Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Pennsylvania.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Default Concerned husband at SCI Phoenix

GOOD AFTERNOON, I need some help. My husband is at Sci Phoenix n there's a Correction Officer that keep calling him racist names (coon) and has stated that he will make sure that my husband doesn't get paroled. He also makes sure that when he puts his meals thru the slot that they fall on the floor. PLEASE help
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2020, 03:37 PM
Lil British Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 12,096 Times in 5,053 Posts

Hi there I have moved your post to our Arizona forum so our members there can advise you.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:58 PM

I believe this is for PA not AZ.. Sorry if I'm wrong
Old 04-24-2020, 05:08 PM

SCI Phoenix is in Pennsylvania not in Arrizona.
Can you move it to a section that has information that may help me with state prison in Pennsylvania
Old 04-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Yes this is for PA, not Arizona
Old 04-24-2020, 05:21 PM
Lil British Site Moderator on Leave

Thanked 12,096 Times in 5,053 Posts

I have moved it to the PA forum my apologies.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-28-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 05:27 PM

Mines also as SCI Phoenix, I can't say I know exactly what you should do. First my question is what does your husband say? Does he want you to do something or not? Sometimes it's best they handle the situation, you getting involved could possibly make things worse which is not what you or he wants.
The Following User Says Thank You to blossom71 For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (04-24-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millymil0905 View Post
Yes this is for PA, not Arizona
Milly, here is their web page.

https://www.cor.pa.gov/Facilities/St...s/Phoenix.aspx

This page has their contact numbers and emails
https://www.cor.pa.gov/About%20Us/Co...s/Contact.aspx

Here is their contact details if you're wanting to call or email them regarding your husbands treatment

Contact DOC Central Office
Department of Corrections
1920 Technology Parkway | Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
Central Office Main Phone Line: 717.728.2573
Central Office Email: ra-contactdoc@pa.gov

Email the DOC Secretary at ra-crpadocsecretary@pa.gov
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,894 Times in 13,714 Posts

Filing a formal complaint should not happen without his approval, it has the potential to make his life even worse. The fact that there is at least one racist CO, probably more at SCI Phoenix, (but the smarter ones don't make it so obvious) is not a secret to anyone from the warden on down, but it is either encouraged or at least tolerated by the administrators. It is always seen by prison staff as us versus them, good versus evil, so getting a fair investigation (aka he probably deserves it) is usually impossible.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 04-25-2020 at 10:29 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-28-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:42 AM

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,316 Posts

First, this should be addressed by the prisoner, not his family. Prisons expect the men and women in their custody to take responsibility. If you want to hear taunting: "You were tough on the street when you _______; now you call your wife for help?" So let him handle this.

Second, informal trumps formal when it comes to complaints. The prisoner should first try to determine why he has been singled out. I'm not implying that he's to blame, but it helps if he can figure out why a specific guard (or more than one) have decided to target him. This is helpful when he brings it to the attention of superiors.

His first attempt would be to respectfully ask the officer why this is happening. If the officer is purely racist, it must be happening a lot. Our DOC is mostly non-white inmates and a racist isn't going to target just one. he is giving the officer a chance to state his reason(s). It may accomplish nothing, but he was man enough to give the officer a chance.

He then SPEAKS with a sergeant or lieutenant. This keeps it in the Security chain-of-command and keeps it off paper. Informal complaints like this are easy to resolve because the officer knows there's no record of it. Failing there, he can report it to his counselor, but that officially raises it to a complaint of abuse and it will probably be recorded. Finally, he can file a written grievance. These are escalating steps, each more formal than the one before, and they should be taken patiently, because the higher this goes, the greater the chance of retaliation from wither the officer involved or his friends. Again, knowing why this officer has singled him out can be a crucial piece of information.

The Prison Society can get involved, but we would be counseling him to take the same steps before we would speak with the administration. At PHX, our team members can often go to a lower-level supervisor informally rather than drop this on the Superintendent's desk.

You don't say if he is in classification (blues) or has been classified there (browns). If he's on his way into the system, he won't be there long enough for this to play out. if he's in population (browns), then he should know some of the "white shirts" by now and can speak with one.

I hope this helps.
fbopnomore (04-26-2020), guardianangel3 (07-31-2020), nene_510 (06-14-2020), safran (04-26-2020), sidewalker (04-28-2020), waitinguntil001 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 07:19 AM

Thanked 1,014 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
First, this should be addressed by the prisoner, not his family. Prisons expect the men and women in their custody to take responsibility. If you want to hear taunting: "You were tough on the street when you _______; now you call your wife for help?" So let him handle this.

Second, informal trumps formal when it comes to complaints. The prisoner should first try to determine why he has been singled out. I'm not implying that he's to blame, but it helps if he can figure out why a specific guard (or more than one) have decided to target him. This is helpful when he brings it to the attention of superiors.

His first attempt would be to respectfully ask the officer why this is happening. If the officer is purely racist, it must be happening a lot. Our DOC is mostly non-white inmates and a racist isn't going to target just one. he is giving the officer a chance to state his reason(s). It may accomplish nothing, but he was man enough to give the officer a chance.

He then SPEAKS with a sergeant or lieutenant. This keeps it in the Security chain-of-command and keeps it off paper. Informal complaints like this are easy to resolve because the officer knows there's no record of it. Failing there, he can report it to his counselor, but that officially raises it to a complaint of abuse and it will probably be recorded. Finally, he can file a written grievance. These are escalating steps, each more formal than the one before, and they should be taken patiently, because the higher this goes, the greater the chance of retaliation from wither the officer involved or his friends. Again, knowing why this officer has singled him out can be a crucial piece of information.

The Prison Society can get involved, but we would be counseling him to take the same steps before we would speak with the administration. At PHX, our team members can often go to a lower-level supervisor informally rather than drop this on the Superintendent's desk.

You don't say if he is in classification (blues) or has been classified there (browns). If he's on his way into the system, he won't be there long enough for this to play out. if he's in population (browns), then he should know some of the "white shirts" by now and can speak with one.

I hope this helps.
As a CO I also agree with this advice. Things should be handled by the inmate not their outside family members. Just like most things in life it should be attempted to be handled at the lowest level first, then if is not resolved then up the chain of command.

I also recommend finding a way of recording each and every instance where this CO went out of his way to single out the inmate with racial slurs and other actions.

Unfortunately it is the inmate's word against the administration's. I am not saying there is nothing he can do, but it is an uphill battle. As a CO, I have seen many times inmate file paperwork against COs because they try and get the CO in trouble not because they were actually doing anything wrong. It could be the CO is hard on everyone when it comes to enforcing the rules, while others are more lax and the inmate are used to a more relaxed rule bending environment. It could be the CO is extra good in disrupting illegal activity in the unit and they are trying to get him moved.

I for one don't want to see racist or vindictive COs working. It makes it harder for the rest of us to do our jobs. I don't want to come to work into an environment where the guy before me spent 8 hours poking a hornet's nest.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-26-2020), guardianangel3 (07-31-2020), safran (04-26-2020), sidewalker (04-28-2020), waitinguntil001 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 12:54 PM
Owned
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,610 Times in 2,086 Posts

I agree 100% with Bob and Bike, but would add if they’re ignored long enough bullies usually move on to a new target.

They get bored when they don’t get a reaction and I’d guess with the virus even the worst of bullies has more to do than harass an inmate.

No, it’s not fair - it’s not even close to fair - but life in prison is filled with unfairness.
fbopnomore (04-26-2020), guardianangel3 (07-31-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post

I hope this helps.
My son is in another facility in PA and had a similar issue with a guard that gave him a hard time about property that was taken and not returned; when he asked me to call to assist, i did, but then apparently they took away his kiosk privileges (so he couldnt email me). i just today came onto the site for advice...very difficult to not be able to do anything, or know what is going on...but, good advice, thanks...
The Following User Says Thank You to guardianangel3 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-15-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:51 PM

we are having even more trouble in the facility, my son was in the hole for 2 weeks and came back to find much of his stuff missing. the same guard is now starting in on him again. i did ask the Prison Society to get involved, and 'someone tried to have a video call with him yesterday but couldnt connect'. ??? my son also mentioned this guard has had PCRAs filed against him...and thats the last ive heard from my son. now i dont know whether to alert people there to that, or leave it in the hands of fate...did i somehow make things worse? the unknowingness is killing...