Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Corcoran State Prison (COR) - California Topics and Discussions related to Corcoran State Prison (COR) located in Corcoran, California.

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Exclamation Yard time and Sickness??

Good afternoon ladies!

I've been hearing about a couple of issues at the SHU in Corcoran and I wanted to see if you all had any information that I can use as I try to get these issues resolved.

First, I've heard from several people in the SHU that they are not being allowed to access the exercise yard for a minimum of an hour a day, 5 days a week, as required by Title 15. I've been hearing that since September at least, they were only being allowed to exercise once or twice a week for 3-5 hours at a time. Then in mid-October the program was changed so that they could only go out to exercise if their cellies went with them. Now we're hearing that its going back to once or twice a week for 3-5 hours at a time. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Second, a few guys in the SHU have been sick with some kind of stomach virus and have been unable to get adequate medical treatment to address the issue. I know of a handful of them who have been sick for over a month and they're getting worse. Is this an issue that others have been hearing about as well?

Looking forward to hearing from you and getting these issues resolved.

Kindly,

Azadeh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azadeh For This Useful Post:
Sheryl P. (11-06-2012), Tuesday123 (11-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Azadeh-- my buddy's been in the SHU there for a month now. He looked great when I saw him this weekend, but he says food is really skimpy and he's hungry all the time. He got yard (well, you know, his cage) for like 5 straight hours the other day. What I'm most concerned about is that I sent him a stationery package a month ago, and he still hasn't received it.
Mt. 25:34-36... "...'Come, you who are blessed by my Father...For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in...I was in prison and you came to visit me.'"
The Following User Says Thank You to LBee For This Useful Post:
Sheryl P. (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,954 Times in 2,167 Posts

I believe you are correct.My loved one was taken out to exercise with no raincoat allowed in a storm and very cold,lightly hailing with lightning.They were only allowed to go back to their cells before the five hours were up when the power went out.
Five hours twice a week with nothing to keep them warm is just wrong but their only other choice is to stay in a tiny cell 24-7.
The shu inmates are usually very thin after a few years in there due to a very sparce diet and only one pakage a year,$55.00 max. commissary with not much allowed in the way of a quality diet,even in commissary.
They are always very hungry and why they can't have any protection during cold weather I don't understand since they are strip searched,cuffed and shackled when they are walked.They go into individual "dog runs" twice a week if they are on schedule.
This isolation can be for life.My loved one is in shu and his conviction was a non-serious and non-violent crime.He is there his whole bid due to a gang validation.
He is lucky his sentence is not a third strike or he would die in a shu cell.
I pray his health holds out so I can touch him again and he can come home.
There are medical conditions such a giarrdia that can seem like the flu but are not and can be very serious for men under stress and with limited food,nutrition and sun.
Add Hep C. and they can actually die in there:-(
Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Thank you for your responses. I will write the Warden about this today, then follow up with her early next week. I've also been hearing about the small food portions from other SHU's.

LBee - I'm sorry he hasn't received the stationary package you sent. In my experience, mail to the SHU often gets delayed for no reason... even if he is getting your other mail. If I were having that problem, I would start by calling the mailroom and asking about it. My next move would be to write the warden and maybe at the same time, writing the Director of the Division of Adult Institutions (DAI). Both you and your buddy can also use the 602 process to appeal the package not getting to him. You can request to be reimbursed for the cost of the materials if they claim it was lost. Sometimes once you start contacting people, the materials just happen to "show up", but also be aware that as with any other appeal or challenge to "business as usual" in the prison, it might result in retaliation from the guards. Also, I don't know if you've seen this, but the organization I work for has a manual on how to advocate for people in prisons, I find it to be useful. You can access it on our website- I can't post the link here, but its on there under "Publications" then "manuals" its called "Fighting for our Rights: A Toolbox for Family Advocates of California Prisoners"

Sheryl P. - thank you for mentioning the weather. I didn't consider that and will definitely bring up the issue of them being in the rain without raincoats. Do you have an estimate of the date around when he was out there in the rain? Also, do you know anything else about a giardiasis infection there? I looked it up and the symptoms look similar to what the men were describing. Do you know others who are dealing with this? How long? Have they had medical attention?

Last edited by azadeh; 11-06-2012 at 02:20 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azadeh For This Useful Post:
LBee (11-06-2012), Tuesday123 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadeh View Post
Thank you for your responses. I will write the Warden about this today, then follow up with her early next week. I've also been hearing about the small food portions from other SHU's.

LBee - I'm sorry he hasn't received the stationary package you sent. In my experience, mail to the SHU often gets delayed for no reason... even if he is getting your other mail. If I were having that problem, I would start by calling the mailroom and asking about it. My next move would be to write the warden and maybe at the same time, writing the Director of the Division of Adult Institutions (DAI). Both you and your buddy can also use the 602 process to appeal the package not getting to him. You can request to be reimbursed for the cost of the materials if they claim it was lost. Sometimes once you start contacting people, the materials just happen to "show up", but also be aware that as with any other appeal or challenge to "business as usual" in the prison, it might result in retaliation from the guards. Also, I don't know if you've seen this, but the organization I work for has a manual on how to advocate for people in prisons, I find it to be useful. You can access it on our website- I can't post the link here, but its on there under "Publications" then "manuals" its called "Fighting for our Rights: A Toolbox for Family Advocates of California Prisoners"

Sheryl P. - thank you for mentioning the weather. I didn't consider that and will definitely bring up the issue of them being in the rain without raincoats. Do you have an estimate of the date around when he was out there in the rain? Also, do you know anything else about a giardiasis infection there? I looked it up and the symptoms look similar to what the men were describing. Do you know others who are dealing with this? How long? Have they had medical attention?
If the package was over-weight that is probably why he didn't get it.

I think the day the power went out was in the second week of October but don't quote me.I'm sure they know when they lost power

I do not know that the men have giarrdia,just that if some are ill and not getting better then I wouldn't just assume it is the flu.
I had heard that Corcoran had some issues with "Valley fever" and tb, though that was a while back.Of course many men have Hep C.
It could be the poor diet is not helping them recover.
I saw how thin he was and started sending commissary money every month.I was told the portions wouldn't feed a child an adequate amount and are sadly lacking in nutritional value.I worry for the men who don't have somone who can send money every month.

My man didn't say he was sick in his letters from around the second of this month.

Thank you for your concern

At times I feel like the men in shu are forgotten by everyone but those that love them.It is nice to have an advocate

Feel free to p.m. me if you have other questions.

Sheryl

Last edited by Sheryl P.; 11-07-2012 at 12:41 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheryl P. For This Useful Post:
azadeh (11-07-2012), LBee (11-07-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Default Corcoran State SHU/ASU

Can I send the food package now quarterly at Corcoran? I was always told it was only once per year, but I looks like (at least securepak chat person) said it was quarterly. any know, before I send and my son may not receive. Can't find answer to this anywhere. He is in the SHU/ASU at Corcoran.

thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to duncaju For This Useful Post:
Sheryl P. (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Donation Award 

No!
You can not send one every quarter
He can get one package of limited items(for his catagory) and only after he has been in shu for a year.
It sucks since they get fed very poorly in shu but those are the rules.
Make sure the package goes to the shu since if it goes to any other section it will NOT get delivered to him.It took six months to straigtnen out a shipping probelm last year with my man's package going to the subsatnce abuse treatment section by mistake.
He will probably need clothing since he will be freezing,take my word for it!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM

I may have posted this in the wrong forum but a friend in the SHU needs to be notified of the passing of his father. So sad! But the family has told me they have been unable to reach anyone. Does anyone out here have the correct nr to call? The chaplain? Any chaplain?

Also it would be good if more spoke up about the food, that concerns me a lot, apart from the terribleness of no way out of the shu than playing their snitch game.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterLadybird View Post
I may have posted this in the wrong forum but a friend in the SHU needs to be notified of the passing of his father. So sad! But the family has told me they have been unable to reach anyone. Does anyone out here have the correct nr to call? The chaplain? Any chaplain?

Also it would be good if more spoke up about the food, that concerns me a lot, apart from the terribleness of no way out of the shu than playing their snitch game.
I belive you can just call the main prison number and ask to speak to the chaplain.
I'm sorry about the passing of your friends father,my condolences.

The food issue is just one thing they use as a "tool" to break the guys down so that they finally lose their will to fight and just debrief.
It is sad but they want them hungry,cold,weak and isolated so they are willing to "snitch".
Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Joshua's Wife

Hello ladies. My love Just got transferred to the SHU here at Corcoran last week. Since he got sent up to prison I have never put $ on his books I would always give the money to his mom n she would put it on his books..Even-though he's in the SHU I can still put $ on his books right? If so how do I do that? Sorry ladies I'm just kinda new to this. Hopefully one of you ladies can help me out thank you
Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Joshua's Wife

& I am currently looking for a ride, I'm hoping to get up there the 2nd weekend of January. I stay in Long Beach and will pitch in for gas and other expenses.