Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 AM

Default Inmate list for phone calls/visitation: Up to 40 days for approval. Right?

I just have some questions about calling priviledges, and online or anyone I can get to answer the phone doesn't know or says something different every time. Once they arrive at the prison they will be staying at, there is a list of up to 20 people they can put down (I know specific per prison but the# itself doesn't matter for my question) to be able to call and/or visit them.
Regardless of whether listed on that sheet or not, and which privileges requested, we have to go online and fill out the background form, pay the fee and wait up to 40 days to be approved. Right?
Is this really the only way? And my GTL acct is already set up from when he was in county can I just continue using that? He's in Florence West.
So that means...there's no way for him to contact me to let me know where he is (assuming I hadnt found him online) or tell me to fill out the background check, and no way for us to know if they put us on their list or not (meaning did they even want to hear from me) or to let them know we did the check and are just waiting for results.
Am I missing something here? It seems like communication is impossible. Both sides are just essentially on an up to 40 day wait they're not even sure the other one did, or knew to do?
Because I tell you what, if I wouldn't have spent literally days researching online and calling all around, I'd know even less than I do now, and would have not a clue that he can't get to a phone
Aren't they in common areas though? What would stop them from just picking up and dialing out? I'm not at all saying break the rules I'm just trying to understand it all here

*Dear Judge,
I know he might not look like much to you. My only request, is that you tread lightly on our hearts, because to me, he's my whole world...*
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 01:12 AM

If he didn’t put you in his 20s list he will get a notice saying you applied and he will have time to add you or decline you. When my man got to his prison his CO let him call to let me know where he was and all that.
Only communication til then is by mail. So write him with your info if he doesn’t know it by heart.
Only approved numbers can be called. They have a voice ID or something that allows them to use the phone.

Last edited by Ricoluv29; 02-03-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Old 02-03-2019, 04:37 AM

Yea the wait sucks. I’d apply ASAP if I was you because it can take up to 60 days to get approved. First time applying for phone calls it took me 7 weeks to get approved! >
Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,368 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAH14589 View Post
I just have some questions about calling priviledges, and online or anyone I can get to answer the phone doesn't know or says something different every time.

Regardless of whether listed on that sheet or not, and which privileges requested, we have to go online and fill out the background form, pay the fee and wait up to 40 days to be approved. Right?

Is this really the only way? And my GTL acct is already set up from when he was in county can I just continue using that?
So that means...there's no way for him to contact me to let me know where he is (assuming I hadnt found him online) or tell me to fill out the background check, and no way for us to know if they put us on their list or not (meaning did they even want to hear from me) or to let them know we did the check and are just waiting for results.
Am I missing something here? It seems like communication is impossible. Both sides are just essentially on an up to 40 day wait they're not even sure the other one did, or knew to do?
Aren't they in common areas though? What would stop them from just picking up and dialing out? I'm not at all saying break the rules I'm just trying to understand it all here
The system expects us to educate ourselves on their rules. The first step is the AZ DOC website, which it appears you have found, and use the inmate search function to keep track of where your LO is located. It is usually updated within 2 working days.

Yes, the only method to have live contact (telephone or in-person) is to apply, pay the background check fee (no fee but an application is required for children) and wait.

The other method of communication is the mail. The first few months, write letters to update each other. I wrote my son at least once a week. Others write their LOs daily.

For phones, AZ state prisons, including the privately operated prisons, are currently contracted with ICSolutions. I am unsure what GTL is, but once you are set up with ICSolutions you can put money on his account that he can use to call anyone on his list or an account that only allows him to call you.

As someone mentioned, they can't just pick up the phone and dial out. A voiceprint is required. Considering the penalties, neither of you want to use the other methods that he may find are available in prisons.

Through 3 different vendors you can put money on his books so that he can purchase things like postage and paper to write to you. Money on his books, he can use for anything at the commissary, to include a phone "card". Also, keep in mind that the state will take any percentages set up in his sentencing to apply to his fines and court costs, so he does not get the complete dollar value of what you give him. The fees vary, depending on the method of payment and the amount, so compare them. I have accounts for 2 of the 3.

It sounds like you have done your research. We are all frustrated by the system, but that is what we have to work with. I think the delay in being able to contact them is intentional to allow them time to adjust to being in prison and the rules before seeing family and friends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
AAH14589 (02-03-2019), KiwiPP (02-03-2019), patchouli (02-03-2019)