Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Default Need Inmate Store List and Item Costs

My stepson is asking for more money for winter clothes. The amount seems a bit excessive. Can anyone provide a Inmate Store List and the associated costs of items? My wife does not want to send too much as he tends to get into more trouble when he has any money.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Don't Understand Inmate Store List

After more searching I found the Imate Store List starting at page 28 of the PDF found on the azcorrections.gov page under Policies/900/0909.pdf
INMATE STORE / PROPERTY LIST - DO 909 ATTACHMENT A

But I don't understand the colum headings and the monetary amounts associated with them.

Minimum by Phase / Medium by Phase / Close by Phase Maximum by Phase

Each of the above colums have these phases and amounts associated with them: I = $40 II=$60.00 II=$80

What do those colums mean?

What does the Flm Bkr and CDU DET colums mean?

Example:
Item: Pants - All colums have 2 under them except the last two. CDU has a 0 under it and DET has a 3

Background: He is a Custody Class of 3/3. (Not sure what that means or it's implecations) and he has 2 Disciplinary Infractions:
Tatto, Brands, Pierci - Verdict - Guilty - Maj. Viol and
Disrupt Count or Out - Verdict - Guilty - Min Viol.

Any help understanding all of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 PM

im not sure that thats the updated store list that just went into effect this month. i know the adc site is bad abuot updating their info at times. i do have the store lists too if you'd like me to send you them. as far as the phase columns--how much they can buy per week or month--im not sure which--depends on what their phase is. phase III is the highest phase and they have less limitations. im not sure abuot the other columns though. i'll have to ask my boyfriend next time i talk to him about it because i look at that list too and its not the easiest thing to read.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 AM

From what I understand, this year, they have to buy jackets @ $28 each, if they want them. Last year, every one was issued a jacket. The problem being, is where to store them the rest of the year.

The jackets are big and bulky and since this is my bf last winter season, I doubt he will even buy one. They are really only good if you are working an outside job, which, becomes too warm most of the time.

My bf will get a few layers of clothing to stay warm. He's in Tucson now, which is cooler than Cheyenne.

As far as the shoes are concerned, the new ones fall apart and no one really likes the boots, unless of course, you are working on a crew that requires boots.

I hope these lists help...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf clothing.pdf (415.7 KB, 299 views)
File Type: pdf Food and supplies.pdf (311.9 KB, 261 views)
File Type: pdf Personal care and supplies.pdf (387.3 KB, 258 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paulie'sGirl For This Useful Post:
all4jp (12-30-2018), crzylove (05-17-2015), hunnybear (05-28-2012), JCIwifeMD (03-29-2013)
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 AM

The lists you have found on the DOC site has nothing to do with costs of items, it tells you how much of each item an inmate can have in his possession based on what Phase or yard he is in.

Min (minimum custody) 1 or 2 yard 1/1 1/2 2/2
Med (medium custody) 3 yard 2/3 3/2 or 3/3
Close (close custody) 4 yard 3/4 4/3 4/4
CDU Central Detention Unit ie the hole
Max 5 yard 5/5

(all this can be determined as to what yard he is in...3/3 is Medium. Cheyenne is Medium yard).

The Phase system:

Phase 1 first 6 month without a ticket
Phase 2 6-12 months without a ticket
Phase 3 after year without a ticket

Phases are way DOC offers priviledges to inmates...amount of phone time, visit time, $ to be spent in store, etc.

Last edited by Paulie'sGirl; 10-21-2011 at 08:45 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie'sGirl For This Useful Post:
Thecissell's (03-18-2013)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie'sGirl View Post

From what I understand, this year, they have to buy jackets @ $28 each, if they want them. Last year, every one was issued a jacket. The problem being, is where to store them the rest of the year.

The jackets are big and bulky and since this is my bf last winter season, I doubt he will even buy one. They are really only good if you are working an outside job, which, becomes too warm most of the time.

My bf will get a few layers of clothing to stay warm. He's in Tucson now, which is cooler than Cheyenne.

As far as the shoes are concerned, the new ones fall apart and no one really likes the boots, unless of course, you are working on a crew that requires boots.

My Hon says that DOC is doing away with US stamps and the inmates are going to be forced to use the pre-stamped envelopes, on top of the shabby shoes, and a massive increase in Keefe brand ( read gawd-awful) foods at ridiculous price increases. They pulled re-fried beans off this list, but apparently are going to be stocking them. The catch? Old price $1.04 - new price $1.40 - !!!!

True remorse is never just a regret over consequences; it is a regret over motive. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Without hope you have no vision, and a vision without action is simply a dream. -Frank O'Dea, co-founder of The Second Cup

Last edited by 13MmeHomard13; 10-21-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 PM

I was talking to my Paulie, who sends me CARDS all the time. These are the greeting cards sold in the yard, by all the artists. Well he is hoarding his last 'loose' stamps for card mail outs, as the new pre-stamps postage envelopes can not be used to send greeting cards. Also we have holidays coming up and so many inmates send holiday cards out, and once again, there is the stamp issue!!

The shoes are pieces of crap. The coffee is way too expensive...almost triple what it cost before. There are granola bars on the list, but they have yet to have them in stock! And no one has gotten any gatorade either (at least in Tucson).

I am glad my timer countdown is now under 11 months. I am so tired of this whole ordeal!!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 PM

I agree the price increase for a lot of these items is terrible and I couldn't agree with you more that the shoes are crappy. I didn't even think about the cards with the holiday's but your right that will totally stink for all family and friends of our loved ones.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I was talking to my Paulie, who sends me CARDS all the time. These are the greeting cards sold in the yard, by all the artists. Well he is hoarding his last 'loose' stamps for card mail outs, as the new pre-stamps postage envelopes can not be used to send greeting cards. Also we have holidays coming up and so many inmates send holiday cards out, and once again, there is the stamp issue!!

The shoes are pieces of crap. The coffee is way too expensive...almost triple what it cost before. There are granola bars on the list, but they have yet to have them in stock! And no one has gotten any gatorade either (at least in Tucson).

I am glad my timer countdown is now under 11 months. I am so tired of this whole ordeal!!
Congratulations on reaching just 10 more months!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM

I also heard more today about postage. My son said if they want to mail a larger envelope that is not pre-stamped, they wait in line to have a 44 cent stamp applied and then are charged a "processing fee" on top of that. Not sure that is legitimate.

Quote:

Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franbake View Post
I also heard more today about postage. My son said if they want to mail a larger envelope that is not pre-stamped, they wait in line to have a 44 cent stamp applied and then are charged a "processing fee" on top of that. Not sure that is legitimate.

Seriously....is there anything in the DOC that really is legit? I see issues with human rights, civil rights, injustices of our justice system!! I could go on and on.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost<3 View Post
Congratulations on reaching just 10 more months!
All I can say, is the time has gone by so fast and I just want this to be over with. I hope the next 334 days to speed right past me!! Then I want time to slow down. Is that possible or too much to ask for?!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I miss him and I love him

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13MmeHomard13 View Post
My Hon says that DOC is doing away with US stamps and the inmates are going to be forced to use the pre-stamped envelopes, on top of the shabby shoes, and a massive increase in Keefe brand ( read gawd-awful) foods at ridiculous price increases. They pulled re-fried beans off this list, but apparently are going to be stocking them. The catch? Old price $1.04 - new price $1.40 - !!!!
Not to mention that they are selling them moldy bagels and the granola bars are so hard he nearly cracks his teeth on them. The coffee sucks and so do the other food choices. The new store has been nothing but a major headache and huge disappointment. I'm upset that everything is low quality and extremely expensive. He works hard every week, and I send him money every week. At this point, I really feel like the DOC is just wasting our money by overcharging them for crappy goods. And the postage thing is just WRONG!

And for the OP, about the jackets...it gets really cold where my guy is, so he's probably going to buy one. The jackets they hand out where he is are falling apart. With his new jacket, he'll have one that is fully lined, he can use it like a blanket, pillow, whatever. Storage will probably be an issue...but he likes that he'll be able keep using it - last time they collected the jackets when it was still really cold and everyone got sick. I think it just totally depends on where he is and the climate of the facility.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 AM

Jackets, Winter Clothing (Winslow issue additional winter clothing. Cant remember what they are called. There White and they go underneath the pants and shirt.. err. cant remember), and other items - is a luck of the draw. They replace like 10% of the winter clothing every year. so 90% is a year old or more.

Sometimes you get a new jacket - sometimes an old one. Mine was about 2 years old and in decent shape. The jacket however - isnt all that warm. Its a thicker polyester type material with some sort of thin wool lining. It does its job, just not very well.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Default Store List

Quote:
Originally Posted by im.his.baby View Post
im not sure that thats the updated store list that just went into effect this month. i know the adc site is bad abuot updating their info at times. i do have the store lists too if you'd like me to send you them. as far as the phase columns--how much they can buy per week or month--im not sure which--depends on what their phase is. phase III is the highest phase and they have less limitations. im not sure abuot the other columns though. i'll have to ask my boyfriend next time i talk to him about it because i look at that list too and its not the easiest thing to read.
Thanks. Yes please send me the store list if you can. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much. This really helps.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 AM

my husband on his way to prison does anyone know the cost of the color tvs. thank you in advance
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Approximately $250 and I understand the new "flat screens" are horrible...can not see, unless you are directly in front of them. If it's at all possible, an inmate, arriving to the yard, "needs" $300-350 to do a TV a few article of clothing, plus first round of commissary. Of course, that's in an ideal world, and I know most women are struggling with being a single parent, changing roles as being the ONE and only support, etc. There are many guys that arrive and get nothing at all.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 PM

Smile Store lists

Thank you for posting the lists, are these lists current as of now? May 2013? I am just curious. Thanks again
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 AM

This list was posted Nov 2011. As of May 2012, it's still the same.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 AM

Default Quick question

Does anyone by chance know what brand the new flat screen TV's are? Thank you
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Donation Award 

Default How can I get a store list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Thanks. Yes please send me the store list if you can. Thanks again!
I would really like to get a current store list. They are going to start using Keefe in MD where my husband is housed.

Can anyone send me a list of tell me how to download it from this site?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Donation Award 

Default Found Store Lists

Thanks to Paulie's girl. I figured out how to download the Keefe lists. Blessing to you for posting these!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 PM

My husband is currently in Florence County Jail and will be moved either this week or next week to Alhambra, then moved to whatever prison in Arizona. My question is: are we allowed to buy him items from Amazon or other places? Or am I only allowed to send him money or put money on his commissary and him buy what he needs? I know he has to get a TV and headphones, but does that have to be bought from the inmate store or can I buy that from Amazon and send it to him? Also, as far as music goes, can I buy him a CD player or MP3 Player? How would all of that work? I want the cheapest way possible because I have a 2 year old and a newborn at home.

Why is everything so expensive :-(
Old 08-09-2016, 06:18 PM

Hi and welcome. Your husband has to do all of the ordering for his TV, headphones, etc from the commissary store in the prison. You can put money on his books for the purchase as you are able to budget that in.
Music is kind of tricky, because they don't accept the Amazon orders lately in some of the yards. I personally have had better luck with Barnes & Noble on music.
The prices are outrageous and unfortunately, there is not much you can do about that. Hopefully, your husband can get a job once he lands in a yard and help to pitch in for his own needs in the future.

Stay strong for the little ones and yourself. We are all here to support you and answer questions if we can.