Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Illinois should be posted here.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 AM

Question Can an inmate parole to the same town as the victim in a DV case?

Can an inmate parole to the same town as the victim in a DV case? Especially if the address is less than one mile away? There are no OPs anymore.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2019, 10:01 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,573 Times in 16,369 Posts

Possibly. If coming out on parole, it will be up to the PO to approve / disprove any Home Placement. However, there is normally a no-contact stipulation, if not through the courts, then by the Parole Board / PO.

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM

Thank you. If the victim moved and did not give her new address and she is now within blocks of approved address what do we do? Im afraid parole board thinks she lives at old address. He has 5 years of parole so does that mean no contact for that long too?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH141504 View Post
Thank you. If the victim moved and did not give her new address and she is now within blocks of approved address what do we do? Im afraid parole board thinks she lives at old address. He has 5 years of parole so does that mean no contact for that long too?
As the victim, I would think that Illinois notified or attempted to notify her of the parole hearing well in advance. Victim input sometimes makes a difference in the outcome of the hearing.

Its fairly standard procedure for an offender to have as one of his/her parole stipulations that there be no contact with the victim or the victim's family. The offender signs that they understand all their stipulations / restrictions at their first PO meeting (if not before, while still in prison). Yes, the entire 5 years of parole, any contact will a violation of parole.

I moved your thread here to the Illinois forum earlier today because some states are more stringent than others and/or may have a special rule or two.....hopefully one of the Illinois folks can shed some light on anything I may have left out / missed as I'm in Kentucky and not terribly familiar with Illinois - hence most of what I've stated is fairly standard / routine.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
What county are you? It shouldnt be an issue, but the entire parole time will stipulate no contact at all. Is he on 5 years for sure, usually its only mandatory 4. If he ever catches another case, the victim will never be allowed to visit either. IDOC is VERY strict with DV. I dont mean this to imply going around anything, but not bringing up the victim during the home site visit for parole approval is best. The po may say how/why do you know where he/she lives, etc and get nervous. They may have the victims address already, but different counties vary.
The victim will be notified of his release prior to him getting out, as well as thru VINE the day before. He/she will not be notified of his parole address though. So if its in his best interest the victim doesnt know then thats a good thing so theres no temptation for contact. Even communication thru a third party will be prohibited, and like I said Illinois is very strict and diligent with DV. Hope this helped a little.

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.

The Following User Says Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-18-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM

The victim needs help. She thought that pressing charges against him would make him beg for her and their two kids. I’m not sure if this makes sense but she is very deep in the DV cycle. She has no job, no money, refuses any help except for help from his family because she is desperate to stay in contact with him. She claims it is for their children, but it’s clear at this point that it is not. I worry because I believe she thinks he will get out, and in the past he would cut corners and disobey laws (hence why he is in prison now). Since we’ve seen her utter dependence on solely his family, to the point where she declines help that she and the kids desperately need only so she can continue to play to his family’s emotions and keep them close. I fear he will get out, she will see he’s not going to cut corners and she will find the smallest thing like living less than a mile apart to send him back. I could very well see her lying to parole people about her address or saying yes it’s okay, only to feel that she has the power to send him back. It’s very complicated and complex. I’m not sure if this makes sense, but on top of the criminal piece there is a deep DV abuse cycle that impedes her thought process. Because we are new to all of this, we want to know the bottom line rules and regulations so we can avoid any issues. Also, I would hate for his mothers address to be approved (the victim frequents the location currently) and for the victim to show up saying she is there for grandma to see the kids or some excuse. It might be civil for a moment, but it would eventually lead to issues either her finding any fault to report to parole or him making poor decisions. This is from Lake County. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Please tell me more!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

As crazy as it sounds, she can talk to him all day long, call him, send him mail to his mom's. He'll be the one with no-contact w/victim restriction. He has to avoid speaking to her: If she shows up at his mom's, he needs to leave the porperty...with his mouth shut. If she calls, he don't answer; if he mistakenly answers her call, hang up immediately. Document everything (date, time, method of contact) and he should contact his PO the first time she tries to initiate contact, before things out of hand.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
As crazy as it sounds, she can talk to him all day long, call him, send him mail to his mom's. He'll be the one with no-contact w/victim restriction. He has to avoid speaking to her: If she shows up at his mom's, he needs to leave the porperty...with his mouth shut. If she calls, he don't answer; if he mistakenly answers her call, hang up immediately. Document everything (date, time, method of contact) and he should contact his PO the first time she tries to initiate contact, before things out of hand.
I second this motion entirely!! Try and advise him to establish a good rapport with his po right off the bat, keep track of ANY communication from her. DO NOT ENGAGE. Do not reply. Do not threaten to tell her shell be reported. Do not have anyone else contact her to knock it off. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I know it sounds excessive but this is his freedom, he needs to protect it. They will violate him in a heartbeat if they think somethings going on. He will always be the one convicted of the DV, and IDOC will err on the side of caution. I have seen the damage done by this, freedom lost over it. He will HAVE to accept this for how tough itll be, but its his freedom. And another 2 years in prison if yes violated. Tell him stay strong, be diligent, put himself and his freedom first.

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.

patchouli (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
The victim needs help. She thought that pressing charges against him would make him beg for her and their two kids. Im not sure if this makes sense but she is very deep in the DV cycle. She has no job, no money, refuses any help except for help from his family because she is desperate to stay in contact with him. She claims it is for their children, but its clear at this point that it is not. I worry because I believe she thinks he will get out, and in the past he would cut corners and disobey laws (hence why he is in prison now). Since weve seen her utter dependence on solely his family, to the point where she declines help that she and the kids desperately need only so she can continue to play to his familys emotions and keep them close. I fear he will get out, she will see hes not going to cut corners and she will find the smallest thing like living less than a mile apart to send him back. I could very well see her lying to parole people about her address or saying yes its okay, only to feel that she has the power to send him back. Its very complicated and complex. Im not sure if this makes sense, but on top of the criminal piece there is a deep DV abuse cycle that impedes her thought process. Because we are new to all of this, we want to know the bottom line rules and regulations so we can avoid any issues. Also, I would hate for his mothers address to be approved (the victim frequents the location currently) and for the victim to show up saying she is there for grandma to see the kids or some excuse. It might be civil for a moment, but it would eventually lead to issues either her finding any fault to report to parole or him making poor decisions. This is from Lake County. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Please tell me more!
Were the kids present or were they ever on the OP?

Old 07-19-2019, 05:50 PM

They were present. They both are flagged by DCFS. I think. Thank you for the advice. This is new to us. He was most definitely wrong, and he’s doing his time. I just don’t want her (his baby mama) causing more issues because he wants to comply with the parole guidelines. She needs help, but like an addict you can’t force someone to see or get help. They have to want it enough. I wish she did for herself and the kids. But she is so toxically obsessed with him. Thank you again. They did have contact a few times in prison. I’m not sure how, she either used fake name or he sent mail to someone to give to her. They had video visits and a few calls before the prison found out and notified them both of zero contact through prison and parole. I also have a one year old with him so I am trying to wrap my head around this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJH141504 For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-19-2019), patchouli (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
They were present. They both are flagged by DCFS. I think. Thank you for the advice. This is new to us. He was most definitely wrong, and hes doing his time. I just dont want her (his baby mama) causing more issues because he wants to comply with the parole guidelines. She needs help, but like an addict you cant force someone to see or get help. They have to want it enough. I wish she did for herself and the kids. But she is so toxically obsessed with him. Thank you again. They did have contact a few times in prison. Im not sure how, she either used fake name or he sent mail to someone to give to her. They had video visits and a few calls before the prison found out and notified them both of zero contact through prison and parole. I also have a one year old with him so I am trying to wrap my head around this.
Stay strong mama. Everyone will get thru it one day at a time. Hes doing his time, and deserves his fresh start afterwards. Its a long road, but its temporary. And recoverable.

patchouli (07-20-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Thank you! Trying to stay strong. It’s the first time ever knowing or having someone incarcerated. It’s like a secret society, subculture, underground life that I didn’t know anything about. I so appreciate your responses!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJH141504 For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-20-2019), patchouli (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Thank you! Trying to stay strong. Its the first time ever knowing or having someone incarcerated. Its like a secret society, subculture, underground life that I didnt know anything about. I so appreciate your responses!
Right there with ya sis. But I became educated so I could advocate for him out here, learn the rules, know his rights, and deal with not one-but TWO exs that have done horrible shit to him in the past. Shit like this. He had to be the strong one at the end of the day. Learn his coping tools, not react in anger. But if you can be the calm in his life during the chaos, you guys can get thru it. Theyll eventually give way.

patchouli (07-20-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:06 AM

That’s very similar to our situation. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Donation Award 

IDOC has a rule for people on parole once a victim always a victim. It does not take a conviction to be a victim, if a police report indicates that the person was a victim of DV then in the eyes of parole they are. If a person has an emergency OOP issued then does not show up and the OOP is dropped they are still classified as a protected person for the duration of parole. A victim can also be the person or property of a theft or burglary non-DV related. I realize you have a child in common and are concerned that the other mother of his children may try or will try to control him during his parole term if they have contact. I have dealt with this many times in the past and it will not end well for him or his freedom. All it takes is a snapshot of a facebook post or a pic of her phone log in a moment of anger or intoxication to the parole division and he is violated. DV cases in Illinois have a 4 year parole term not five.
Take Care Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris idoc For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (08-11-2019), patchouli (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris idoc View Post
IDOC has a rule for people on parole once a victim always a victim. It does not take a conviction to be a victim, if a police report indicates that the person was a victim of DV then in the eyes of parole they are. If a person has an emergency OOP issued then does not show up and the OOP is dropped they are still classified as a protected person for the duration of parole. A victim can also be the person or property of a theft or burglary non-DV related. I realize you have a child in common and are concerned that the other mother of his children may try or will try to control him during his parole term if they have contact. I have dealt with this many times in the past and it will not end well for him or his freedom. All it takes is a snapshot of a facebook post or a pic of her phone log in a moment of anger or intoxication to the parole division and he is violated. DV cases in Illinois have a 4 year parole term not five.
Take Care Chris
Yep this is all on point. Except in the case of a former victim of DV, they allowed her to be an approved visitor which baffles me.