Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Exclamation Son convicted of Felony. RSAT-Questions

Our Son has an addiction problem. He was arrested in 2011 for possession of Rx drugs. He was admitted into Drug Court in Fayette County, GA. After a few violations and short County Jail stays; he ran and stayed gone for 8 months. He was using out there and every time he contacted me I tried to get him to turn himself in. He finally came home last week. He went before the judge and despite all the promises we were made by the Drug Court & Public Defenders Office; The Judge terminated his Drug Court; Sentenced him to 5 years felony probation. He is now sitting in Fayette County Jail waiting for a bed at a RSAT facility. When he finishes that; he will still have to complete 2 year Drug Court Program as part of his Felony Probation and... The Judge refused to expunge his Felony when he finishes all this. No one will talk to me. His Public Defender told him he may be able to avoid the RSAT program if we (his parents) put him in a private facility (like MARR for example) but no one will tell me if that's true or how to go about picking a place. We are not wealthy so money is a concern. This is his first offense. No Violent crimes ever. He is a junkie. That is his crime! I know he needs treatment but really scared where he will go and when. Some say he must go to Jackson Prison first before RSAT. Is that true? I have heard that Jackson is really violent now. I have so many questions. Can this be appealed even though he has already pleaded guilty? Can I actually put him in a private facility? If so; how? Which one? How about the felony expungement? Any hope of getting that reversed? Not even sure how this Blog / Forum works but I am trying everything. I keep calling the Public Defenders office for some info but no one returns my calls or emails!!! What can I do? I feel timing is important here! If something can be done I think it needs to happen fast! Anyone... HELP ME UNDERSTAND! Our son is 22. He has already wasted so many years to drugs. Now he will get into the "big boy" prison system and I am very afraid! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm so sorry about your son. The GA justice system is very frustrating. First, was your son given a prison sentence or just felony probation? If the above are just conditions of his probation he won't go to Jackson. The wait for a bed for RSAT I think varies a lot. Have you tried contacting the prosecutor's office? They can at least tell you all the conditions of his probation and any alternatives to RSAT. i hope this helps and good luck to you and your son.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedDad View Post
Our Son has an addiction problem. He was arrested in 2011 for possession of Rx drugs. He was admitted into Drug Court in Fayette County, GA. After a few violations and short County Jail stays; he ran and stayed gone for 8 months. He was using out there and every time he contacted me I tried to get him to turn himself in. He finally came home last week. He went before the judge and despite all the promises we were made by the Drug Court & Public Defenders Office; The Judge terminated his Drug Court; Sentenced him to 5 years felony probation. He is now sitting in Fayette County Jail waiting for a bed at a RSAT facility. When he finishes that; he will still have to complete 2 year Drug Court Program as part of his Felony Probation and... The Judge refused to expunge his Felony when he finishes all this. No one will talk to me. His Public Defender told him he may be able to avoid the RSAT program if we (his parents) put him in a private facility (like MARR for example) but no one will tell me if that's true or how to go about picking a place. We are not wealthy so money is a concern. This is his first offense. No Violent crimes ever. He is a junkie. That is his crime! I know he needs treatment but really scared where he will go and when. Some say he must go to Jackson Prison first before RSAT. Is that true? I have heard that Jackson is really violent now. I have so many questions. Can this be appealed even though he has already pleaded guilty? Can I actually put him in a private facility? If so; how? Which one? How about the felony expungement? Any hope of getting that reversed? Not even sure how this Blog / Forum works but I am trying everything. I keep calling the Public Defenders office for some info but no one returns my calls or emails!!! What can I do? I feel timing is important here! If something can be done I think it needs to happen fast! Anyone... HELP ME UNDERSTAND! Our son is 22. He has already wasted so many years to drugs. Now he will get into the "big boy" prison system and I am very afraid! Thank you.
Frustrated Dad, I understand your concern on these delicate matters and I have said it many times Georgia system sucks and is so out-dated. It sound as if your son should have been sentenced to drug rehab for two years instead of felony prison but that is how they get our young males here very early, they feel as if they can control our children one way or the other. Try contactin mcneil stokes in atlanta you can pull him on web, I am fairly new to this also but learning each day Yes jackson is big boy prison my son was there for two weeks before shipped out to riverbend and this is his first and I hope last, he is 24. Public Defender's are a joke and never return calls so don't hold your breath on it. You will have better chance going to clerk office downtown and seeking information at times they can be very helpful on such matters since they are doing the paperwork and sending to atlanta. It will not hurt trying maybe they can direct you to someone who will actually speak with you. Hang in there Dad
Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Dad -

I know exactly how you feel - my nephew has(had) a prescription drug problem. After 2 unseccessful rehabs (in excess of $50K in fees), he was involved in a drug deal gone bad and I helped identify a reputable and effective rehab for his age group and problem. Unfortunately your son is a year too old for the program which has helped my loved one for over 1.5 years.

Having said that, I do not recommend MARR as it is a work release program with very little supervision and/or counseling. MARR has a good reputation with the courts but their long term success rate is relatively low (and the goal IS to solve the problem). I do recommend Teen Challenge - very reasonable residential program and BreakThrough
Recovery. Breakthrough is covered under most major medical plans making it not as expensive as a lot of private facilities.

Good Luck
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Default Thank you!!! Update.

Hello... Many thanks to those of you who have read my blog and taken the time to reply. I forgot how to access this site and only found it again while doing a search on the internet. It's been over 1 month and our Son is still in FC jail. The good news is that we have run through many Lawyer Consultations and realize that there is not much we can do now. This is good news because it has taken away the false hope our Son was leaning on for a lighter sentence and has given him resolve to just deal with this! He is clean for the first time in years and he is talking about doing his time; the future and making sense.

Hopefully, he will get a bed at RSAT soon. He should not have to go through Jackson. A Blessing. The real danger will begin again when he finishes RSAT and is back on the street dealing with sobriety; probation; money; etc... We all know that "any contact" with the Police can constitute a VOP and can put him in and out of jail. We continue to research if there are any options to having the "permanent" felony record lifted somehow but... for now; we support him; encourage him and pray that this will one day be a memory.

I truly enjoyed reading all the replies. Hope to hear more. Thank you again... -Dad-
Old 06-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello... Many thanks to those of you who have read my blog and taken the time to reply. I forgot how to access this site and only found it again while doing a search on the internet. It's been over 1 month and our Son is still in FC jail. The good news is that we have run through many Lawyer Consultations and realize that there is not much we can do now. This is good news because it has taken away the false hope our Son was leaning on for a lighter sentence and has given him resolve to just deal with this! He is clean for the first time in years and he is talking about doing his time; the future and making sense.

Hopefully, he will get a bed at RSAT soon. He should not have to go through Jackson. A Blessing. The real danger will begin again when he finishes RSAT and is back on the street dealing with sobriety; probation; money; etc... We all know that "any contact" with the Police can constitute a VOP and can put him in and out of jail. We continue to research if there are any options to having the "permanent" felony record lifted somehow but... for now; we support him; encourage him and pray that this will one day be a memory.

I truly enjoyed reading all the replies. Hope to hear more. Thank you again... -Dad-
Dad -
Thanks for the update! It is truly a blessing your son is currently sober and has become resolved to doing the time and staying clean Resolution and determination is the basis on which he will succeed.

Good Luck to you!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Thanked 2,516 Times in 878 Posts

Hi Dad,
I'm a frustrated parent too. I know how hard it is to watch our children continue to want to use. I am disgusted, saddened and angered at how a drug(s) can literally steal their lives from them and us. The willpower they LACK is astounding.
Be strong I know when our youngest son's alcohol and drug use really escalated to the fore-front it was approx. 5 years ago when our middle son was arrested. It was such a horrible time for our family. Our middle son being arrested was and is still a tremendous SHOCK to our family. He is truly a good kid, that made a terrible decision and he is paying a grand price for his participation in a crime.
There have been so many days where I wish I could put my youngest son in my middle son's place. He needs to be somewhere with accountability and constant supervison, for a good while....long enough to have his brain start healing.
We have done the rehab road so many times...Ridgeview, Second Nature Wilderness Program, Therapuetic Community for 8 months, jail a few times, another round at Ridgeview, Tangu, Peachford and even MARR in McDonough and Decatur, trips to the E/R.
We have finally realized as parents none of our help will work until HE chooses to live clean.
When things got really bad he would scream for help and we'd run to his aid and even that was manipulation. A roof over his head, a good detox and food in his belly.

I use to think it would be terrible to have two son's in prison, but now I realize that prison could save my youngest son's life if he doesn't choose to save himself on his own.
We all know the fear of having a son or daughter with an addiction it is a living nightmare.
My heart goes out to you. I know you are worried about your son, but he will be okay. Let's pray that this will be the turning point in his life. When he gets out of RSAT he'll probably still need some type of rehab.

I often wonder if we had just allowed our youngest son to go to jail the first time instead of wisking him off to rehab (when he violated his probation), that may have been a better choice. He was so use to us rescuing him he just counted on it and for the longest time we were there...much of it was because we did not understand addiction. We thought WE could fix our kid, that he was an exception to the rule. It took us quite a while to figure out fixing him was not something that we could do. Our slow learning just allowed our son to dive deeper into addiction. UGH!!!
My sister bought me the book a couple years ago "Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children" by Allison Bottke. It's a great book and an easy read.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Reading your words was like watching myself in a mirror.
I too have an addicted son. Good kid, educated, skilled, great future. When hes not high or in jail.
We had the 'mouth dropping, head shaking' realization too, that this was bigger than us and we need professional help.
I get lost in my thoughts of his childhood and growing up and wonder where he went off track and why didnt we recognize it sooner? But then I remind myself, Im a mom. I recognized it soon enough. And we got help. He chose to continue to use. These are all his choices. But, my heart is paying the penalty.
Let us all pray for our loved ones that are suffering. Lets pray for each other that is supporting an addict.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrayingMama912 For This Useful Post:
GaReform (07-11-2020), GingerM (07-11-2020), Lordbew/us (08-09-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,417 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrayingMama912 View Post
Reading your words was like watching myself in a mirror.
I too have an addicted son. Good kid, educated, skilled, great future. When hes not high or in jail.
We had the 'mouth dropping, head shaking' realization too, that this was bigger than us and we need professional help.
I get lost in my thoughts of his childhood and growing up and wonder where he went off track and why didnt we recognize it sooner? But then I remind myself, Im a mom. I recognized it soon enough. And we got help. He chose to continue to use. These are all his choices. But, my heart is paying the penalty.
Let us all pray for our loved ones that are suffering. Lets pray for each other that is supporting an addict.
This post is over 8 years old. They may not see your response
Old 07-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,495 Times in 3,696 Posts

PrayingMama912, I'm very sorry that you're also going through this. Yes, addictions make the heart cry when those we love are destroying themselves. Even if this post is 8 years old and the OP isn't going to see it, I think it's a good affirmation for others out there who may read it and take solace that they are not the only one trying to cope with a loved one self-destructing. It is such a hopeless, helpless feeling.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-11-2020), GaReform (07-11-2020), Lordbew/us (08-09-2020), onedayatatime13 (07-11-2020)