Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Account Suspended

Default Questions about phones

I know that they are installing phones, and I was wondering if anyone knows if an inmate can call to a cellphone? my fiance is about to get phones installed at his unit but says he is not sure if he can call to a cellphone. I only have a cellphone, no landline. I know other gals who gets calls from their men on their cells, but they are locked up in other states. If anyone has any info please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 PM

In a recent newsletter here in Texas, it states that the calls that our love ones are going to be able to make have to be to land lines and not cell phones. We either have to be able to recieve collect calls or we have to pay for pre-paid calls. Who are loved ones call have to be on an approved list, and they are allowed 15 minute phone calls for a total of 120 minutes per month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmigic For This Useful Post:
mrsmorelock827 (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
waiting for him
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,266 Posts

Now we just need to know when the phones are going to get installed. lol. Thanks so much for the info!!!

[/url]

May God Bless you and yours!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,620 Times in 641 Posts

If you have a land line that you can forward to a cell phone that will work. That is what we did when hubby was in county. I would forward the house phone to my cell, and then I was always able to catch his calls.

Just a suggestion.

Karen

Old 12-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Account Suspended

Can they call out of state? or just within texas?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Banned

Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,765 Posts

according to the news article I read online, they can call out of state, it's more per minute. But not to cell phones, which, I think is absolutely ridiculous. I have a land line, but depending on whether or not the cable company has an agreement with the company putting in the phone service, I may have to switch to a hard landline from Southwestern Bell. And of course, with their great, reliable service, who knows if I'll ever get a call. That's why I have a cellphone- I don't like landlines, and I'm not really home much between work, school, volunteering.
God, give me back the days where it cost me 18.75 for 15 minutes from the County. At least I could talk to him - on my CELL PHONE!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
according to the news article I read online, they can call out of state, it's more per minute. But not to cell phones, which, I think is absolutely ridiculous. I have a land line, but depending on whether or not the cable company has an agreement with the company putting in the phone service, I may have to switch to a hard landline from Southwestern Bell. And of course, with their great, reliable service, who knows if I'll ever get a call. That's why I have a cell phone- I don't like landlines, and I'm not really home much between work, school, volunteering.
God, give me back the days where it cost me 18.75 for 15 minutes from the County. At least I could talk to him - on my CELL PHONE!!!
Daywalker, I also have phone service through a cable company.
I have free, unlimited long distance, but can't receive collect calls.
So I got ATT for long distance service also, now I can receive collect calls. The only charges on ATT's bill are the calls I receive from my son. Just an Idea.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

I would take it with a grain of salt that calls to cell phones well not be possible and simply see what turns out to be the truth.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,541 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiJC View Post
I know that they are installing phones, and I was wondering if anyone knows if an inmate can call to a cellphone? my fiance is about to get phones installed at his unit but says he is not sure if he can call to a cellphone. I only have a cellphone, no landline. I know other gals who gets calls from their men on their cells, but they are locked up in other states. If anyone has any info please let me know. Thanks!
Just to clarify, they are not installing any phones at this point. The contract has not been signed yet. Calls to cell phone are not supposed to be allowed but it's left to be seen if they will change that or not.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Banned

You can get a home phone and just forward all your calls to the cell phone.
OR, just tell him you'll get home from work at whatever time and tell him to call after that time.
Does anyone know when the pay phones will actually be installed in the units ?
And are the callls going to be like it is in the County Jails (collect call for 15 minutes for over $5 ???) Just curious !!!

I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday Season !
Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Texas Member
Donation Award 

When hubby was in Dallas county, we set up an acount through whatever phone company handled them. If we had a pre-paid account, I could revceive calls on my cell phone. It will be interesting to see how it actually works.

"But seek first His kingdom and his rightiousness, and all these things will be given unto you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry abut itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34
Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Loving and Longing

I have both home and cell and I have received calls from my husband on both. He has both of my numbers listed in his records. They alway try the house first if no one answers there then they try my cell. It does cost more to take the call on your cell than a land line.

Does anyone know when this new phone system is supposed to be up and running? Also, someone mentioned 15 min calls for up to 120 mins a month... Do you know if that "time" applies to guys in Seg? Or are they still stuck out with that measly 5 mins every 3 months? I live in AZ and it would be AMAZING to be able to talk to him more since visiting is really expensive.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
LISAJEFF

State's portion of revenue goes to General Revenue, crime fund

The Texas Board of Criminal Justice has approved a program that would allow more than 100,000 Texas prison inmates regular access to a pay telephone.
Agency officials note they will draw up proposals for bids as early as next week seeking a vendor to install and manage the inmate phones in the nation's second-largest corrections system.
Michelle Lyons, spokesperson for the TDCJ, said the enabling legislation for the program specified installing one pay phone for every 30 eligible inmates. The prison system currently houses about 155,000 offenders, and Lyons estimates about 120,000 will eligible to use the service.

"We will be installing about 4,000 phones throughout our system," she said. "They will be placed in public areas and all calls will be monitored. Prisoners will be allowed to make up to 120 minutes worth of calls each month, with a limit of 15 minutes per call. Currently, inmates only get one five-minute call each every 90 days."
She said inmates will be able to either call collect or use a prepaid calling card. Calls would be allowed only within the continental U.S. and could be made only to land lines, not cell phones. Phones will not be installed in prisoners' cells.
This article says no cells, but forward is always an option as stated earlier. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to lisajeff For This Useful Post:
grmnclt_gurl (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM

We have been told that the phones are to be installed on the Wayne Scott unit in june or july next year.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Please be aware that we do NOT advise anyone to try "going around" the cell phone restriction as it is currently AGAINST the phone policy that is in effect. If you choose to do so and are caught, your phone privileges WILL be terminated.

Seg inmates will not be allowed any calls on the new phone system.

Thanks for the info about Wynne. As of now, the contract is still not signed. I'm still crossing my fingers and toes though!

Last edited by ReggiesLady; 12-23-2008 at 03:33 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
britecloud (12-23-2008), mrsmorelock827 (12-24-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 11:14 AM

So i will not get a phone call due to living in the UK!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:15 AM
Loving and Longing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggiesLady View Post
Please be aware that we do NOT advise anyone to try "going around" the cell phone restriction as it is currently AGAINST the phone policy that is in effect. If you choose to do so and are caught, your phone privileges WILL be terminated.

Seg inmates will not be allowed any calls on the new phone system.

Thanks for the info about Wynne. As of now, the contract is still not signed. I'm still crossing my fingers and toes though!
??? Currently Seg inmates get a phone call every 3 months... Are you saying that they will NO LONGER get ANY phone calls or will that just stay the same? That gives me extreme anxiety. I live in AZ and I LIVE for my husband's phone calls since I can not afford to visit very often. If anyone knows, Please let me know.

Last edited by grmnclt_gurl; 12-27-2008 at 04:19 AM..
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Account Suspended

no no, they are installing phones so that they can call. my man also gets that 1 phone call every 3 months, but they are installing phones so they can call a few times a month. don't stress girl. this is good news
Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiJC View Post
no no, they are installing phones so that they can call. my man also gets that 1 phone call every 3 months, but they are installing phones so they can call a few times a month. don't stress girl. this is good news

Just to clarify, the poster above you is referring to SEG inmates. They will NOT be allowed to take advantage of the new system when it goes into effect. As for whether they will get the 5 minute phone calls? Well, it's left to be seen but I, personally, wouldn't count on it since they will be excluded from the new system for security risk reasons.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:44 AM

We have been told as of now the new phone system will not allow for calls outside of the United States.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
waiting for him
Donation Award 

Do you rvlm know when the phones will be installed? Or has anyone heard anything new? They should tell us something lol.

[/url]

Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 PM

We were told that the new phones would be installed on the Wayne Scott unit in june or july of 09. They are suppose to install one phone for every 30 offenders minimum.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:35 PM
waiting for him
Donation Award 

Oh by then Chris will be out... dang it lol But good for everyone else!!!

[/url]

Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM

I was told by my husband, that you must have a land line with, get this, no special features, like: call forwarding. Also, you can not have a digital line. You know the ones you get from Comcast, Vonage, etc. when you sign up for their bundles.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Missing My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmigic View Post
I was told by my husband, that you must have a land line with, get this, no special features, like: call forwarding. Also, you can not have a digital line. You know the ones you get from Comcast, Vonage, etc. when you sign up for their bundles.
I am not understanding why they would have all these new rules come in to play when they aren't currently in effect NOW. I mean even with the 5 minute calls Alonzo's Mom gets now she has all the special features on a Comcast system. Oh well, I guess we will see what we see...Marcia