Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) - Chowchilla
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) - Chowchilla Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Central California Women's Facility located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM

Default Friend is a New Inmate..questions

My best friend just arrived at Chowchilla yesterday. Is there anything I should know? When can I send her first package? She's now 5 hours away from me so I won't be able to visit often. I will be writing her everyday tho! Will she be able to call right away or do I have to set up a phone account? Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 PM

I would wait until you get confirmation from her.

Was she previously in a different prison, or did she just end up there from a county jail? If this is her first state prison then she would be in "receiving" which means that she will have a lot of restrictions. A friend of mine was sent to Chowchilla and she couldn't get packages while she was in receiving, which lasted for months. She was eventually transferred to another facility before she could actually receive packages.

Visits are also restricted. My friend couldn't have contact visits while she was in receiving.

Phone calls were also an issue. She couldn't make phone calls while in receiving unless she was working at a job, which are hard to come by in receiving. Although, it appears that sweet talking the guards can make for exceptions.

The California state prisons allow sending stationary supplies through the mail, so I recommend that you put together a small package containing blank paper, envelopes and stamps. The limit is two books of stamps, 40 envelopes, and I forget the amount of paper, I think it is 200 sheets.

There is also a 1 pound limit on the package, and it must be sent via the USPS so you will probably hit the 1 pound limit before the maximum number of sheets!

If she has restitution to pay then sending her stationary supplies is more cost effective than sending her money. Stamps have great trading power in the prisons.

Expect about a two week turn around on letters. I would write once a week and often had two or three letters "in the pipe". I always dated the letters and referenced the last letter (by date) that I had received from my friend.

You can also send pictures, up to 10 at one time. My friend was a real trader and she liked getting pictures of 'fairies' and other fantasy things so she could trade them.

R. Mc.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM

Thank you so much! She just got to Chowchilla yesterday,transferred from County so yes she's in receiving..I'm putting her stationary package together right now. Thank you for all the great info! Do you know if she has to send me a visitor form once she can get visits? I haven't had to send things or visit a prison since my ex hubby was locked up. I feel like a rookie again!
Old 01-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Yes, the process to have visits is that she has to obtain a form, fill out her portion and then send it to you. You fill out your portion and mail it back to the prison (not to the inmate, to the main prison address). They will then do their check and (hopefully) approve you for visits. They will then notify the inmate of the approval, and she will notify you.

Once you are approved you can make a reservation to visit, which is done on the "vpass" website. You can find more information here:

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/index.html

If you are coming a long way for a visit then I suggest you pay careful attention to the dress requirements AND bring alternate clothing that you can change into in case they decide to not allow what you are wearing.

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
Cutepixie (02-02-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 PM

Thank you very much for all the info. She can't write me until I send her paper n stamps n envelopes..how do I send them to her if I don't have her housing info yet? Just send it with her name and CDC number to the prison address for inmate mail??