Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 AM

Default Package-Kingman

My nephew is at Kingman. He sent me letter saying that for $80 this month, he can order a new pillow,blanket,sheets,towels,etc. Has anyone heard this?
He said they only do it every 3 months or so.
Also he wants a TV and said it cost $200.
I am trying to be supportive while he is there, sending money when I can, sending cards and letters, etc. But I am starting to feel like his letters to me are always about money.
He has just started his 3 1/2 yr sentence (3 months in). I have never had anyone in prison so I am still learning. Also, I applied for phone calls at the beginning of December and still have not heard anything.
Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntinmo View Post
My nephew is at Kingman. He sent me letter saying that for $80 this month, he can order a new pillow,blanket,sheets,towels,etc. Has anyone heard this?
He said they only do it every 3 months or so.
Also he wants a TV and said it cost $200.
I am trying to be supportive while he is there, sending money when I can, sending cards and letters, etc. But I am starting to feel like his letters to me are always about money.
He has just started his 3 1/2 yr sentence (3 months in). I have never had anyone in prison so I am still learning. Also, I applied for phone calls at the beginning of December and still have not heard anything.
Thanks for any advice!
Yes, certain times of the year they can get some of those things. They usually do need a blanket and a decent towel. He will also need to get sneakers if he hasn't already.

TV price is correct. He can get it anytime and he will also need headphones for it. Legally, he has to buy it from the commissary. In reality, most of the prisons have what they refer to as "yard" tvs. These are ones that are left there because inmates are released or owe money to someone or various other reasons. Depending on the surplus, they can buy it from the "inmate store" (which is in each dorm, on every yard, but also against the rules), for $25 to $50. If they are moved or if the guards get upset with them when they do their quarterly searches, it will be confiscated because it is not officially on their list of purchased items.

After my son got the initial items he needed, I instituted a rule of tell me in advance and tell me how much if you really need something (like supplies because he was taking college classes). But, aside from special needs, don't ask me for money. I send $100 per month and it was up to him to budget it wisely. I was paying for phone calls through the vendor (currently ICSolutions) so that he could only call me. His sister and I alternated every 2 months in sending a securepak (so we each sent 3 a year) where we maxed out on hygiene items (limits of 2 on toothpaste, soap, etc.) and then used the balance to get him extra food - coffee and anything with protein (prison food is high on the carbs and low on protein, no real meat, it's tofu).

The jobs in prison pay very little and they withhold money for their "gate" fee, fines, court costs, any medical or dental appointments, and $2 a month for electric. Basically, he was getting $20 to $40 per month out of his fulltime job. Keep in mind that any money you send they will also withhold from so he won't get the full $80. How much depends on what their sentencing order provided for (my son was at 20%, but it could be up to 50%).

Setting all that aside, if drugs or gambling are a problem, you need to balance out what you do with the fact that they can buy drugs and gambling is big in prison. They can also trade the securepak items towards their debt for those things.

60 days is average for approval on visitation/phone. He should be notified that you are approved and it is up to him to let you know. But, you can call the visitation number and if you get a live person ask them if they could tell you the status of your application. If you haven't done so, make sure your phone account is set up. (Presumably your nephew put you and your number on his list.)

There is a facebook group that is specific to Kingman and you can get a lot of helpful information there and connect with people who have been there a while. Nice people with someone always willing to answer questions and share what they know. (Arizona State Prison Complex-Kingman Support Group)
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
auntinmo (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Thank you so much for the information. Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed trying to figure this all out. I am in Missouri so visits are out of the question for now but I am trying to make do with sending letters.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM

From what I've read in here, $200-$300 is a good amount to send in the very beginning to get all the stuff they need and then after ive seen the monthly amount from $40-$80 a month, just depends on the person and what they can send and how their LO spends their money
The Following User Says Thank You to jordan321 For This Useful Post:
auntinmo (02-07-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
From what I've read in here, $200-$300 is a good amount to send in the very beginning to get all the stuff they need and then after ive seen the monthly amount from $40-$80 a month, just depends on the person and what they can send and how their LO spends their money
I used to send $60 a month, 5 years ago, but then when I saw how much was being taken out for things and the cost of stuff constantly going up over the past year, I increased it. When he has a job, I don't send a securepak, or I give him the option of a securepak and less money. The securepak he can get better quality hygiene items.