Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 PM
still batshit crazy

Thanked 1,189 Times in 564 Posts
Default Same-sex Marriage, two inmates same facility?*

Is it even near the realm of possibility that an inmate could marry another inmate - while in the same facility??

Just asking for a friend.
I'm kinda assuming that if it were possible, one would be transferred . . .
Old 03-30-2017, 08:40 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,268 Times in 14,035 Posts

I'd have to say "no" off the top of my head. I really can't see any facility letting two incarcerated persons get married....they may have to wait until one or the other - or both - are released.

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Osugirl (03-31-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 PM
still batshit crazy

Thanks! That's what I thought, but then again, ya never know!

I think with this one, I'm to my dumb question limit for this and next quarter!
patchouli (03-31-2017), xolady (12-18-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:29 AM
attorney

Thanked 20,352 Times in 7,258 Posts

Not a dumb question. I'd agree - if they managed to get married, one would get transferred.

Beyond that, getting married in prison when both are prisoners, and assuming they didn't know and date each other on the outside, getting married in prison isn't the best move personally. I'd think most chaplains would know this and wouldn't sign off as a result. Prison changes people. Yes, there's a permanent change (and it usually doesn't affect criminality), but there are also circumstantial changes. Who you are in prison is not who you are outside of prison. The needs you have in prison, especially interpersonal needs, are very different than what you experience outside of prison. Having two people find each other in prison and expect them to remain together for life? When both will probably get out? Wait. Get out of prison. Wait at least half a year once both of you are out. Then get married.

I know, the advice I'm giving is taking divorce money out of my pocket, but I'm a romantic and would far rather see a relationship work out, be permanent, and a wedding to be spectacular.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-31-2017), Minor activist (12-18-2017), Ms Sunny (12-17-2017), Osugirl (03-31-2017), patchouli (03-31-2017), rnsgaig (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 04:02 PM
still batshit crazy

Thank you! I'm a romantic as well, which is why I asked
I agree with everything you said. "Marriage" is just society's approval of a relationship after all. But I also understand the desire to be able to publicly proclaim your love to that society. So I thought I'd ask and kinda wish for a magical answer.

My friend and his friend have been together [and in their hearts, they are.] for about 8 years. Both are long-timers, already in 20+ years, one is up for parole in 3, one in 10. [I think the odds are against them both . . .]

It still feels rather nice to get caught up in someone else's happy dreams for the future. Feels good that I am trusted I guess.

Oh yes! Once out,
the wedding will be spectacular!!!!!

ps. If combing my recent posts is confusing, I do have more than one friend inside.
miamac (03-31-2017), patchouli (03-31-2017), yourself (04-01-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_nox View Post
Is it even near the realm of possibility that an inmate could marry another inmate - while in the same facility??

Just asking for a friend.
I'm kinda assuming that if it were possible, one would be transferred . . .
Yes, it may be possible. My penpal just married his fellow inmate friend last month. He is a straight man who is in love with a transgender woman at men's facility. An ordinated pastor who married this couple is an inmate also. The trans woman bride was almost transferred, also. Whew! She is able to stay at this facility.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:33 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jactree View Post
Yes, it may be possible. My penpal just married his fellow inmate friend last month. He is a straight man who is in love with a transgender woman at men's facility. An ordinated pastor who married this couple is an inmate also. The trans woman bride was almost transferred, also. Whew! She is able to stay at this facility.
One, a marriage is a legal concept. Without the marriage license, there is no marriage.

Two, the "ordinated" pastor can perform whatever services he wants, and that may or may not be okay in the eyes of God depending on what the elders in his faith believe. Example - if he's an "ordinated" pastor in most Southern Baptist traditions, the marriage won't be recognized by the church itself. If he was an "ordinated" Episcopal priest, however, the marriage may be religiously valid.

Three, as a consequence, since the marriage is not lawful, aka no marriage license, and no legal obligations, duties, or rights attach, the facility will probably ignore the marriage and not ascribe a change of status.

Four, no rights, duties, or obligations attach to a marriage that is not lawful in the marriage license, civil law sense of the word. If these inmates think that they can determine with legal effect where the other is buried, the disposal of propert after death, the ability to file taxes as a married couple, the ability to get insurance as a married couple or family, or any of the myriad of civil rights that attach to marriage, they are very mistaken and could wind up in a huge legal nightmare.

Five, I highly doubt that these inmates will be allowed to cell together.

Look, this is a nice fiction, and a romance. It is not real. You might really want to check your make sure your pen pal knows that this marriage from the "ordinated" pastor does not carry the force of law. Anybody can become a pastor - it takes 50 bucks to become a pastor with actual documentation, and you can actually become a pastor of athieism these days. Such pastors do not usually know that what they say and whatever ceremony they perform has NO consequences in terms of doing what a civil marriage actually does - it takes two people who are not legally bound together and changes their status to actual family members as spouses. It has distinct civil, legal consequences. This is why a civil marriage license, gotten from a courthouse, is absolutely necessary to validate a marriage.

Note, there is one exception to the doctrine that a marriage license must be validly issued to be married, and that is common law marriage. Common law marriage is not legal or recognized in the vast majority of states. In those states where it is recognized, the requirements cannot be met in prison.

Sorry. Your pen pal is not actually married.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Yet nowhere did she state the didn't sign a marriage license so yes her pen pal may be legally married if they were able to obtain and validate a marriage license. I have no idea if that's possible, but in states that allow proxy marriages or absentee marriages it just may be (doubtful but maybe). I don't see a prison allowing a couple to be housed together nor going out of their way to allow such a marriage.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:46 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreicon View Post
Yet nowhere did she state the didn't sign a marriage license so yes her pen pal may be legally married if they were able to obtain and validate a marriage license. I have no idea if that's possible, but in states that allow proxy marriages or absentee marriages it just may be (doubtful but maybe). I don't see a prison allowing a couple to be housed together nor going out of their way to allow such a marriage.
Look, they have to show documents that are physically brought into a facility. A marriage license, undoubtedly unauthorized, won't be brought in. Further a marriage license is time sensitive, and marriages have to be approved by the facility. Even proxy marriages have to be approved by the facility. You will not get treatment as spouses nor will you get the rights and privileges of spouses without facility approval.

The marriage license was totally ignored by the poster. What was important to the poster and the pen pal, apparently, was the pastor saying some words and marrying two people without authority - and I'm talking both the authority of the facility and authority by most religions since a pastor going to prison would be stripped of his licensure as well. For priests they call it being defrocked.

Somebody was trying to pull a fast one. And there is no way they are going to be housed together. The fact that they are in the same facility still indicates that the facility and their legal counsel do not consider it a legal marriage.

They are lucky they are not in SHU with one awaiting transfer to a more secure facility.

Again, a pastor saying words is not enough to be legally married. Guaranteed that any rings that they are wearing are made out of paper or whatever they can make one out of at the facility, and not actual approved wedding rings.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-18-2017)