Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Yeah I was looking at the prices at Barnes and noble and omg so expensive... Okay so does he have to buy his own shoes there too? And I knownive heard from a few people about care packages. Is that an option or is that only in county jails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franbake View Post
Hi and welcome. Your husband has to do all of the ordering for his TV, headphones, etc from the commissary store in the prison. You can put money on his books for the purchase as you are able to budget that in.
Music is kind of tricky, because they don't accept the Amazon orders lately in some of the yards. I personally have had better luck with Barnes & Noble on music.
The prices are outrageous and unfortunately, there is not much you can do about that. Hopefully, your husband can get a job once he lands in a yard and help to pitch in for his own needs in the future.

Stay strong for the little ones and yourself. We are all here to support you and answer questions if we can.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2016, 06:52 PM

Oh! And one more question...for the music, do I have to buy CD's? Or MP3's? Because I've also heard that in certain facilities they have MP3 players for inmates. I believe it's called a JPlayer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissaCristal20 View Post
Yeah I was looking at the prices at Barnes and noble and omg so expensive... Okay so does he have to buy his own shoes there too? And I knownive heard from a few people about care packages. Is that an option or is that only in county jails?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 PM

My LO is in aspc lewis, I order cds from music by mail and books from barnes and noble. This can vary from place to place though. To be certain, call the mail room and they'll tell you exactly who the approved vendors are.
Good luck!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:06 PM

The TV is a little under $200. Depending on where he goes he may or may not need a fan. They like to get better shoes than what the prison provides and snack foods. I gave my grandson $400 when he first got transferred from Alhambra and that was more than enough for him to buy a TV, fan, shoes and a CD player. He still had a lot left over for food, but the prison food is not that bad. I believe there is a more recent list. I'll look. You can't send him anything for at least a month (I think) so there is no hurry. We will all help you with your questions.

Last edited by Tartessa; 08-09-2016 at 10:13 PM..
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 PM

The list someone described is in the DOC Handbook. It lists everything in the commissary but no prices. It just lists what they are allowed to buy depending on what phase they are in. Just ask us about a specific item and we might know.

Also, I've had good luck with Walmart for books and CDs.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:10 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,368 Times in 536 Posts
Default Inmate Property List

Everything they are allowed to have, what can be purchased in there and sent from outside is listed in Rule 909 - Attachment A. No prices but as Tartessa stated around $200 for a TV. A CD player is usually around $20. He will also need to buy the cord to plug it in and/or batteries and a headphone is required.

Shoes are definitely needed. They only provide shower shoes so any sneakers are $20 or $40. My son bought two pair of the $20 ones and they fell apart within 2 months each time. So we moved up to the $40 pair.

Most of the time inmates need to buy razors and hygiene products too. What the prison provides is very limited and only free if the inmate doesn't have any money or securepaks from outside for specific periods of time (3 months, I think).

All of those things they have to order and pay for from inside. All we can do is send a securepak, CDs, books, magazine subscription, newspaper subscription, and set up a collect telephone account.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
Mz1stladyPrice (11-29-2018)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 PM

Does anyone know how much a pair of the hair clippers are? My fiancé wants one bc his unit pair is not working bc someone took it apart to get to the motor and now no one can cut their hair so he wants his own bc he doesn't think they'll replace it anytime soon but we r debating bc he has other expenses...
Old 11-05-2018, 12:52 AM

Default Moberly MO Canteen List

Hi,

My husband is in Moberly Correctional Center in Missouri. If anyone could plz send me their canteen list i would greatly appreciate it. I've spent so much time trying to find it online and I'm not having any luck. Or if u cld tell me where I can find it that wld help too.

Thanks so much
Old 12-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Hello, I am new here and I just need to know if there is a way we can order the TV for our guys. I hear that here in AZ they are taking money from us for restitution and I would hate for them to take his TV money!
Old 12-22-2018, 04:56 PM

Sadly you cannot - you can only put money on his books and he has to order all his items himself so no you cannot. The only things you can select and order for him are in the securepak and those are smaller things like food items or some hygiene and they get those based on their phase level. So yes - if he owes restitution they will always take some from his books or when he starts working but they can only take a percentage not all of it.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,368 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtaylor62 View Post
Hello, I am new here and I just need to know if there is a way we can order the TV for our guys. I hear that here in AZ they are taking money from us for restitution and I would hate for them to take his TV money!
They get money from the inmates who have jobs and from us, to include they pay for electric each month if they have any electrical device (it is 1 or 2 dollars); they take money for restitution and fines; child support if they owe any; they take money for their gate fee (which is given back to them when they are released) and they take other money for things neither he nor I know, but which are listed on his pay sheet. Legally, the percentage of what they take for restitution and fines should be listed in their sentencing paperwork, which can be 20% to 40%.