Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Self-surrendering tomorrow July 20th

I have followed this forum for the past 2 years while my case has wound through the justice system. Tomorrow is just another step in my journey as I self surrender tomorrow to El Reno camp for 37 months. I guess the couple of questions I have is 1) Iím going to send money western union tomorrow how long before I can go to the commissary 2) how long till I can get phone stuff set up and be able to communicate with my family and friends? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. I just want to thank everyone on this forum for all the support and information they have provided. God bless and Iíll post again is somewhere between 21 months (if the first step act actually works) and 32 months with good time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newwhitecollar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-19-2020), jadah (07-31-2020), patchouli (07-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2020, 03:07 PM
Donation Award 

Good luck to you! I don't know how long for commissary there, if it is once per week as it is some places. Depending if there is a lock down or not, will determine the phone schedule, hopefully very quickly. Best wishes!
Old 07-19-2020, 03:44 PM
Lil British Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 12,096 Times in 5,053 Posts

Good luck to you and take good care of yourself. This time will pass and you can come home and get on with your life.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:00 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,109 Times in 17,120 Posts

Did you think to make a list of all your passwords for any online accounts and give it to someone you fully trust? Have you signed a POA & HIPPA? Also, make a list now of any phone numbers you'll want to include on your contact list. Someone can mail it to you as soon as you get to your home prison.

Have a safe speedy journey.....we'll be here waiting for your update that says you are Home

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
bellisq (07-19-2020), fbopnomore (07-19-2020), jadah (07-31-2020), YOGA62 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 05:16 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,894 Times in 13,714 Posts

If you deposit money to your account using Western Union, it will be available when you are able to spend it. You need your bop ID # (xxxxx-xxx) from either your self surrender notification letter, or from the bop inmate locator as soon as you appear there.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

Many bop prisons allow newcomers to shop out of order from their one day per week shopping day by writing "first time shopper" on your commissary shopping list, but you'll have to find out from El Reno.

The phone will take longer, although some bop counselors will allow you to place a quick phone call from their office phone. Before you can call using the inmate telephone system, ITS, you must give the counselor a list of every phone number you will be allowed to call. Once they are input into the ITS computer (which takes as long as the counselor takes) you have to wait until your 9 digit ITS pin number arrives in the mail, usually within a few days. Your pin # (and bop inmate ID #) will never change.

Calls may still be free because of covid 19, but once that ends you can use the phone along with your pin #, to transfer money from your commissary account to your ITS account, $1.00 on up, to purchase prepaid phone minutes. If it ever reaches zero, the call will be disconnected. You can check both balances on the phone prior to making a call.

Be sure to take a list of addresses & phone numbers with you, and also mail yourself a copy of the list to the El Reno inmate mailing address.
INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FCI EL RENO
FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
P.O. BOX 1500
EL RENO, OK 73036

By being allowed to self surrender to a minimum security camp, you will avoid the worst parts of a federal prison sentence. Camps are usually safe since folks who act up quickly find themselves moved to a real prison. Even so, inmate etiquette will make the biggest difference in how you are received by the other prisoners, and the staff.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newwhitecollar View Post
I have followed this forum for the past 2 years while my case has wound through the justice system. Tomorrow is just another step in my journey as I self surrender tomorrow to El Reno camp for 37 months. I guess the couple of questions I have is 1) Iím going to send money western union tomorrow how long before I can go to the commissary 2) how long till I can get phone stuff set up and be able to communicate with my family and friends? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. I just want to thank everyone on this forum for all the support and information they have provided. God bless and Iíll post again is somewhere between 21 months (if the first step act actually works) and 32 months with good time.
So many folks have already given you great information. This place continues to be a great resource!

We used Western Union the night before and the money was on my books the day after I self-surrendered when I could use it the first time at the commissary.

As for the commissary, at the camp I was at, a new inmate was allowed to shop any day of the week for that first week (just one day) as long as they simply put "new inmate" on their commissary list. Further, each unit (housing unit/wing) had a specific day of the week they could shop - the guys from your unit will show you the ropes. After that initial commissary visit as a new inmate, only shop on your assigned day - it will save you from embarrassment, aggravation, and a verbal thrashing from the Commissary CO.

As for the phone and email set-up, it took me about 7 days to get the communication set-up. My family was in limbo not knowing, but I was able to get word home (knew a friend of a friend already serving time at the camp) that I was alright until I could communicate myself.

fbopnomore already hit on the "inmate etiquette" and how important it is to follow the inmate rules while inside. I learned a TON by just reading these forums and I felt I was able to handle myself while inside. I followed these three rules when inside: I don't see anything, I don't hear anything, and most importantly, I don't say anything.

Good luck to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElMaestro For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-20-2020), patchouli (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 05:56 PM

I hope your time goes quickly. Hopefully you have a great support system to help you through this difficult time. Best of luck.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 PM

Stay, strong and positive.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 AM
Donation Award 

Thinking of you. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:08 PM
Donation Award 

Youíre gone already so I know you wonít see this but I canít resist saying.... good luck my friend...