Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Default Computer monitoring/supervision software?

Hello,

Iím to self surrender coming up but Iíll be out in a few years. I noticed that during my probation period Iíll have to have some sort of monitoring/supervision software on my computers. What are they like? What should I know before it happens?

As much as I dislike it, I understand as I was arrested for hacking.

But I also intend to work in the cybersecurity field and so how do I manage when the tools for work are very similar to those for hacking?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,526 Times in 11,940 Posts

If your case is federal, the monitoring program will follow everything you do on your computer. Your PO will impose restrictions, (from your judgment & commitment order, plus any others they want to add), no social media is a common one, and any time you violate one of your rules, you will be subject to a possible violation and a return to prison. Also, don't automatically expect to be allowed any computer access, or being allowed to work in cyber security.

In addition to having my computer monitored, I was asked during a mandatory polygraph if I had ever, even once, used an unmonitored computer.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

As part of your supervision requirements, you won't be allowed to use any computer that doesn't have said monitoring software installed. This means you probably won't be able to seek employment for any job that uses computers, because very few employers are going to allow you to install said monitoring software (spyware) on sensitive company machines containing private company information.

How long is your supervised release term? Once you are completely off paper (done with probation) this restriction will no longer apply, and you can work wherever you want.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Thanked 1,551 Times in 618 Posts

My son was in IT & now has a felony with the restriction of no computer or smartphone. He is allowed to use a supervised computer at work but no one will hire him because they don't want the hassle & "risk" of someone pitching a fit because a felon works there. He is going to request a modification to allow him to use the smartphone & computer with monitoring. He had it before & it does work. From what I understand it takes a screenshot of your computer screen every 30 seconds or so & if there is something that triggers their software, it alerts them. And it is super sensitive so it catches even legit things that trigger keywords. One of the popular monitoring products is called Remotecom. Their site might explain about it. I can tell you from our experience that the DA was very forceful about completely restricting my son's use of technology. She seemed to think he was able to get around anything. That wasn't true but her "feelings" were more compelling than fact. If you have been labeled a hacker, be prepared for a fierce argument by prosecution to take away any technology that allows you access to the internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM

I have been on probation and have the software installed on both laptop and smart phone. Not intrusive at all, but will report to PO whenever certain words or phrases are used even in the most non descriptive way. For example when doing "homework" for therapy sometimes words used will cause a report from their system to the probation office. And she'll call or email me and understand the circumstances so no hassle. No tto say all are like that. Cost to me is $1.00 per day per device.
The Following User Says Thank You to PHMelious For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-06-2018)