Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > UTAH Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

UTAH Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Utah - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, Visitation, Mail ,News & Information, etc.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:20 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,032 Times in 597 Posts
Default Exactly how bad are Utah State Prisons?

Exactly how bad are the prisons in Utah?
I'm not asking this because of my current case but instead after hearing a few tales about the prison in Draper. One friend showed me proof her son is being repeatedly abused, and the state does nothing...because the abusers ARE the state employees.

Are there any other stories of the abuse prisoners in Utah get?
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2017, 08:02 AM

I know a few people that work at the state prison and a I know people that have been in the men's and women's. I haven't heard things like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to priceam For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:11 AM

I don't have that kind of personal knowledge but can make a guess, which is that abuse happens at only the normal rate. If it were as bad as Alabama or Florida then something would have come up on Prison Legal News or The Marshall Project.

I'm totally willing to believe what your friend is reporting but it may not be the usual thing.

I'm afraid this will sound like victim blaming, which would be totally wrong. But it does seem like people who swallow their pride and don't make waves are targeted for mistreatment much less often. Of course abuse is always wrong and sometimes it happens to model prisoners too.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:18 AM
Alferd Packer fan

Thanked 1,032 Times in 597 Posts

In my friend's case, his son has a documented food allergy from back when he was pre-pubescent in age. Now he's in his 30's, in prison, and the prison is refusing to honor the food restriction made by the prison doctor, instead following the suggestions of an unlicensed dietician. His son is actually starving. It's horrible.
"I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel