Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM

Default Compassionate Release

Hi everyone!
My lawyer has suggested that I write a letter to the warden where my LO is incarcerated requesting a compassionate release. It may be a long shot but it is worth a try-his health has deteriorated rapidly ever since he has been serving his relatively short sentence (four years). So can anyone give me any examples of what to write? All answers welcome! (please respond ASAP because the lawyer wants to have the letter by this coming Friday-thank you!)
The Following User Says Thank You to babeinthewoods For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

give it to the lawyer when you're done writing it. Don't be offended if the lawyer asks you to change it up a bit. If you're unsure of content, go ahead and contact the lawyer about it.

Basically, you'll want to state your name, your relationship to the inmate, and how long you've known the inmate. You'll want to state what you know about the inmate's condition, and the supports he needs as he navigates his illness/disease. You need to comment on the supports you're willing to provide him - housing, getting to doctors offices, cooking - whatever it is you're going to do to help him.

If this is a, "he's going to die" sort of thing, you'll want to stress your relationship and the relationships of other loved ones, and how important it is to have him available to those people for the purposes of good bye, emphasizing how important it is for the people on the outside to have that sort of access.

If not a "he's going to die" sort of thing, you're going to want to do something similar - talking about how you need to have the opportunity to care for him, repair relationships, and how caring for and supporting the individual will help those who are supporting that individual, not just the inmate - emphasize the reciprocity of home care.

you can mention what he's in for and how long, but don't argue the case. Accept that he's been found culpable, but that a short sentence should not mean depriving his family members from caring for somebody at the end of his/her life, or whatever the circumstance might be.

Make sure to note that you're financially capable of the level of care that he needs as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
babeinthewoods (09-24-2014), frostwoman1954 (09-24-2014), lin787 (07-30-2015), xolady (10-12-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Thank you so much for your reply and your concrete suggestions! Will give them a try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babeinthewoods For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-24-2014), lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Could You Elaborate?

"emphasize the reciprocity of home care."
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on what you mean? I get a vague idea, but I'd feel better if it were explained to me so that I could know what to write in the letter. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to babeinthewoods For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babeinthewoods View Post
"emphasize the reciprocity of home care."
If you don't mind, could you elaborate on what you mean? I get a vague idea, but I'd feel better if it were explained to me so that I could know what to write in the letter. Thank you!
that it's more for the family than it is for the defendant, and everything the family gets out of taking care of an ailing LO
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,289 Posts

IF it is a compassionate release, would you go through the "home inspection" like regular parole? Are the home rules likes regular type of parole release?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-12-2014), lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:00 PM
tired

Thanked 14,167 Times in 3,687 Posts

When I begged for a compassionate release for my son I hired an attorney. I had to prove my residency, my income, the goals I hoped to achieve bring him out whether it be hospice or chemo and radiation. It was a federal request so when I was shown everything that was documented it started with the request, a letter begging form me with what my intentions were, it had the doctors diagnoses attached explaining his life expectancy, it explained proceedures that could be done, it showed I had bought medical insurance on him and covering him his whole life (they liked that, it relieved the state and federal from any money loss). They took into consideration his crime--whether it was violent and how many years he had served on it-they looked at his behavior threw the years and he almost didn't get to come because of the fights, loaning money, and other dirty deeds he did threw the years. All in all it cost me a LOT of money to meet him at the gates app 6 weeks later but we did it, I brought him home and he lived out the rest of his life with me.
You know, or maybe you don't, but compassionate releases are asked for every day and sometimes they don't hurrry or the paperwork gets lost ...never give up. If you don't hear something then try something else. As bitter as I am about my son being diagnosed so late (to late for the treatment to give him more time) for treatments I am thankful and even tho somedays I bitch about being broke I don't regret cashing in a lot of my assets to bring him out. The system took everything from me, in the end they killed my son but they can never take his death from me. It was private, it was at home and he was free. bb
fbopnomore (10-14-2014), jadah (10-14-2014), LifeTraveler (10-13-2014), Luvs__iridescent (10-13-2014), marie8899 (11-01-2014), ollienkcc (10-14-2014), SaderGirl (10-14-2014), Sammy's Girl (10-13-2014), Stevensgirl36 (05-29-2016), xolady (11-19-2014), Zunigene (10-22-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 PM

Maythe Lord Bless and comfort you bumblebee37.
bumblebee37 (11-13-2014), lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 PM
ruler of my own universe

Has anyone ever had the prison call you and tell you that they are recommending that he be paroled because his care is costing too much?
The Following User Says Thank You to merelyme For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM

I have no experience in this realm and just wanted to offer support . I just recently saw the movie "The Judge" with Robert Downey Jr. (great movie) where his father was given a Compassionate Release in the state of Indiana. It is definitely worth looking into...Indiana is pretty old school and strict from what I know of Indiana. Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to tinabeana4321 For This Useful Post:
lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 03:36 AM

Location: dad died at Minersville, Son is in Mountainview Youth Facility, NJ

My 83 year old non violent offender father was told he was costing the BOP too much money and the asst. warden approached him to file a CR. he was really excited until it was denied by his warden. I have no idea why they did that to him but it vcrushed him. As 2014 CR program statement clearly included non medical reasons he was sought out again and this time the warden did approve it. He then had another heart attack which cost the tax payers $300,000 dollars but I guess within budget as DC used reasons from the old statement and new statement and gave a convoluted reason for rejection. Then came heart attack 2, after 11 days in ICU he went to a rehab facility not fit for animals. He never went back it prison. He remained there until he developed pnumonia and his leg was so swollen and purple from diabetes and conjestive heart failure. He needed a hospital but at this point the rehab refused to send him as they were told the BOP was preparing the paperwork to be approved for a CR. I watched him dying for weeks. The day the approval was signed I took him to a good hospital where he was admitted to ICU. They tried vallently to save him. On day 4 I took him home on hospice care where he died less than 48 hours later.The BOP has now remedied this situation by not telling the inmates of any serious life threatening problems they may have been told the inmate is suffering from by their medical staff. As long as it is kept between medical and thre prison and the inmate and their familes are unaware of the illness than noone pesters the prison for medical care. by the time it is obvious to the inmate's family that he/she is seriously ill has no time is left for filing a CR as it takes time to be approved. Doing this the BOP saves money on healthcare, keeps their incarceration rates up and doesn't have to deal with approving/denying CR and medical care. Itworks for them as they continue to put out new Program Statements about the expansion of CR which are nothing more than propoganda and our loved ones die and it doesn't matter to anyone except the shocked surviving family members. It is a DISGRACE!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panament For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (07-24-2015), pinktazo (07-07-2016), xolady (08-20-2017)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,496 Times in 11,921 Posts

I'm sorry for the additional suffering that your Dad, and your family, were subjected to by the bop. The articles I've read about the new, improved compassionate release policy shows that it is mostly ignored by the bop anyway.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:54 AM

All of this terrifies me. My dad is serving only four months for an aggravated DUI charge from over 7 years ago. He is diabetic and I recently received a letter from him pleading I get ahold of someone to help him in there. They are not giving him the care he requires for his illness. He's lost sight in one of his eyes, completely. He can barely walk, and was given the wrong medication because he was mistaken for another inmate. He's had two strokes and collapsed once after the wrong medication was administered to him. His requests to see a medic have all gone ignored. I've called the attorney's office here and they say his case with the county is closed and they can't help. All I can do from here is contact the prison and I'm sure they're going to be about as helpful as they were last time I called them. I have no idea what to do. I'm so afraid for him and I want to see him come home. I hate that he is being treated like this and I can't do anything. I feel so hopeless. He just needs to make it two more months but I'm really afraid that might be too long for him. If anyone has any advice on who I should contact or what I should do, please help. I want to see my daddy come home.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm unfamiliar with the AZ prison system, but be sure to check the AZ prison forums to meet other members who know how their medical office works.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Are his requests to see the prison's medical staff being made in writing, while retaining a copy for himself/you? In many systems, if it isn't in writing it never happened.

Also, is he able to sign up for sick call, every day until he is seen? That may leave a paper trail, which might alert the prison to their possible future liability for ignoring his medical condition.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 AM
Corrupt Prison Augusta St

Default Augusta State Medical Prison-Corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by babeinthewoods View Post
Hi everyone!
My lawyer has suggested that I write a letter to the warden where my LO is incarcerated requesting a compassionate release. It may be a long shot but it is worth a try-his health has deteriorated rapidly ever since he has been serving his relatively short sentence (four years). So can anyone give me any examples of what to write? All answers welcome! (please respond ASAP because the lawyer wants to have the letter by this coming Friday-thank you!)
I contacted the pardon and parole board trying to get my son out of Augusta State Medical Prison- Augusta, GA. and they told me that they wouldn't let my son out unless he was going to die in 12 months. Well 4 months after they denied him he died. The prison had already said that he was going to die and that was written in March but they didn't tell me. He had cancer and couldn't even hardly walk and they still denied him. They are so heartless and cruel. They treated him so bad. They made him walk in shackles when he couldn't hardly walk and he fell and hurt his-self but they didn't care. He was taking treatments for the cancer and it burned his mouth and all they gave him for lunch was a bologna sandwich and he couldn't eat it because it burned his mouth. So, basically they starved him to death. I hope you have better luck than I did. Dot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miskitty123 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-30-2015), jadah (12-12-2015), lin787 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm unfamiliar with the AZ prison system, but be sure to check the AZ prison forums to meet other members who know how their medical office works.]

Are his requests to see the prison's medical staff being made in writing, while retaining a copy for himself/you? In many systems, if it isn't in writing it never happened.

Also, is he able to sign up for sick call, every day until he is seen? That may leave a paper trail, which might alert the prison to their possible future liability for ignoring his medical condition.
He says three inmates have died in there recently. His letter states he has "80-100 pages of documentation since day 1. Dates, times, appointments" his handwriting is kind of difficult to read but he said something about HNR? I'm not familiar with any of this, what is sick call? Should I even bother contacting the prison? I feel like they wouldn't be very helpful. He said he was convulsing after he collapsed and they seemed like they didn't know what to do.

Thank you so much for your response. I will look at the link provided and share my concern there as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shelbsterina For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Sick call is usually available to inmates who are ill, often every day. They sign up (depending on the prison and their rules) and are at least triaged by someone on the medical staff that same day. It can lead to actual treatment, or getting sent back to their cell, so it doesn't mean that going on SC will automatically improve their medical care.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:31 PM

You should call and raise hell. Let them know that if anything happens to him you have the means to hire an attorney for a lawsuit. 4 mo ths is a very short sentence to let someone die over.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:41 PM

CR is only for the inmate? not for family member needing him home?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It depends on the actual prison system's rules for compassionate release, including what factors have to be present for it to be considered. Inmate only, family ?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Default Compassionate Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin787 View Post
CR is only for the inmate? not for family member needing him home?
My CR is for his dad and I. We need him home to help US. We are both disabled and elderly and no one to take care of us. He has a Parole date of Jan,2016. He is willing to wear an ankle bracelet or whatever it takes. I heard I had to write the Warden..hs P.O. and even the Gov. IS this true??
Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's a recent paper (May 2015) from betheevidence.org that explains the compassionate release laws for all the state prison systems that have them. There is much information about the entire process.

http://www.betheevidence.org/pdfs/Co...port-FINAL.pdf
Old 05-29-2016, 07:05 PM

this is all so terrifying.. my BF has cirrhosis and an 8 yr sentence. i don't really anticipate him making it through his sentence, but i do hope he atleast gets the care he needs to not suffer to badly. but, that is appearing not to be the case.