Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: Do you think the that first-time felon drug charges should be thrown in prison?
Yes 54 6.91%
No 727 93.09%
Voters: 781. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Default Money talks Freedom walks

No matter what you are charged with it is all about money.if you are poor you will do the time plus someone else's time.there is no justice any more.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Exclamation Kids don't necessarily learn from parents mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
Maybe I am being stubborn headed. I tend to be stubborn quite often. I honestly can't speak for every situation. But I think that the legal system is totally screwed up. It just makes me sick that in order for someone to get to avoid prison is by having money. It's BS. My husband has been one of the best dads. I didn't have my dad growing up. And I was so thankful that my kids weren't gonna have to go through the same as me. But now they will. They are 3 and 1 and I am going to have to look them in their eyes everyday and tell them that Daddy won't be home for a long time... mommy doesn't know when he gets to come home.... they are so young they can't understand that shit. It's gonna be hard enough on me while he's gone, and having to see my children hurt and miss their daddy is gonna make it even harder.

I do know that everything happens for a reason. This whole thing is just really hard to accept.

My husband is a good man. We are all human and we make mistakes and I don't think it's fair that his cost our whole family so much. It's just inconcievable. Who would have ever thought we'd be where we are today. Any person that knows my husband will tell you he is a good man. He has given the last dime in his pocket to his family, mother, dad, sisters... even his close friends. He would do anything to help anyone and it just eats me up that this is happening.

He on the other hand, is handling this thing so great. He is very positive and says that something good will come from it. He said that we can both be damn sure our kids won't ever be in this situation because they will know about what happened with him. They will be aware of what happens when you do things you shouldn't. They will learn from his mistake and won't have to make the same mistake that he did. He is a damn good father. And we are going to do everything so that the kids can bond with him. It's gonna be tough because I'm gonna be broke as you know what. Hopefully he'll get sent somewhere close.

Anyway,
I gotta get going....
Be careful in thinking that. I'm raising my grandson, whose father is a habitual drug offender and is currently in local jail waiting for a bed in a rehab facility. Both have ADHD. My grandson just sold some of his medication and now were waiting on his court date. They are the only 2 offenders in the family everyone else is law abiding working contributing members and the child has been brought up that way. He has the perfect example of what not to do and done it anyway. I'm at a loss, ready to give up and walk away from him. I'm too old to go through all that I did with my son. Feeling hopeless and a complete failure myself. Good luck, hope it works out for you with your kids
Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 AM

Default Petitions are no good

Quote:
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
Petitions are no good for changing the law. Your state legislators need to change the law and you need to vote for them. Every state is different so it has to be done state by state. And if you're convicted of a felony. You don't get to vote anymore
Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,301 Times in 13,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanafav View Post
Petitions are no good for changing the law. Your state legislators need to change the law and you need to vote for them. Every state is different so it has to be done state by state. And if you're convicted of a felony. You don't get to vote anymore
That varies state to state, with many states allowing felons vote. I'm a felon, I'm also a registered voter and do vote. I believe its Oregon that allows inmates to vote.

But you are right....we need to research each candidates position on criminal justice reform, drug law reform etc etc and vote accordingly.

Addiction is a disease and should be treated as such rather punished.
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Guccigir1 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 AM

All I know is that God turns the evil for good and that means that any evil performed to one or one's family or whomever, God will take that evil and make something good come out of it.
But keep in mind too, there are always consequences to our actions which is the best thing to teach our children. Too bad, I didn't realize this sooner in my life to share it with my son who is paying time. God bless the judge who is merciful and gave him a short stent.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 AM

Thanked 1,052 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
That varies state to state, with many states allowing felons vote. I'm a felon, I'm also a registered voter and do vote. I believe its Oregon that allows inmates to vote.

But you are right....we need to research each candidates position on criminal justice reform, drug law reform etc etc and vote accordingly.

Addiction is a disease and should be treated as such rather punished.
Not just legislators, but prosecutors, if it's an elected position.

I've just been learning about how to lobby state legislatures. You can make things happen in between elections. There are things more powerful than voting.

State legislators who like to keep their jobs will meet constituents who ask. Heck, when I sent an interesting email mine invited me in for a meeting.

All will take phone calls. Calls about something that's about to happen, like a vote on a drug law reform bill, are the most powerful. Give them a compelling personal story. Facts and numbers they can get from their staff. Real life stories stick in their minds.

Imagine State Senator Smith sitting in his office. He's already forgotten that he made some "tough on crime" speeches in his campaign. Now there's three people from his district in his office. One of them is talking about how he had to go through high school with his mother locked up three hundred miles away on a nonviolent first offense, unable even to call him because the family couldn't afford extortionate phone charges. What is Senator Smith going to do about the next bill to allow community custody? The next bill to repeal mandatory minimums? To set up drug courts? Especially if the people in the office say "we have 80 people on our mailing list"?

Even if he remembers his "tough on crime" speech he knows that most of the people who heard it don't even show up to vote and most of the rest didn't really care either way.

If you can find a group already on the job then find out how to help them. Legislators know that an organization means more than one vote. Without votes they're unemployed and they know it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
onparoleinTO (02-06-2017), Sarianna (02-11-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:30 AM
OnparoleinTO

The best way to present this to anyone elected or running for election, in my view, is to say that this is one of the few areas of public policy where we could spend a lot less money and get better results. Many states in the US have started to reduce jail populations, although even so they remain ridiculously high, for this reason. There is a lot of evidence showing that spending time in jail does not reduce subsequent crime, and may actually increase it. It's far cheaper and more effective to supervise people in the community, unless they are truly dangerous. Everyone in public office understands that finding ways to spend less money is a good thing, and this is an area in which there could be huge savings. For those interested, various reform organizations in the US have some great 'quick facts' and infographics to help make the case. Pew Charitable Trusts, Vera Institute and The Sentencing Project are some good places to start.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onparoleinTO For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (02-09-2017), Sarianna (02-11-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM

Default First time offenders of non violent drug charges should be offered probatio

My son was charged with a drug offense and they are not willing to offer him probation. He has told the court he is an addict and has asked for rehab. This is his very first charge. He goes to court to open plea on the 12th. I am scared to death
Old 04-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
I am in Texas too and I totally agree
Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 PM

If you want to change the law in Texas, here are some resources about talking to the legislature.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04...texas-capitol/
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03...texas-capitol/
Old 07-30-2017, 08:45 AM

I really don't think, for simple possession, anyone should be thrown in prison for any drug. I believe in 100% decriminalization and programs designed at stamping out addiction. Not programs designed to punish the sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-04-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,818 Times in 5,322 Posts

Oregon Makes Drug Possession a Misdemeanor, Aug 15 2017
"A bill signed by Oregon Gov. Kate Brown on Tuesday makes personal-use possession of cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and other drugs a misdemeanor, not a felony. Oregon joined just a handful of other U.S. states in defelonizing drugs under the new law, which was supported by law enforcement groups and takes effect immediately"
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 07:13 AM

Thanked 3,959 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Oregon Makes Drug Possession a Misdemeanor, Aug 15 2017
"A bill signed by Oregon Gov. Kate Brown on Tuesday makes personal-use possession of cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and other drugs a misdemeanor, not a felony. Oregon joined just a handful of other U.S. states in defelonizing drugs under the new law, which was supported by law enforcement groups and takes effect immediately"
OMG this is great I am not advocating for drugs but drug addicts should not be punished they should be helped. I wish this was national. It makes me sick that each state and counties can do whatever they want. Heck I live in a dry town!!LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Tiffmm24 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 AM

For me My first time offense got me sentenced to 5 years 3 months (later reduced to 51 months) . Yes I got caught selling meth as that is where my addiction took me to make money. But I will say that if I had got probation or even a shorter sentence I would probably be dead or back in on new charges. I realize that many people don't use their prison time to make lasting life changes but I believe that it saved my life. And by the way selling anything but Marijuana is very damaging crime. While people say well if i don't sell it someone else will that doesnt make it right or less harmful. I see all the justifications in the world "oh I don't sell to people with kids" or this and that to try and make themselves feel better. At the end of the day once its sold u have no control over where it goes or who's life it destroys. Kids going hungry and getting nothing for xmas on every block in even the smallest of towns cause mom or dad a junkie. Trading off the family food stamps or returning the xmas presents to wal mart a week later. I feel bad about selling the drugs I sold but that's rare most people still have the mentality even after getting locked up that "well if I didn't do it someone else would". Do I like living pretty much pay check to paycheck with only a lil bit left over, Hell No i dont. Not when i know If i wanted to could make what i make in a month in a day or two. But I'm comfortable and Im not looking over my shoulder wondering when the cops coming.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 PM

That was from the heart. Please understand my questions come from wanting to make an informed opinion, not because I'm arguing.

Could you have succeeded in breaking your addiction some other way? Like maybe a locked ward at a hospital or a change of location?

If prison was the only way, then why did it work for you, given how easy it is to get drugs in prisons? Was it the shock value, or the structured life, or something else?
Old 09-18-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
That was from the heart. Please understand my questions come from wanting to make an informed opinion, not because I'm arguing.

Could you have succeeded in breaking your addiction some other way? Like maybe a locked ward at a hospital or a change of location?

If prison was the only way, then why did it work for you, given how easy it is to get drugs in prisons? Was it the shock value, or the structured life, or something else?
I had been to detox 3 times, rehab twice, and the methadone clinic. None of which worked for me, I had been using since 13 and I was 28 by the time i got locked up. So 15 years of using, and it also happened to be in the critical years where you are supposed to learn to cope with stress and anxiety.

Anyways I can't say nothing would have worked but i was pretty determined i was gonna be an addict for life. I didn't want to quit or see a way out. Which is crazy considering how I was living at the end of my run.

And I did use for the first almost year I was locked up. Then i got put in the hole for 11 months. At the end of the 11 months was the first time I had felt normal without drugs for as long as I can remember.

After that I was transferred and then later started RDAP which I think if used to its full potential is a great program. I know this isn't the answer for everybody though as I've seen people that go right back out and use. I just know it worked for me. And No I do not believe it was the shock value because even after the first year or more i thought there was no chance i wouldnt use when i went back to the street. It took a long stretch in the hole to feel normal, then just time, Not gonna lie after the hole time I was still getting random UA about once or twice a month, so i guess if you consider that structure then that helped. Then the RDAP program.

I honestly don't know the answer to getting clean but I know it worked for me, Also that is probably an extreme case. I don't guess everyone needs that. But I'm willing to bet there isn't anyone i went to rehab or detox with who is still clean.

Last edited by Doinaight; 09-18-2017 at 07:42 AM..
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 AM

Thank you for answering.

I respect your courage, by the way.
Doinaight (09-18-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Default I agree this is my sons first everin trouble

Quote:

I am in Texas!
My son is 33 yrs old never ever even had a parking ticket He does come from two herion addict crack smoking parents me and my husand was in and out prison his whole life until he was 18 he was in and out of foster care and when me and my husband finally got off parole my son finally started buliding a relationship with us when we had a few mnths i callled told me momma i cant get hurt any more call me when u and dad are clean a yr and off parole the dates were pretty close together so he has always been a really good kid i mean is he been perfect no he has stole a couple pencils from walmart broke a girlfrinds window and thats it he was raised by his grandma she passed 4 yrs ago he has a 8 yr old son and he has a used to have a beer on weekends or a few after work smoked weed since he was 15 and still does well he decided 4 yrs ago he was going to go meet his other family his sprem donors family in texas my husband of 20 yrs helped me raise him he passed 4 yrs agoa nd all of our lives turned to hell i had a bad breakdown lost my memeory found out i had 2 cancer lung and breast my memory went to that of a 6 yr old yes there are mispelled words i dont corredt cause im trying to learn to spell again any ways so my son got with a girl she did meth when first fought and he left but he relized he was in love and wanted to change her belived he could they started having alot of issues cause they had nothing in common togther (damn son love makes u do carzy stuff) of course he couldnt so he thought if he started doing it with her at first only on weekend that they would have something in common again he really regretted that they both ended up loosing there jobs then there apt so they they lied and ended up going back to texas she left him know hes in texas alone no job no apt he started livin in the back of truck they got she left e back of truck left all her clothes and makeup bags and other misc stuff in truck so he was asleep in back of truck cops pulled up found him asleep in back of truck with all there clothes and stuff the in cop got him out started searching and seen a pink purse pulled it out and there was meth pipeies makeup he told the cop do i look like i uses a purse my well the ended up he taken him to jail towed his truck and the charged his with less <1/4 gram pipe hes been in new braunfuls jsil for 7 mnths just went to court 2 dao layer nevery ag talked to him they call me one time and asked about him using i told the attorney he just started and maybe instead of jail he could do a 30 day programe that prick called me a lier said the reason they took so long to get tpo him was urnning it in calif and seeing how his parents had numourse prison and jail time they didnt after believe his record was so clean and know they cause he pissed his attorney off cause i do know our rights and he has been schooled they went to court attorney never ever spoke to my son he there alone no family and the attorney told him to sign these papers and my son dont read well he has learning disabitys due to my passed and never making him go to school so he called said he got a program but 2 hrs before his court his attorney told our family he was getting released no probation nothing and had been saying this get him for weeks so we were thinking he was confused Im his auntie/Mom called and was told im sorry we didnt get what we thought were getting but they gam a program and when hes done he wont have anything so we call of yea its a program 1-2 yrs very extensive and 400 miles from anyone of his family so how does someone get back in court cause we called the attorney right away and told him this isnt going to work we were told he was being released and also with all his leaning disalitys hes being set up for failure and the attorney said stop call me im done with this case u all have been nothing but a thorn in my side he told my nephews mom thats mentally disabled that dont call me your son is a grown ass man and not a baby he needs to grow up
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 PM

think probation should be offered for any first dope charge but the first 90 or so days should be locked up. Only to detox and get a clear vision on what freedom really is and how it feels to be stripped of everything you love to realize what you have (or had). Drugs arent only for the bottom feeders of the world. Everyone loves to escape reality once in awhile but eventually the drug overpowers and that weekend habit turned into an everyday, all day thing. I come from a great home. Loving parents. No childhood abuse to blame my addiction on. I was just sick of living every day by the book and never having fun. Oct 2012 I tried meth. Feb 2013 was my first arrest. Bonded out, dec 2013 I received 6 years probation. 1 month later the task force beat down my door and I caught my 2nd. Got 4 years tdc and did 2.5 years. Denied parole 3 times. When I initially bonded out all I could think about was reupin so i could get back in business. When i got out after 2.5 years all i wanted to do was hug my family. The month I was on probation they tried to help me And get me the treatment I needed but i didn't want it. I even told my prob officer no judge or piece of paper is going to keep me from doing drugs. A little over being on it for a year my life was consumed with nothing but meth. Prison will either get you on a straight and narrow or teach you how to be a better drug dealer. I believe prison is a great place to sober up and gives you the time and the ability to reflect on life and come up w a better plan. The key to staying sober is what you come home to and a strong family who supports you, willing to stand up to you and tell you when you're screwing up.