Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CONNECTICUT > Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Connecticut Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Connecticut Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Need general info on the CT doc, please help

i am from massachusetts, 1 night in connecticut an altercation occured where i was put in a position to defend myself. long story short, i ended up being charged with assault in the 1st degree, which in the state of CT carries a minimum mandatory 5 year sentence. asking around, ive heard that the judge is notorious and has a history of handing out extreme sentences. i was released on $250,000 bail. 7 months after the incident i was offered a deal of 3 years direct, and a 5 year suspended sentence to follow which the states attorney promises will be removed if i manage to make it through my direct sentence without getting into trouble, and doing good for 6 months after release. also, the charge is being reduced to assault 2. being from MA, and never doing any time before this i have quite a few questions. the 1st is, if my charge is lowered to assault 2, will i be going to a level 3 facility? or is it still considered a level 4 offense? another question i have is, i know for a fact that the state has recently re-enstated "good time'' which couldnt have came at a better time, but ive also heard from a few people that theyve either passed, or are in the works on passing something lowering the time served percent to 65% from 85% for violent offeders parole eligability. is this true? ive looked all over online and cant find anything about it. that would be huge. im pretty sure i have til about september before i go in. also, can someone please explain to me the whole process? like, i know ill be moved from the court to walker for an assesment period. how long will that be? and what happens from there? as i said, this is my first time being incarcerated. along with these questions, if anyone with experience in the CT system has any advice or tips that'll help me through this process ahead of me, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 08:26 PM

Walker is a decent facility
I live very near to it.And I know a few of the co's. I am sorry I have no info on your other questions
Good luck with everything
Old 06-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 15,300 Times in 3,764 Posts

Good time was reinstated, that is true but parole eligibility is still based on the nature of crime and Assualt 1 and 2 both qualify as violent (as I understand it) so your first eligible parole date will be at 85% of your time served, minus good time allowances if you earn them. It's not like the old good time where it was givien to anyone, this manifestation requires that the inmate either work, go to school or take programs in order to gain good time.

My *guess* is that you will probably go to a level 4 initially after your assessment. McDougall is probably the best of all the 4's in CT (according to my BF anyways). With all the closures, they had a tonne of 2's in the level 3 facilities already and they are fairly crowded as a result.

Advice? Stay busy. Be careful who you befriend and stay quiet. You are very fortunate with that offer - I know people that are doing 3 times that for the same offence.

You will get through it... If you have people on the outside supporting you - that is a bonus. If possible, try and have them send you a couple hundred dollars as soon as you get settled in your facility. You can get yourself set up with electronics, supplies, etc, these things will help keep you distracted.

All the best and welcome to PTO
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM

i dont know much about the good time bill, but from what ive been told, you can aquire good time by doing programs, having no or very few tickets, and just staying out of trouble. dont quote me on that though. as far as assessment and facilities, you will go to walker right after court. usually, people are there from 1 to 2 weeks. there, they interview you on your education, substance abuse, crime, criminal history, stuff like that. from there, they will decide which facility fits you best (really its where ever thaeres room for you). because you are getting 3 years, you will either go to a level 4 or 3. ive never been incarcerated, but from what ive been told, level 4 facilities are actually nicer than level 3. they have cells (not dorms) and tend to be cleaner. but there are more serious offenders there. just dont talk shit, dont borrow anything or gamble, and do your own time.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:09 PM

the 85% down to 65% is purely a rumor that keeps resurfacing....