Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Have anyone ever got married at a federal prison?

My fiance is at fort dix federal prison. We want to get married maybe later this year. If whats the process and how long does it take?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

First, congrats to the both of you
We were married at a max security facility, so here's what we went through:
1. Letter to the chaplin/counselor from you. Keep it simple, explaining your relationship and why you want to marry him.
2. Marriage package. He receives this from the counselor/chaplin.
3. *the waiting game* exactly what it is-you have to wait for your man to contact you-or if you have the number to the facility, you can ask to speak with his counselor.
4. *if approved* the reception of the available dates. Ceremonies are about four performed a year. February, ..., August and November. Sorry,I forgot the other month performed. You guys choose the month-the facility chooses the DAY.
5. Day of ceremony, you must go to the Clerk of Courts for that county to show ID and sign off on your marriage license.
*it costs us $50-for the Clerk to marry us at the facility, but that was THEN, back in 2008*
6. The counselor will give you a run down of all who can attend. At this time, ask about what can be worn. We couldn't even have a hair flower! *serious*
7. This should have been the first thing I mentioned-IT'S YOUR MAN'S RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM THE CHAPLIN/COUNSELOR ABOUT PLANS FOR MARRIAGE-permission or something like that.

Please keep me posted...and it's all alright and dont be nervous. Everything's pretty simple...smile!
-Delphine
Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Thank you . I am super excited. I still cant believe I am giving up my dream wedding for a prison wedding. but hey love is about sacrifice and working together. right.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Donation Award 

You have to get the license in the county where the prison is. I had to go downtown and get the license, go to the prison and get my husband's signature and also have it notarized, then take the paperwork back downtown. I believe thats how it went. Some people take a notary with them or you have to arrange with the counselor to make sure a notary will be on duty the day that you come. There may be differences dependent upon the facility. I was married in a camp.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Loving HIM for life ...

Congratulations Bubbawife ... We were married on February 27, 2010 at Coleman Federal Medium Facility. And what LamontLover stated is pretty much correct, although there were a few differences.

The initial step to get the process started will have to be initiated by your fiancé, with him speaking with his counselor/case manager and the Chaplin about his intent to marry. For us there was no marriage package to complete, but I did have to send in my letter of intent to marry, with copies of my driver’s license and both our birth certificates (which I had to order from his birth state). The letter included both our names his Reg #, and basically stated that I am of legal age to marry, mentally competent, and aware that any and all cost were our responsibility not the facility or the FBOP.

After that the waiting time for us was about a month. I mailed all the required documents around the end of October and received the phone call back from his counselor mid December letting me know we were approved. We were not given a choice of dates she simply said the lady that performs the ceremony will be there on 2-27-2010. I received the letter shortly after the new year (I am sure the holiday had something to do with the delay), which included the date & time of the ceremony, the cost ($160.00). It also stated the things that needed to be brought in the day of, and that only three people could attend which included the bride and groom **crazy**. It is your responsibility to obtain the marriage license (which I was able to do through the mail with Brevard county **extremely nice & helpful** cost $92.50) from a county in the STATE where the marriage will occur. From my understanding it does NOT have to be from the same county as the facility (which will make it almost impossible) … Make sure you have someone there at the ceremony to be your witness (a counselor/case manager will be there also). I was able to bring in a wedding band (without stones and supposedly with a value under $100.00 I was able to find a really beautiful Titanium band from eBay).

Also I believe the missing month is May … (February, May, August, and November) that the ceremonies are performed. Also if the county is similar to the county I got my marriage license you will need to get both his and your signatures notarized (I had a mobile notary come to the prison to notarize his signature (cost $45.00 plus $5.00 for western union fee) and there was a affidavit that we both needed to sign and have notarized because we were getting the license through the mail. I sent the forms to him first to have his signatures notarized first then he mailed them back to me. Hopefully you will not encounter this but getting my signatures notarized was a little more work than getting his … because for some reason some people chooses not to notarize anything to do with a marriage or marriage license even though it was made clear they were ONLY notarizing the application to marry (it’s not technically a marriage license until the clerk stamps and type in the issuing date and the valid through dates). Be sure to take the license to the ceremony with you the date of the wedding because the person performing the wedding has to sign and notarize it along with the witnesses (one would be the on duty FBOP employee and your witness). Then be sure that you return the completed marriage license back to the clerk’s office to be recorded within the allotted amount of days given (mine was 10 days).

I know I included a lot of information but hopefully it helps you or someone else in some way to make the process a little smoother. I pray you and your husband to be many blessings and that the process proceed smoothly for both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamontLover View Post
1. Letter to the chaplin/counselor from you. Keep it simple, explaining your relationship and why you want to marry him.
3. *the waiting game* exactly what it is-you have to wait for your man to contact you-or if you have the number to the facility, you can ask to speak with his counselor.
4. *if approved* the reception of the available dates. Ceremonies are about four performed a year. February, ..., August and November. Sorry,I forgot the other month performed. You guys choose the month-the facility chooses the DAY.
5. Day of ceremony, you must go to the Clerk of Courts for that county to show ID and sign off on your marriage license.
*it costs us $50-for the Clerk to marry us at the facility, but that was THEN, back in 2008*
6. The counselor will give you a run down of all who can attend. At this time, ask about what can be worn. We couldn't even have a hair flower! *serious*
7. This should have been the first thing I mentioned-IT'S YOUR MAN'S RESPONSIBILITY TO INFORM THE CHAPLIN/COUNSELOR ABOUT PLANS FOR MARRIAGE-permission or something like that.

Please keep me posted...and it's all alright and dont be nervous. Everything's pretty simple...smile!
-Delphine

Last edited by prodicaldaugter; 09-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Spell Check Pls ...
Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Talking

Aloha, my husband and I were married at USP Atwater. everything you listed is the same process I had to go through. We actually got to pick our date there was no month they held them, but then again it could be because I was coming from Hawaii to California. We had to have an Affidavit signed by him and notarized which actually took a long time. they don't just let anyone in to have the Notary, had to have the Affidavit in order for the Chaplin to pick up the marriage license. He was able to have 2 of his boys from in there and i could have up to 3 people there. No flowers and his ring needed to be under 100.00. The waiting is the longest Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamontLover View Post

-Delphine
Old 09-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Talking Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbawife2010 View Post
my fiance is at fort dix federal prison. We want to get married maybe later this year. If whats the process and how long does it take?

not yet, but i will be in december 2010, im so happy!! :d
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM

I FEEL YOU, im just happy im marrying the man i absolutely love, even if its in prison
Old 02-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Seriously?

A woman who rides up to Fort Dix with me on occasion told me that her fiance told her that he had to put their names on a list at the chapel and that they had to wait until the name came up to get married.

I'm going to let her read the information on this page.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,339 Posts

Hi Nikki, Welcome to PTO. These messages are 8 years old and may not be current. You might try a search to see if there is anything more current.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-12-2018), xolady (02-12-2018)