be much of a Master because the dish He is preparing – your life – tastes terrible. Hmmm.

WAIT ON THE LORD
God knows what He is doing. Put down your spoon and quit judging the product before it is finished. Trust God and His Word. The cross of Jesus Christ is God’s permanent reminder to you and me that he is good, He loves us, and He can be trusted (Romans 8:32). And what’s more … even when rotten things get thrown in the mixing bowl, He works them together for good by His amazing grace (Romans 8:28).
The devil’s lies or God’s truth: which one will you choose to believe today?

Jeff Schreve, From His Heart devotions.
Quote:
A belated Happy Anniversary to one of the cutest couples I know

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandymoo For This Useful Post:
1bird2 (03-22-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:03 AM

What if Jesus were in the Boat with You?

Today’s Truth
“I will never leave you nor forsake you,” (Hebrews 13:5 NKJV).

Friend to Friend
She was among an eager group of four-year-old children crowded around my feet as I taught their Sunday school lesson. I was the teacher and they were the students – or at least that’s how it started out. The pint-sized audience listened intently as I tried to create a mental image of Jesus and His disciples trapped in a thunderstorm on the Sea of Galilee.

“The winds bleeeeeeew and rocked the little boat back and forth, back and forth. The waves were soooooo big; they splashed over the wooden sides and got the men all wet. Then water started filling up the boat - and do you know what happens when a boat gets full of water?”

“It sinks,” they chimed together.

“That’s right.” I continued with a wrinkled brow and concerned look on my face.
“That’s not all. The lightening was sooooo bright; it looked like fire in the sky. And the claps of thunder were sooooo loud; they could feel it vibrate in their chests.”

After painting this picture of impending doom and thinking I would have my “congregation” just a little worried about the fate of these men trapped in a storm, I asked the question. “Now if you were in a tiny boat like this, caught in a terrible storm like this, would you be afraid?”

Then one precious little girl, confident and unshaken by the entire scenario, shrugged her shoulders and replied, “Not if Jesus was in the boat with me.”

I will never forget that answer. As her words have echoed in my mind, I’ve come to realize that this is the answer that calms all our worries and fears. Just as the disciples had the storm raging all around them, many times the storms of life rage around us. A friend discovers she has cancer, a husband loses his job, and a child is born with birth defects.

These are storms with waves of emotions so high that our lifeboat fills with tears and appears that it could sink at any moment. Waves of fear rock our boat and threaten to spill us into the depths of despair without even a life jacket to keep us afloat.
“Tell me, would you be afraid?”

“Not if Jesus was in the boat with me.”

And guess what? He is. God said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you,” (Hebrews 13:5 NKJV). Jesus said, “Surely I am with you always, to the end of the age,” (Matthew 26:20).

Although the storm may be fierce, you don’t need to be afraid, because Jesus is in the boat with you. His power can calm the storm you’re in and calm the storm in you. So hang on to Him and He’ll pull you through.
Let’s Pray

Dear Lord, I am so glad that You are always in the boat with me. When I feel like I’m sinking – You’re in the boat with me. When the sail is full and I’m gliding along peaceful seas – You are with me. No matter what, no matter where, You are there by my side…and I praise You.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

Now It’s Your Turn
Think back on the most difficult situation in your life. Now close your eyes and picture Jesus standing right beside you. He was, you know.

Is there someone in your life who is experiencing a terrifying storm in her life?
Perhaps today would be a great day to write her a note of encouragement. You might even want to consider sending this devotion to her as a way of reminding her that Jesus is going through this storm with her. She is not alone.

What is your favorite verse that reminds you of God’s promises during the storms of life?

Sharon Jaynes, Girlfriends in God devotions

*a few years back, my hubs wrote a poem............ think it fits here...........

IN THE STORM

When the storm comes,
do not take down the sail.
But add all the sail you have
and fly with the storm, into
the arms of Jesus.
The storm is a girft,
testing and proving
Love and Faith,
making stronger the resolve
of the heart.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymoo View Post
A belated Happy Anniversary to one of the cutest couples I know

aww thanks mandymoo. you know we always talked about getting together. you are just a few miles down the road from us. I really hope
we can do that. but for now, I have no car .. but when I do again, lets
plan something what do you say?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM

"And there arose a great storm"(Mark 4:37).

Some of the storms of life come suddenly: a great sorrow, a bitter disappointment, a crushing defeat. Some come slowly. They appear upon the ragged edges of the horizon no larger than a man's hand, but, trouble that seems so insignificant spreads until it covers the sky and overwhelms us.
Yet it is in the storm that God is nearest. When God wants an oak He plants it on the moor where the storms will shake it and the rains will beat down upon it, and it is in the midnight battle with elements that the oak wins its rugged fibre and becomes the king of the forest.
When God wants to make a man He puts him into some storm. The history of manhood is always rough and rugged. No man is made until he has been out into the surge of the storm and found the sublime fulfillment of the prayer: "O God, take me, break me, make me."
A Frenchman has painted a picture of universal genius. There stand orators, philosophers and martyrs, all who have achieved pre-eminence in any phase of life; the remarkable fact about the picture is this: Every man who is pre-eminent for his ability was first pre-eminent for suffering. In the foreground stands that figure of the man who was denied the promised land, Moses. Beside him is another, feeling his way -- blind Homer. Milton is there, blind and heart-broken. Now comes the form of one who towers above them all. What is His characteristic? His Face is marred more than any man's. The artist might have written under that great picture, "The Storm."
The beauties of nature come after the storm. The rugged beauty of the mountain is born in a storm, and the heroes of life are the storm-swept and the battle-scarred.
You have been in the storms and swept by the blasts. Have they left you broken, weary, beaten in the valley, or have they lifted you to the sunlit summits of a richer, deeper, more abiding manhood and womanhood? Have they left you with more sympathy with the storm-swept and the battle-scarred? --Selected

IN THE STORM - written by my husband

When the storm comes,
do not take down the sail.
But add all the sail you have
and fly with the storm, into
the arms of Jesus.
The storm is a girft,
testing and proving
Love and Faith,
making stronger the resolve
of the heart.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Smile Women, Remember...

I wasn't sure where to post this, If this isn't the right spot please move it or let me know where to move it too.

WOMAN. . . . . . . . .
When God created woman he was working late on the 6th day.......
An angel came by and asked." Why spend so much time on her?"
The lord answered. "Have you seen all the specifications I have to meet to shape her?"
She must function on all kinds of situations,
She must be able to embrace several kids at the same time,
Have a hug that can heal anything from a bruised knee to a broken heart,
She must do all this with only two hands,"She cures herself when sick and can work 18 hours a day"
THE ANGEL was impressed "Just two hands.....impossible!
And this is the standard model?"
The Angel came closer and touched the woman
"But you have made her so soft, Lord".
"She is soft", said the Lord,
"But I have made her strong. You can't imagine what she can endure and overcome."
"Can she think?" The Angel asked...
The Lord answered. "Not only can she think, she can reason and negotiate."
The Angel touched her cheeks....
"Lord, it seems this creation is leaking! You have put too many burdens on her"
"She is not leaking...it is a tear" The Lord corrected the Angel…
"What's it for?" Asked the Angel..... .
The Lord said. "Tears are her way of expressing her grief, her doubts, her love, her loneliness, her suffering and her pride."...
This made a big impression on the Angel,
"Lord, you are a genius. You thought of everything.
A woman is indeed marvellous"
Lord said."Indeed she is.
She has strength that amazes a man.
She can handle trouble and carry heavy burdens.
She holds happiness, love and opinions.
She smiles when she feels like screaming.
She sings when she feels like crying, cries when happy and laughs when afraid.
She fights for what she believes in.
Her love is unconditional.
Her heart is broken when a next-of-kin or a friend dies but she finds strength to get on with life"
The Angel asked: "So she is a perfect being?"
The lord replied: "No. She has just one drawback
She often forgets what she is worth."