Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to Pleasant Valley State Prison (PVSP) in Coalinga, California.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM

So, my man just got transferred to Jamestown from Centinela on a hardship, was on orientation for 2+ weeks, finally went to classification committee this week just to be told that he and 14 other men he came with are being transferred to PVSP because they are younger, healthy Hispanics and Whites, so they will be REPLACING men who have been approved to leave PVSP because of the Valley Fever stuff, and he leaves Aug 5th (and they don't give a crap about his hardship)! Am I missing something here?! I thought they had to empty out PVSP and Avenal, not fill them back up with men who are "less likely" to acquire Valley Fever!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to fattymuffintop For This Useful Post:
ImRobsMom (01-01-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Thanked 1,280 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattymuffintop View Post
So, my man just got transferred to Jamestown from Centinela on a hardship, was on orientation for 2+ weeks, finally went to classification committee this week just to be told that he and 14 other men he came with are being transferred to PVSP because they are younger, healthy Hispanics and Whites, so they will be REPLACING men who have been approved to leave PVSP because of the Valley Fever stuff, and he leaves Aug 5th (and they don't give a crap about his hardship)! Am I missing something here?! I thought they had to empty out PVSP and Avenal, not fill them back up with men who are "less likely" to acquire Valley Fever!!!

Wow, that sucks...I would try to call the Ombudsman on this one as well as have your LO talk to his Counselor. Regrading the "hardship". PV and Avenal are clearing out only those that are in poor health and who fall under the "criteria". They are not shuting down unfortunatley. I hope it works out for the both of you.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Default Donations

PV, got Christmas Tress for all the yards. This past weekend they had signs. They are looking for donations new or used ornaments for the trees. They are taking everything but glass ornaments.

Last year they had no trees at all. It's good to see them do it this year for the visiting buildings.....

Had I known, I would have stopped by the dollar store to pick some up.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica View Post
PV, got Christmas Tress for all the yards. This past weekend they had signs. They are looking for donations new or used ornaments for the trees. They are taking everything but glass ornaments.

Last year they had no trees at all. It's good to see them do it this year for the visiting buildings.....

Had I known, I would have stopped by the dollar store to pick some up.

Hi how are you? this is awesome news!! Do you know if we can mail them in to the office ? i wont be visiting until dec 28th. also do you know if we are allowed to donate any footballs? soccer balls? I know D yard needs them they have footballs but no soccer balls. Thanks for the helpful info on the decorations that is awesome
The Following User Says Thank You to adamswiffey For This Useful Post:
Mylonglostlove (12-13-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamswiffey View Post
Hi how are you? this is awesome news!! Do you know if we can mail them in to the office ? i wont be visiting until dec 28th. also do you know if we are allowed to donate any footballs? soccer balls? I know D yard needs them they have footballs but no soccer balls. Thanks for the helpful info on the decorations that is awesome

I'm great thank you . Yes, you can address the ornaments to the Sargent, in visiting .

As far as sports balls YES you can, however you need to donate them in 5's. This way each yard can get a donated item. Just like scrabble, dominos, or uno cards, they want you to donate them in 5's

Your welcome Adamswiffey.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Account Closed

Default Earthquake

Ladies -

For those you who don't know there was a 4.1 earthquake 20mi southeast of Avenal last night at 11:50. It was a pretty strong jolt so if our LO's were awake they would have felt it. News is reporting no damage or injuries.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamor View Post
Ladies -

For those you who don't know there was a 4.1 earthquake 20mi southeast of Avenal last night at 11:50. It was a pretty strong jolt so if our LO's were awake they would have felt it. News is reporting no damage or injuries.

THANK YOU
Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Account Closed

Your welcome Nica
Old 12-16-2013, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the info about the Earthquake. Sigh.... Ima write my guy now. Thankfully no injuries were reported but I do think about him.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Soy Su Mil~Colores ❤️

Default Rumble

Earthquake this morning 4.7 in the Central Valley area, between Fresno and Bakersfield. I heard it this morning on the morning news in the LA area, it happened I believe around 4:50 am Monday morning.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattymuffintop View Post

We had a hardship from the ombudsman and they sent mine away too.... they are no longer going by hardships anymore which is sucks! Hopefully jamestown is better we just came here from centinela and that was the worst place we have been to so far

Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 PM

My son arrived at PVSP (December 12), he is 19 and Mexican American. Sounds like he fits the criteria of young, healthy and Hispanic. I had forgotten all about valley fever. Great. Now I'm even more bummed out.

In his last letter he did mention that he was at a level III prison.

MM
Old 12-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Account Closed

Hopefully your son will be fine, sounds like he's probably pretty healthy and being so young but even still he CAN get Valley Fever. They say that Filipinos and African-Americans are more prone to getting Valley Fever but that doesn't preclude your son.

My ex was healthy as a horse and white, he got Valley Fever from working in the Central Valley and was sicker than a dog and off work for three months. So Valley Fever does not discriminate. Educate yourself and your son on what the signs and symptoms of Valley Fever are so you both know what to look out for.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 AM

Thank you so much for replying back and sharing your thoughts and additional info.
Our family is pretty devastated at this point, but we are being strong for my son. I'm praying he may have developed some type of immunity since we would visit family in Hanford often, but I know there is still a risk. I wrote him today and told him all about Valley Fever and included several printout articles about Valley Fever and how to recognize the signs/symptoms. He's pretty proactive about putting in forms if he needs to go to medical. It's just so heartbreaking/upsetting to think that the state is treating our LO's without any regard to their health. How can we put pressure to close down those two prisons?

My thoughts are with all of you that have loved ones in PVSP and Avenal.

MM
Old 12-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarMar916 View Post
Thank you so much for replying back and sharing your thoughts and additional info.
Our family is pretty devastated at this point, but we are being strong for my son. I'm praying he may have developed some type of immunity since we would visit family in Hanford often, but I know there is still a risk. I wrote him today and told him all about Valley Fever and included several printout articles about Valley Fever and how to recognize the signs/symptoms. He's pretty proactive about putting in forms if he needs to go to medical. It's just so heartbreaking/upsetting to think that the state is treating our LO's without any regard to their health. How can we put pressure to close down those two prisons?

My thoughts are with all of you that have loved ones in PVSP and Avenal.

MM
Unfortunately I don't believe CDCR will ever allow these two facilities to be closed, they'll just continue to do as they are now. They'll send the inmates who are at risk to another prison and really it's just a game of shuffling the inmates around to fall into line with what ever the courts orders are at the time. The one thing your son can do is stay on top of his health, which it sounds like he's doing that and every year they have the opportunity to go to committee for their annual review so he can always request a transfer at that time. Doesn't guarantee he'll get transferred but it doesn't hurt to try.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 PM
chitosbee

Found out today that my husband has hep C. He is 43, Mex, and had tested positive for exposure to valley fever years back, but never caught it. Now that Hep C is in the picture, will they transfer him? Anyone know of similar circumstances and what the outcome was?
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamor View Post
Unfortunately I don't believe CDCR will ever allow these two facilities to be closed, they'll just continue to do as they are now. They'll send the inmates who are at risk to another prison and really it's just a game of shuffling the inmates around to fall into line with what ever the courts orders are at the time. The one thing your son can do is stay on top of his health, which it sounds like he's doing that and every year they have the opportunity to go to committee for their annual review so he can always request a transfer at that time. Doesn't guarantee he'll get transferred but it doesn't hurt to try.
Thank you for the reply. I'll share the info with my son.
I'm still coping with the fact he's incarcerated and then to deal with Valley Fever, it's pretty tough.
This forum has given some support so I appreciate you all already.

MM
Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitosbee View Post
Found out today that my husband has hep C. He is 43, Mex, and had tested positive for exposure to valley fever years back, but never caught it. Now that Hep C is in the picture, will they transfer him? Anyone know of similar circumstances and what the outcome was?

Im not sure about your question but Im sorry to hear about his health! I know the treatment for Hep. C is pretty intense hope his body takes to it well!

The Following User Says Thank You to Triggers Wife For This Useful Post:
chitosbee (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Account Closed

He should be transferred. Having Hep C he's considered a medical high risk and meets the criteria for those they don't want to keep at PVSP. He should take the transfer, that Valley Fever is no joke!! I know some of the inmates are allowed to sign a waiver so they don't have to be moved but Hep C if I remember right still will be transferred as Valley Fever becomes a factor in addition to his Hep C.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:21 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,861 Times in 10,459 Posts

This thread is all over the place and ceases to be useful. In the future use separate threads to discuss separate issues so that they remain relevant for members searching for information. This thread is now closed.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Closed Thread