Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Dieting & Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Cool Lost weight, gained it back but determined to get fit again!

So throughout my childhood up into early adulthood I hadn't been overweight. At the age of 20 I was severely depressed and entered a 10-Day Depression Program (Resediential).

There, my Doc said he suggested as part of my treatment I work on my weight since i am at high risk for diabetes and other health issues. At that time I was 160 lbs at a height of 5' 3". He helped me set a schedule where I was to do high intensity work outs for an hour before breakfast (from 6 AM - 7 AM) then I had to exercise 3 hours after breakfast but not as intensely 10 AM - 11 AM. Following was lunch at 12 PM. Then, at 3 PM I did my last hour of exercise which typically consisted of walking and resistance training. After that I was allowed a very light supper (fruits, veggies, nuts, unbuttered popcorn, crackers) etc and throughout the day I was to consume a gallon of water.

This plan was only to be this intense for the 10 days. At the end, I lost 7 LBS and I felt sooooo good! I continued with the meal portion but the exercise I cut down to 1 1/2 hours 5 times a week (usually around 4 pm after work) and in 3 months I was at my lowest 137!!

After about a year I went to 127 and stayed there consistently. But then last year we got pregnant! I kinda let myself go. My baby was born a stillborn which brought back my depression... My husband was also just sentenced (though he only got 2 years I just felt like I lost it all in the blink of an eye)

I eat like so much now and don't exercise! My husband loves me just the way I am but we both agreed that I cannot let it get the best of my health. Since I am at high risk for many different things. I am now at 153 lbs and am now going to exercise and eat right! As hard as it is since I've become somewhat of a glutton! Anyone else want to start a new journey with me? We can encourage one another, give each other advice etc! Would love to go down at least 20 pounds in 5 months (that's only 4 pounds a month! Totally doable!

I am doing this for my health but also cuz I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again. I felt soooo good and accomplished when I was fit and I want to feel that way again. It's more for myself.

Last edited by Mrsa77; 04-20-2017 at 02:59 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrsa77 For This Useful Post:
Always_His (04-20-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Life Lovin Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,382 Posts

I think it is absolutely great that you are willing to do what it takes to get healthy again. It is hard work, but it is so worth it. Your post has been an encouragement to me! Good Luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tina For This Useful Post:
Mrsa77 (04-20-2017), Sinir.Fridyrr (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,611 Times in 817 Posts

Good for you for wanting to be happier and healthier! I work out 5 or 6 days a week so I'm happy to encourage you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
Mrsa77 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,611 Times in 817 Posts

Also, the fitness pins on pintrest both give me a laugh and inspiration, you should check it out!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sinir.Fridyrr For This Useful Post:
Mrsa77 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
I think it is absolutely great that you are willing to do what it takes to get healthy again. It is hard work, but it is so worth it. Your post has been an encouragement to me! Good Luck!
Im excited to begin the journey again! Thank you so much I really appreciate it :-) ❤️
Old 04-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinir.Fridyrr View Post
Also, the fitness pins on pintrest both give me a laugh and inspiration, you should check it out!
Thank you sooo much for the resource and also for being willing to give me encouragement! I can totally use it!! Your willingness to help motivates me more❤️
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrsa77 For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,290 Times in 6,973 Posts

I am so looking forward to getting back into shape. Once I have a leg again, I'm back. I really need to get some muscle back on my wasted leg before I do anything too intense.

Me, being me, I need goals that include training for events. Think of it like the physical side of trials. For trials, I start with the client, get discovery, do an investigation, file and argue motions, shape the case. It's a long wind-up to the main event - the trial. Same thing works well for me with fitness - I have events I aim for. I think this year, assuming the leg resolves somewhat in the next two months, I'll start swimming with the Masters Swim around here and aim for a couple of distance events at a regional swim meet or two.

For those of you not familiar with Masters Swimming - it's swimming for those of us too old for college swimming. Three's a breakdown of events by age so if you're 70, you're not competing against 25 year olds. You can be an accomplished swimmer, or you can be the kind of swimmer who's never done a flip turn in your life and don't want to start now. Most areas have Masters Swim Teams that are the same way, but with a team, you get regular workouts, and can keep track of your progress that way.

There are running clubs that are social and no drop, same with bicycle clubs. I can't do bicycling until I get a few lessons in a safe environment - don't want to be unclipping my pedal only to lose my leg or fall down in traffic. I am looking forward to walking and maybe a bit of hiking before the summer is through, whether I go with a group or not.

My ultimate goal is to get back to judo and then make it to the Masters Pan Ams. I will train towards that goal.

Anyway, breaking things up with an event is a good way of distracting yourself from the drudge of working out. I've promised to do a 5K this fall, assuming my docs say its okay. It benefits a school in the area, and a friend who won't be worried about setting some Personal Best will be running with me to make sure I don't get into any trouble.

It's a goal, and it's nice to be working towards that goal. Anyway, the point is that for those of us who can't find a lot of motivation just doing a treadmill every day, or looking at weight every so often, finding a sport and events to train to is a good way of maintaining fitness.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (04-20-2017)