Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 05-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Been here forever

Default Union Targets Inmates' College Program

By Jenifer Warren, Times Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO - California's powerful prison guards union is trying to kill one of only two programs in the state allowing inmates to earn college degrees, angering advocates who say that educating felons prevents many of them from committing crimes after their release.

The popular program at Ironwood State Prison in Blythe enrolls 280 inmates pursuing a two-year associate of arts degree through the local community college. It has 800 more convicts on a waiting list and has won accolades as a model that should be introduced at all 33 prisons.

But the local chapter of the California Correctional Peace Officers Assn. has demanded that the warden abolish the program, arguing that it is wrong to provide state-funded education to rapists, molesters and murderers.

The inmates, like other eligible low-income Californians at community colleges, receive free textbooks and a waiver of fees through the program, which uses videotaped lectures and computer-based coursework in lieu of classroom teaching. The cost per inmate is about $750 a year, though the prisoners also receive counseling from college advisors.

In February, protests by the union prompted the elimination of a similar program at Chuckawalla Valley State Prison, which is also in Blythe, said its spokesman, Lt. Warren Montgomery. That ended classes for 50 inmates.

The warden at Ironwood, James E. Hall, has so far stood behind the program. Hall said inmates who participate have proved far less likely to create disciplinary problems, and argued that educating convicts benefits society.

"If inmates can better themselves in prison, they're more likely to find a job when they get out and less likely to go back to their predatory ways," Hall said. "That's good for everybody."

But the president of the union's local chapter, Kelly Breshears, holds a different view. In a memo distributed to guards at the medium-security prison in eastern Riverside County, he said the union is outraged that Palo Verde Community College would provide state-funded education to inmates rather than offering it "to people in the community who pay taxes and may benefit from these services."

Neither Breshears nor officials at union headquarters in West Sacramento returned telephone calls from The Times seeking comment. But the April 23 memo urged members to boycott all prison-backed fund-raisers, blood drives, picnics and other functions until the program is canceled.

College officials say the union's characterizations of the program are inaccurate and that in fact the alliance with Ironwood has permitted them to add faculty, expand the curriculum and increase opportunities for other disadvantaged residents of their remote district.

Palo Verde Community College President James Hottois said that although he understands some of the thinking behind the union's complaints, teaching convicts is not depriving the free residents of Blythe of a chance at a college degree.

"The truth is no community member has been turned away because of this inmate program," Hottois said. "In fact, by expanding our enrollment, it has allowed us to improve our services for everyone."

Hottois said that after the prison program was launched, the college decided to offer classes via videotape and computer to other community members who are either homebound, work full time or live far from the campus.

"So people in Needles, a long way from our campus, are now able to take advantage of what we offer," Hottois said.

Nationally, statistics show that prisoners who earn college degrees are far less likely to return to prison once they are paroled. One Arizona study showed that prisoners who earned a two-year degree had a recidivism rate of 10%, compared with a national rate of about 60% at that time.

For years, prisoners were able to work toward college degrees through the federal Pell Grant program. But in 1994, Congress eliminated the federal scholarships, and hundreds of college programs at prisons were scrapped.

In California, San Quentin is the only other penitentiary offering a small number of convicts a chance to earn a two-year degree through a small Christian college in Oakland that uses an all-volunteer faculty. A few other universities offer correspondence courses, but inmates must pay tuition, which few can afford.

Controversy over the Ironwood program comes as Gov. Gray Davis is proposing cuts to vocational training and the few other non-employment activities that remain for prisoners. Even without such cuts, the Department of Corrections reports that its vocational and basic education classes can serve only one-quarter of the 159,000 Californians behind bars.

The move against the Ironwood program has angered Senate leader John Burton (D-San Francisco), who praised it last year during a hearing in the Capitol.

"Every warden will tell you that idle hands are the devil's workshop," Burton said in an interview. "The more you keep inmates busy studying, working, doing something, the fewer problems they cause - and the better it is for all of us when they get out."

Burton, who has received campaign contributions from the guards union, said he has called the group's officials to question their opposition to the program.

Launched in January 2001 with 53 students, the Ironwood program requires inmates to take a full load of courses in addition to their regular prison job assignments. Warden Hall said many rise before dawn to watch the videotaped lectures, and bury their noses in books during yard time, when fellow inmates are playing basketball.

Exams are administered by proctors who are on the corrections staff, and once a semester, professors visit prison and meet their incarcerated pupils.

In June, 30 of the inmate students will graduate, wearing caps and gowns as relatives watch in a ceremony at the visiting center. The diplomas will be awarded by the college president, who says the prisoners are among "the most motivated students we have."

To participate, inmates must be eligible for parole, have at least two years remaining on their sentence and be free of disciplinary infractions for at least 12 months. Business is one of the most popular degree programs, officials said, because parolees have trouble landing jobs and like the idea of working independently.

The program's backers say one of its most surprising benefits has been breaking down the racial barriers that dominate all aspects of prison life.

"For those of us who have been in the [penal] system awhile, it blows us away to see five or six guys of different ethnicities sitting around together studying," said Rick Babb, who oversees the program.

That was among the features that appealed to Director of Corrections Edward Alameida. Alameida agreed to a two-year pilot project to gather recidivism and disciplinary statistics on participants, aiming to expand it if data prove its worth.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...s%2Dcalifornia

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

I also read this from another group I belong to.....I wish every prison had this. I hope this warden can hold out against the pressure and I'm wondering if there's anything we can do on PTO to show support for him and what they're doing? This is an incredible positive thing and to think they already eliminated another one in California and most across the nation when they eliminated Federal Pal Grants being used by inmate's.....

Any ideas on if we can do something or are people on here not interested?

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Been here forever

I am for sure. You let me know when and I will be thee to help if i can
Old 05-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

What could we do Lulu?? I'm wondering if anyone on PTO knows of an address for this prison so we can do letters of support to this warden?? Any other ideas??

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Been here forever

You might be bale to go to the web site and get that info there. Let me look real fast
Old 05-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Been here forever

here is the phone number and adress,
Ironwood State Prison
P O Box 750
Blythe,CA 92226
(760) 921-3000
this is the web site as well

http://www.cdc.state.ca.us/
Old 05-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Been here forever

Ironwood State Prison
PO Box 2199
Blythe, CA 92226

that is the address to the prison
Old 05-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Been here forever

I think A hand written letter would be nice. What about also a petition to h elp support him?
Old 05-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Been here forever

here is the warden info as well.

Jim Hall, Warden
19005 Wileys Well Road
Blythe, CA 92225

P.O. Box 2229
Blythe, CA 92226
(760) 921-3000
Old 05-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

I think both ideas are good......Geez, no one else has responed on here....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Been here forever

I noticed. Well, I will get kenneth to write up the petition, i am no good at that. lol and then as well write him a hand written letter as well., any ideas of what to say
Old 05-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

If Kenneth's good at doing the petition---that's a great idea to have him do it! I'm sure other's will sign it once it's done....I look forward to seeing it!

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Been here forever

Kenneth is darn good at that kind of thing. I will let ya know
Old 05-11-2003, 09:11 AM
In the Hole 4 Life

Lulu referred me to this thread and I have just perused the article. How appalling! There is hope yet as the warden at Ironwood supports the program and sees the benefits to the inmates and the community at large derived from this program. I will be typing up the petition shortly and will forward it to Laura for posting and participation. Incarceration is supposed to be about rehabilitation. However we all know that is now far from the case and that today the penal institutions are having a trend towards warehousing the inmates which causes untold mental and behavioral problems which they may act on upon their release. I could go on and on through my heartfelt beliefs on this but I'll do something positive and type up the petition.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Been here forever

thank you sooooo much sweetie.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Thanks Kenneth! Maybe if we all sign it and get it in to the warden and whoever else it can make a difference. If nothing else, the warden will know that many support him as he faces those against him and what he's doing.....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Been here forever

Default Deb

Kenneth finished the petition yesturday, do you know how to fill out one of these peitions? I never done it before.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:23 AM

Guys,
As you know I'm from London, England but my honey is in CA and even if he wasnt I would like to support this as much as possible.
Please let me know what I can do, I could also try and get a petition started over here to show world support?

Please PM me with any information on how I could help!

Joanna x x x x

There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Been here forever

Joanna, do you know how to fill out one of these petitions? Kenneth done worte it up, and I am now ready to place it on the petition, which i am trying to do now,,lol
Old 05-12-2003, 10:44 AM

Hey Lulu,
I dont have a clue Im afraid who should I ask?

Joanna x x x x

There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Administrator Emeritus
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,105 Times in 219 Posts

Good morning lulu, I have been thinking of doing a petition myself so I looked up this site. Go to the bottom of the page and it tells you there how to do it. Love Barbara
http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html

Old 05-12-2003, 11:00 AM
Been here forever

i dont know,,,lol i done one but then a message came up saying that it was upgrading or something, i posted it in the petition forum
Old 05-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Been here forever

than you barb, but i have done that and once i went to sign, a message came up, i posted it in the petition forum
Old 05-12-2003, 04:11 PM
PRAY on 13th of Month

WOW! Missed this one! My son is at Ironwood and he just told me today about this article. So, I looked it up on the internet and was getting ready to post it when I saw this thread!

Of course the Prison Guards Union would get rid of this program. If they didn't and the inmates educated themselves, so they didn't go back to prison, many Prison jobs would disappear!

My son said they posted a Memo for Guards to boycott until these programs are ended.

Hmm!
Kathy
PS JERKS!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 01_header.gif (12.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Lulu,

Is the petition done and posted then? I see you asked me how to do it earlier. Sorry, I wasn't on earlier today. I was in meetings at work all day.....

I've never posted one myself. I've just signed ones already done....Is it done?

Deb

September 10th 2009