Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:47 PM
Donation Award 

Default Do all Federal Prisons Have Same Phone System?

I need to set up a phone account as my son was transferred today I believe en route to a federal prison or OKC FTC or other transfer center.

What phone company phone system do I use to set up an account to receive his calls?

Glad he is finally out of the horrific county jail in MT. No masks, no cleaning supplies, no outdoors at all, no gym. Finally on his way! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 37,142 Times in 17,135 Posts

Its gonna be a little bit before he can call you....shoot, it may be a while (days, if not weeks) before he gets where he's going. Once there, his list will have to approved.

Here is a link to the BOP page on communications:
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp

I don't believe there is anything you need to set up for phone calls, but you will for emails. However, he'll have to email you first, before you can email him. Sounds like a good time to send him a few letters via Snail Mail....after he lands where he's going and you have an address

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
YOGA62 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:00 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,922 Times in 13,727 Posts

All bop owned prisons, but not the private ones, use the inmate telephone system, ITS. When I was at Oklahoma City (the same with Atlanta's holdover dungeon) only very expensive collect calls were available, but that may have changed to the ITS by now.

ITS requires them to provide their counselor with every phone number they will be allowed to call. Once he is activated on the ITS computer, he then must wait to receive a 9 digit phone pin number in the US Mail (the first time anyway), the pin number will remain the same at every bop owned prison/ITS he passes through. In normal times, that took about a week to happen, but these aren't normal times.

He then can use the telephone and his pin number to transfer money from the commissary account to ITS to purchase prepaid phone minutes, or he can call you collect as long as your phone provider allows collect calls. Each call requires him to input his pin number, and when he does, all you have to do on your end is to press the correct phone digit to accept each call as it arrives (maybe "5", but I forget).

In normal times, they have a limit of 300 phone minutes each month (400 in Nov. & Dec.) with no carryover of unused minutes. They cost 6 cents/min for local calls to each prison, or 21 cents/min for long distance. I have read that covid has changed that, more minutes each month, and free calls.

The monthly limits (phone & commissary spending limit) refresh to the next "month" on the same day, the 5th number in his prison ID number (xxxxX-xxx) times 3, plus one, so if his number is 7, he receives the new limits on the 22nd of each month.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM

Phone time is 500 minutes per month now, since the pandemic-induced shut down of visitation, and it is free of charge. But it will truly depend on how fast his counselor process the paperwork.

I agree, write to him, including your email address, so when he gets his account set up, he will send you an invite email for you to set up. Corrlink (the emailing app) is nearly free, unless you buy the mobile app ($6 a year).

Send him some money thru Western Union, link on bop website, so he can purchase email credits and stamps, perhaps a bit food from the commissary. There might be a copay for dental appointments etc.

Lastly, if he's transferred today, you should be able to find out where he is today on bop's inmate locater...it's updated daily at midnight.

All the best!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2020), patchouli (07-16-2020), YOGA62 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you. He was taken from the Montana County Jail on July 15. He still is showing "Unknown" in BOP locator with no know release date. Can I send him money now? I don't know where he is going! I heard it will show UNKNOWN until he lands at a federal facility. Can I send money now I guess I am confused. I thought I could do nothing until he arrives. I can't write till I know where he is. I will look on the site to see if I can send money. If you can please reply. Thanks
Old 07-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Donation Award 

Nope can't send money till it shows his location in BOP inmate locator. Quite the bureaucratic system all right.

Sending Money

The following three funding methods apply to inmates held at a BOP facility. If the inmate is at a private contract facility, please contact that facility or contract operator for instructions on how to send funds.
MoneyGram® (Electronically)Western Union® (Electronically)United States Postal Service® (Mail)
Overview
What You'll Need
How/Where to Send
Troubleshoot Problems
Sending funds using MoneyGram

Inmates can receive funds at a BOP-managed facility, which are deposited into their commissary accounts. You can send an inmate funds electronically using MoneyGram's ExpressPayment Program.

Funds are received and processed seven days per week, including holidays.
Funds sent between 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. EST are posted within 2-4 hours.
Funds sent after after 9:00 p.m. EST are posted at 7:00 a.m. EST the following morning.
To send funds using this method, please read and follow these steps carefully:

Wait until an inmate has physically arrived at a Federal Bureau of Prisons' facility. Locate Inmate Whereabouts
Gather the information you'll need. View Details
Send the funds from a MoneyGram location or over the internet. View Details
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-16-2020), patchouli (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 06:22 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Check with the prison/jail where he is to see if you can send him money to be used there. When he eventually arrives in bop custody, the money remaining in his account will be processed by their rules, whatever they are. They may eventually be transferred to the bop, or returned to him (or to the person who sent them). That will almost certainly be a slow process, so it is important that you fund his bop account as soon as you know his bop ID#, (xxxxx-xxx) from the inmate locator.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

Western Union deposits are posted immediately. If you send a US Postal Money order to the lock box address in Des Moines, Iowa, they are processed as soon as they arrive. Any other money order is subject to a 15 day hold. Unless there is money in his bop inmate account, he will not be able to shop in the bop commissary until there is, so timing is very important. The same is true once they resume charging for phone calls (except for collect calls if your phone provider allows collect calls), no money, no phones.

Just because he has money available doesn't guarantee that he will be able to shop. Inmates usually are limited to one shopping order per week, but only on their "shopping day. Some (but not all) bop prisons permit new arrivals to shop immediately by writing "first time shopper" on their commissary order sheet.

Lockdowns for any reason, including covid, can limit, or stop, commissary access completely

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-16-2020 at 06:24 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (07-17-2020), patchouli (07-16-2020), YOGA62 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:08 PM
Donation Award 

So I just found out from a guard at another prison that looked him up that he should arrive in Florence soon he is in transit. Are you saying I can fund his account without a exact prison? The woman in Florence said she recommended I wait until he arrives and THEN put money on his account. I know his prison number. I am worried about the SUPERMAX prison next door. He will be in a MEDIUM. I thought he could get a LOW since he only had 2 criminal points, and did not possess the gun the other two men had the guns, but perhaps with the armed robbery of drug traffickers, he gets a MEDIUM. I wonder if he can later transfer to a LOW? He heard Englewood good conditions. I heard he can ask after 18 months for a transfer, no guarantees. He also is appealing his conviction sentence length.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:12 PM
Donation Award 

Default Florece MEDIUM Tomorrow MoneyGram

I will call tomorrow early afternoon and see if they can accept a money gram prior to his arrival. I would like him to have some money when he gets there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Check with the prison/jail where he is to see if you can send him money to be used there. When he eventually arrives in bop custody, the money remaining in his account will be processed by their rules, whatever they are. They may eventually be transferred to the bop, or returned to him (or to the person who sent them). That will almost certainly be a slow process, so it is important that you fund his bop account as soon as you know his bop ID#, (xxxxx-xxx) from the inmate locator.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

Western Union deposits are posted immediately. If you send a US Postal Money order to the lock box address in Des Moines, Iowa, they are processed as soon as they arrive. Any other money order is subject to a 15 day hold. Unless there is money in his bop inmate account, he will not be able to shop in the bop commissary until there is, so timing is very important. The same is true once they resume charging for phone calls (except for collect calls if your phone provider allows collect calls), no money, no phones.

Just because he has money available doesn't guarantee that he will be able to shop. Inmates usually are limited to one shopping order per week, but only on their "shopping day. Some (but not all) bop prisons permit new arrivals to shop immediately by writing "first time shopper" on their commissary order sheet.

Lockdowns for any reason, including covid, can limit, or stop, commissary access completely
The Following User Says Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:49 PM

His lawyer should call the designation and calculation center to find out about his security level. They might tell the lawyer where he's been designated to as well.

It's nice of the guard to give you the info, most don't or give misleading info. most likely you wont be able to MG or WU money until he is in fed custody.

Let's hope he arrives at his designated Florence soon. you see how people get stuck in transit for weeks or months because of the pandemic. Engelwood is a well managed facility.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Yes you can put money on his bop inmate account before he arrives at Florence and it will be available to him when he gets there (at any bop owned prison, privately owned prisons are different). Another possibility, depending on his "custody score", is he could be assigned to the minimum security camp at Florence, but you won't know until he gets there.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5100_008.pdf

If he does have "camp" points", and he ends up being designated to a higher security level prison anyway, he can file an inmate grievance with his unit team over the improper classification. The bop can, and does send prisoners anywhere by assigning them a "public safety factor" or a "management variable", but if he doesn't have one of those, he can appeal his placement. The covid 19 pandemic also gives the bop extra leeway, but being assigned to a higher than necessary prison is dangerous, and can be appealed.

I had 2 total custody points (camp 0 to 11; low 12 to 15; medium 16 to 23; high 24 +) but I was assigned to a medium security prison anyway because of a PSF.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-17-2020 at 06:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Donation Award 

Default Son in Limbo

Well he has not arrived. I called Florence and they said he has to go to a quarantine for 14 days at a transfer center and then would be sent somewhere. They would not confirm he is even going to Florence they said that is against the rules.

So the "Hurry up and wait" is what he said I must do. So I am waiting for him to call and tell me where he is!

Also he won't be at a camp. He has a home invasion robbery where two men entered with guns and masks. My son didn't have a gun but he went to the home to get his money back from the drug dealers that did not give him his money or the heroin. So he made a life shattering mistake taking two men there while he says he told them to wait in the car and stay there unless something went wrong, they came in. So he has a 924c and appeal rights on his plea, when the US Supreme Court finally rules, he may be able to appeal the 924c violent crime vagueness and get a lesser sentence. He is also appealing the 55 months on the robbery, as he only had 2 criminal points and got the same sentence as the other man that had 13 criminal points. Long story. He will likely be at a MEDIUM. Big mess. I just will be glad to hear from him and find out where he is.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 PM

If he's at a fed facility like Oklahoma FTC, you should still be able to see him on bop's locator, but the FTC contracts nearby local jails for overflow, and if he's in one of those, he won't be on the locator.

about money left in his account at county detention, they should forward the fund to his bop account soonish, some within a day or two. these county detention centers compete to get the bop contracts, so they try to be efficient.

As for your son's security level, there is a Program Statements on bop website: P5100.08 - "Inmate Security Designation & Custody Classification". it's under the "Resources" tab, then "Policy & Forms". You might find it helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to AyaStar For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-18-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 PM
Donation Award 

He is in Florence MEDIUM FCI. I sent a WU wire last Saturday. No call, no email. He must be in quarantine. Hoping to hear very soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YOGA62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-29-2020), patchouli (07-29-2020), safran (07-29-2020)