Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Default Scented paper

I'm new to the whole prison penpal thing. Recently found out a friend from HS is doing life in prison. I'm trying to ensure that I am playing by the rules and not get either of us in trouble.
I know some things like:
No stickers.
Pictures no larger than 4"x6" and no Polaroids.
No mechanical or musical cards
What about scented paper? I've always left my writing paper in a box with essential oils or drawer potpourri sachets and thought that would be nice for him to smell something other than jail scents but don't want to get him in trouble (or me!).
What are other things I need to be aware of when sending him letters? I read the whole DOC inmate mail thing. Some things are obvious but others are less so.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2019, 07:12 PM

All i know is scented paper is how some people gey drugs in. The lace the paper with drugs & then spray perfume on it to cover the smell

Im not sure if there is a rule against it but they will probably heavily look at your mail
Old 01-20-2019, 07:30 PM

Per dept order 914- “2.9.1.5 Unknown foreign substances and/or powders
2.9.1.6 Oils, perfumes, incense or personal property item”

It doesn’t specifically say no scented paper, but i would stay away from it so things aren’t complicated.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Thanked 1,488 Times in 750 Posts

Also a lot of people are sensitive to perfumes and those kind of things. I personally can't stand when I get a magazine filled with perfume samples and smells. They're so strong I literally dump the magazine in my recycling bin before I even make it into my house. Not sure how if a guy would appreciate these smells or not and more so if his roommates would, so I agree, keep it simple. Send in some nice appropriate pictures and/or cards if you're allowed to just let him know you're thinking about him. He will probably appreciate an "I'm thinking about you" card a lot more than some fragrant scented piece of stationery.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaflower View Post
I'm new to the whole prison penpal thing. Recently found out a friend from HS is doing life in prison. I'm trying to ensure that I am playing by the rules and not get either of us in trouble.
I know some things like:
No stickers.
Pictures no larger than 4"x6" and no Polaroids.
No mechanical or musical cards
What about scented paper? I've always left my writing paper in a box with essential oils or drawer potpourri sachets and thought that would be nice for him to smell something other than jail scents but don't want to get him in trouble (or me!).
What are other things I need to be aware of when sending him letters? I read the whole DOC inmate mail thing. Some things are obvious but others are less so.
Thanks for your help in advance.
, hi there
I have sent cards and letters with perfume and not had any trouble. I sentt a whole bunch of Christmas cards and they went through no problems. My guy loves it when they smell like me.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Thank you for the input...I know one of the things he said he missed was the smells of flowers and trees so I was trying to be creative.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:34 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,368 Times in 536 Posts

Twice, my son received a magazine that they didn't pull the advertisement samples out of the pages, so he had an aftershave sample or other male product scent sample from a scratch and sniff ad. He mentioned how great it was to have something that didn't smell like everything and everyone else in the dorm. He could trade it for a lot of coffee or some other commissary products from the guys, but didn't. So it seems that having something different to smell is on their wish list.

Someone else I know sent a letter using scented markers and it was contraband. Spraying a scent of any type on the paper probably would be a problem.

Setting all that aside, paper picks up the smells in our home, from our skin, etc. You might just put a nicely scented hand lotion on, write your letter, and it wouldn't be overwhelming and noticeable to the mail room, but your LO could hold it close to their face and still be able to scent a bit of you off of it.