Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Waiting for Him ツ

Default I need help understanding Reclass...

I am SO frustrated tonight. My guy is in the county for a misdemeanor until October 21, 2010. Well he's been kicking around the idea of getting reclassed so that he can be moved to another pod {and hopefully onto trustee}, ideally to a pod that houses other guys who are serving misdemeanors and not guys who are waiting for their ride to prison. Why should he be housed with prison bound inmates anyway? Or do the jails just mix these guys up? I'm not quite that education on all of this stuff... um... yet. But anyway, here's where the frustration begins... Here in Elkhart County in order for him to reclass and be moved to another pod he has to go to SEG {solitary confinement} and wait for the lady who does the reclassing to reclass him and assign him to another pod. He asked to be sent to SEG last night. I know she CAN have him in and out of Seg in 24 hours but I doubt she's made it happen this quick. While he is in Seg he will be locked down 23 hours a day and in the 1 hour he is out he will be allowed to shower, watch tv and/or use the phone. And the part that really sucks is typically our visits are on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. Since he is now in Seg I will only get to see him 15 minutes on Fridays. Until he is reclassed and removed from Seg. I've been a crying mess all day wondering what time it would be that they'd let him out for that 1 hour and I'd get my 15 minute call. Well guess what... I did not hear from him at all today. I've asked around to others who have husbands in this jail and they've said they haven't heard from their guys either so putting 2 and 2 together we're guessing the phone system is down yet AGAIN.

So now that I've rambled on and on about the situation here is the question... If someone WANTS to do better for themselves in jail and do volunteer work for the jail in order to earn longer visits and other perks why does the jail choose to punish them first by locking them down for 23 hours a day and not even giving them any idea of how many days they are to be locked down like this??? To me that just seems very cruel... I just can not wrap my mind around this concept. Can someone PLEASE explain this to me??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM
muyas wife

you said he asked for seg??? thats what seg is, i guess he did this so he wouldnt be with other inmates.

my soulmate is now home!!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Waiting for Him ツ

No you're misunderstanding me, or I worded that wrong, sorry. I will try to clear that part up...

The pod that he is currently in is B pod, he is wanting to try to be selected for Trustee. They told him they are not taking anyone from B pod to be a trustee, he would have to move to another pod, which meant he would have to reclass. In order to reclass the jails procedure is to take the inmates totally out of the pod their in and send them to seg until they can find a spot for them in another pod. He has no problems with being with other inmates he'd just like to become a trustee so that he can pass his days quicker and get the perks the trustees get. My question is, why does the jail have to lock people down in seg in order to reclass them?

I hope that makes more sense lol, sorry again...

Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 PM
muyas wife

ok i got ya now!!! smart guy, i used to love being a trustee, it did make time go by faster, and you do get more food then others, not only that it is a good work out with the industrial mop!!!! well i pray he gets to another pod soon, sucks coz he is on lockdown for 23 hours a day, but at least no one can bother him, good luck and let me know what happens ok?

my soulmate is now home!!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Aight. I'll take a crack at this one. I've seen things from both sides.

First I totally agree with you that the system is messed up, so don't think I'm taking the jail's side.

In "most" jails yes all inmates are mixed up together. The jail has to classify inmates as a whole and there are stinkers in there doing misdemeanor time just like there are guys who are waiting to go to prison. So the jail really shouldn't pay any attention to the charges of the inmates. (The only exceptions are certain types of inmates who would be in danger if other inmates knew what they were in for...read as child molesters and snitches.)

Jail is punishment, no one is in there for singing too loudly in church. If anyone mistakes jail or prison for some type of therapy that is supposed to improve a person, they're sadly mistaken. So "wanting" to do better doesn't earn you any special privileges, he can sign up for classes (if offered) and go to church just like everyone else if he wants to become a better person.

Because everyone and their brother would "like" to have as many privileges as they can the jail simply can't make everyone who would like to be a trustee a trustee. The jail (supposedly) put a lot of thought into classifying him the way they did and doesn't like anyone questioning their decision.

He is right, the most common way to get moved is to get put into Seg, which he failed to mention to you requires that you get into trouble. It's extremely, extremely rare for someone to ask for seg and be given it. (After all, some people like the "pirks" of being in seg...in some facilities it means a private cell or quieter cell, sometimes it means getting away from people who are out to get you.) So you can't ask for it, yet, if you fight with another inmate or destroy jail property they'll move you to seg quick and leave you there for a while as punishment.

All this to say that yes, the system is that messed up. Your guy's best bet is to ask to talk to the jail commander and express an interest in becoming a trustee. Don't raise a big fuss over it, the jail commander is a busy person and has no obligation to move him. Once your guy has expressed an interest in it chances are they'll start watching him and IF an opportunity comes up they might move him without putting him in seg. But he probably won't get there if he decides to put himself in Seg by acting up.

I hope that helped. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Waiting for Him ツ

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme_in View Post
Aight. I'll take a crack at this one. I've seen things from both sides.

First I totally agree with you that the system is messed up, so don't think I'm taking the jail's side.

In "most" jails yes all inmates are mixed up together. The jail has to classify inmates as a whole and there are stinkers in there doing misdemeanor time just like there are guys who are waiting to go to prison. So the jail really shouldn't pay any attention to the charges of the inmates. (The only exceptions are certain types of inmates who would be in danger if other inmates knew what they were in for...read as child molesters and snitches.)

Jail is punishment, no one is in there for singing too loudly in church. If anyone mistakes jail or prison for some type of therapy that is supposed to improve a person, they're sadly mistaken. So "wanting" to do better doesn't earn you any special privileges, he can sign up for classes (if offered) and go to church just like everyone else if he wants to become a better person.

Because everyone and their brother would "like" to have as many privileges as they can the jail simply can't make everyone who would like to be a trustee a trustee. The jail (supposedly) put a lot of thought into classifying him the way they did and doesn't like anyone questioning their decision.

He is right, the most common way to get moved is to get put into Seg, which he failed to mention to you requires that you get into trouble. It's extremely, extremely rare for someone to ask for seg and be given it. (After all, some people like the "pirks" of being in seg...in some facilities it means a private cell or quieter cell, sometimes it means getting away from people who are out to get you.) So you can't ask for it, yet, if you fight with another inmate or destroy jail property they'll move you to seg quick and leave you there for a while as punishment.

All this to say that yes, the system is that messed up. Your guy's best bet is to ask to talk to the jail commander and express an interest in becoming a trustee. Don't raise a big fuss over it, the jail commander is a busy person and has no obligation to move him. Once your guy has expressed an interest in it chances are they'll start watching him and IF an opportunity comes up they might move him without putting him in seg. But he probably won't get there if he decides to put himself in Seg by acting up.

I hope that helped. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks Luckyme, actually here in Elkhart county we must have our own set of jail rules lol. Actually the rule is after you're booked in you have to go to where ever they house you for I believe 60 days and then you can ask to be reclassed to be moved. They placed him in Medium security & when he asked to go to be a Trustee was told they were no longer accepting anyone from Med. Security {at this time} so he said okay how do I get to Min. Security and they told him he'd have to reclass. So he said okay and asked to be reclassed. His 60 days have been up for awhile so they said okay we'll reclass you. Step 1 is sit in Seg and wait to be reclassed. So Monday he was placed in Seg to get this ball rolling. He didn't get into trouble or anything to be placed there that's just the jails policy. Yesterday morning he was taken from Seg and placed in Min. Security aka A dorm YAY!! He's once again put his request in for Trustee so now we're waiting on that, the lady who makes that decision is going to be gone for a few days so we won't know the answer until next week or later.

But anyway - now you really have me interested... So you're telling me that in Indiana it isn't necessary or even common for people to go to Seg to be reclassed??? How in the world is the Elkhart County Jail getting away with doing this to people?? What is the purpose for them to take someone out of Med. Security placing them in Max Security just to put them into Min. Security? It sounds messed up to me and that's why I'm questioning it, I know that's this jails everyday procedure so how in the world are they getting away with it??

Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM

In the 3 county jails I've dealt with here in Indiana they don't even have a "classification" really. Everyone is just an inmate and they try to keep the "bad apples" seperated. Everyone else is just a casualty you'll be placed in a dorm/block with at least one rowdy person and they don't pay any attention to your request to be moved unless you get in trouble or you get a lawyer involved. Literally in 2 of the county jails my ex was ordered into a block with people who had threatened his life and the jail had written proof of it. Given a choice of follow orders or go to Seg and get a write up, he opted to go to Seg and get the write rather than get the snot beat out of him.

Trustees in our neck of the woods are the folks who get thrown into the weekend drunk tank and the guards all know, no requesting to be a trustee you're either offered it or not based on if they like you or not.