Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:21 PM

Default Ex-husband died, what happens now?

My ex-husband passed away at Calhoun unexpectedly over the weekend, and my daughter & I have so many unanswered questions. I thought this might be a good place to ask for help. Of course, we are already dealing with prison officials as well, but that's been a slow going process.
We have never lost anyone in this situation before. Does the prison system always do an autopsy? Who does the autopsy - is it done at the prison or outside?
They told us they watched a video and believed this to me drug (k2) related. I believe that could be the case but I would feel differently about this if it were verified by an actual inmate (or someone who heard it from their inmate).
When this happens, what is the typical timeframe for releasing the body?
I really appreciate any insight anyone could offer.
oh, also, how is the COIVID situation at this institution?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2020, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,459 Times in 3,676 Posts

Celena4412, I moved your post into the general forum so more people would see it. This is more of a "how does this work in Florida" question than a prison specific question.

I can't say how Florida works, especially since Florida has a mix of state and private prisons. Here's how it worked in Oregon when my Dad died (lung cancer, it was expected):

1. As soon as an inmate is found dead (or seen to die), the entire area is cordoned off as a crime scene (yes, even for my Dad, even though it was expected).

2. The state police and a forensics group come do a crime scene investigation.

3. The county coroner takes possession of the body. At this time, based on what the state police find, an autopsy may or may not be performed (in my Dad's case, since he was dying of lung cancer, there was no autopsy - in your ex's case, they most likely at least did a blood/drug screening at minimum).

All of the above is public record, and if you're determined enough, you can get copies of all of it - the police/crime scene investigation, the DOC investigation (they'll do one independently of the police), the coroner's report with cause of death listed, a copy of the death certificate, a copy of the autopsy report if any)

4. The coroner releases the body to a contracted mortuary. The family then has the option of moving the body to a different mortuary or using the contracted mortuary.

I'm not sure how upsetting this is to you. It sounds like it wouldn't be surprising to you if it was a drug overdose. But... if you're looking for support, we have a forum just for people who've lost someone while they were incarcerated here: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...lay.php?f=1035.

Again, what I wrote above only applies to the state of Oregon, but it might give you a place to start looking. The public records won't be available to anyone until after the coroner releases the body and has a death certificate completed.

Also, if you're registered on VINES, VINES will send you notification that he's been "released". Typically, a VINES notification says "released to [other prison, county name, location etc]. If it's a death, the recording simply says "has been released."

We're here for you in whatever way we can be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
icj357 (06-03-2020), patchouli (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:16 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,894 Times in 13,714 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for your loss.

Calhoun State Prison in Georgia?
http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/Faciliti...n-state-prison

Or Calhoun Correctional Institution in Florida?
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/mortality/105.html

You can determine if an autopsy was performed by contacting the local Coroner's office and/or the State's department of corrections. .
Old 06-02-2020, 11:45 AM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,110 Times in 17,121 Posts

Celena4412, please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your ex, your daughter's father. I'm sorry for your loss

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
GingerM (06-03-2020), icj357 (06-03-2020)