Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Question Help Me! My Husband Is Addicted To Suboxone

Hi. I've never tried this before, but I am in a desperate need of some advice. My husband is in prison here in New Mexico. While he has been serving a 18 month sentence, he has became addicted to saboxin. I'm so unfamiliar with what they are and used for, and why he would choose to be using them. You see my husband was incarcerated last year and was addicted to crystal meth at the time of his arrest. Yet now it's a totally different drug that has turned him into a heartless and careless husband and father. He is due to be released on October 13 of this year and I am totally confused as to what we have in store for us. We have been together for over 17 years and in this time he had always been an addict to uppers. Should I be concerned that saboxin has became his drug of choice? Or just wait until he comes home to see if he is still trying to use.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,083 Times in 603 Posts

Has he said he wants help? If so be ready to check him into a detox immediately upon release. I do think you should be concerned. Take care
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 PM

I dont know too much about it, my husband has always had addiction to pain meds then added in the addiction to crystal meth. But he has takin saboxin from my understanding its supposed to be prescribed to help people stay off of pain pills i believe? And to treat pain. All i know is everytime my husband took it he vomitted profusely so i cant really tell u how it made him other than sick. Its not a pill it comes in a strip that dissolves on ur tongue. My husband has always had an addiction to uppers but pain pills basically make him speed which is why he does that too. Im sorry your going through this, but i agree get him to detox center or rehab or something. Detoxing off of any pain meds can be dangerous and painful which often results in why people never stop.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 PM

Im sure the reason he decided to use that is because its what is probably highly available. I have heard many stories on how it gets into jails and lets just say its pretty easy given the description of it.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,372 Times in 5,181 Posts

I've changed the title to reflect the name of the drug as "suboxone". If that's in error, please let me know and I'll change it again. Some people use it coming off of heroin, so for those unfamiliar with opiod drugs, you can think of the physical response similiar to heroin.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 AM

Thanked 1,614 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricocecil View Post
Hi. I've never tried this before, but I am in a desperate need of some advice. My husband is in prison here in New Mexico. While he has been serving a 18 month sentence, he has became addicted to saboxin. I'm so unfamiliar with what they are and used for, and why he would choose to be using them. You see my husband was incarcerated last year and was addicted to crystal meth at the time of his arrest. Yet now it's a totally different drug that has turned him into a heartless and careless husband and father. He is due to be released on October 13 of this year and I am totally confused as to what we have in store for us. We have been together for over 17 years and in this time he had always been an addict to uppers. Should I be concerned that saboxin has became his drug of choice? Or just wait until he comes home to see if he is still trying to use.
Your in a relationship with an addict and most do not care what drug they use, only that they find their next fix. Regardless of why he uses the one that is available, it is time for YOU to get yourself into your own recovery program and living with an addict is no cakewalk.

Sounds like there are children involved in this relationship which signifies to me that your focus needs to be on the welfare of them and not on him and his drug use. Get yourself to some support groups so you can educate yourself on loving/living with an addict.

Take the time he is away to work on your recovery program and protecting any innocent children from this shitty situation.

Best of you and everyone involved.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:07 AM

There's is an epidemic of Suboxone usage in NM prisons. It is the easiest drug to get in there and the most expensive. It's horrible! My brother is an addict as well and has just returned to prison on parole violation as well as new charges. He said he loves Suboxone. I guess he "loves" it more than his freedom.

I'd recommend you start educating yourself as much as possible on Suboxone. Maybe find a support group as well. And please don't fall for the "it's legal" BS. It is prescribed to addicts and is legal but only taken as prescribed - which most addicts don't adhere to.

Last edited by nancyginnm; 09-19-2017 at 07:12 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 AM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 836 Posts

So sorry! Many addicts use suboxone as a bridge in between their street drugs...heroin etc. Suboxone will stop him from going into a full blown withdrawl. For an addict it's all "legal" when administered by a physician.
Many addicts that are not in prison will use suboxone as a back up when they aren't able to get their street drugs.
I have lived this nightmare with our son who lost his life at 24, to addiction almost 4 years ago. Hindsight is 20/20 and my heartaches looking back on my son's life. Suboxone is a double edged sword because it allows the addict to never be clean on his own. It's just a continuance of the stronghold of addiction.
Check out soberrecovery.com There are many on that forum that are dealing with suboxone and addiction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (09-19-2017), Ms Sunny (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Well suboxone is pretty much in every prison from my experience and a lot of people are doing it. It doesn't sound like he gonna make if very long in the free world without going back, especially if he is on paper when he gets out. When i was an addict i would take suboxone as a last resort if i couldnt get something else. When i got locked up I did take it alot more for the first year. I ended up in the hole and was able to kick my habits while in there but it is hard to do. Honestly if it were me I would not wait on them and i would move on. It might sound heartless but unless u wanna be with someone that is in and out of jail for the rest of his life then I would split.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:22 PM

How is he paying for it? Are you funding him?
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM

My friend went through this. He signed himself into the hole for a few weeks as he needed to get away from the temptation of it being all around while he tried to get clean. He was honest with the staff and told them why he was signing himself into the hole and they were actually really nice to him and supportive. He came out again early August and so far so good. He said it was day 17 before he felt normal and the cravings stopped. I wish you luck with this as it's hard xx
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,250 Posts

Suboxone is used in conjunction with substance abuse treatment for a short period to help people transition to sobriety. It is not meant to be taken for extended periods of time. I guess you are seeing negative side effects of long term use. If your husband is getting out soon, and you can afford it, it would be helpful if he went into a residential drug treatment center to detox and kick start recovery. I was shocked to look it up and see it is an opiate. Guess it not the panacea the addictionologists rave about.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 PM
still batshit crazy

Thanked 1,133 Times in 559 Posts
Default You are not alone!

Echoing Lordbew: SoberRecovery is an awesome site.

You'll discover that you're not the only one whose LO is an addict - as well as tons of support from those who've been there - and those of us who still are.

Addiction is a disease. It's insanity.
Those of us who love an addict/alcoholic have to learn to accept that there's not a damn thing we can do to "save" our LO.

Please, please check out SoberRecovery. It's the best forum I've found to learn about the demons of addiction and how to cope. I am a recovering addict/alcoholic, my husband is struggling to stay clean. It tears me up at times - to love someone as much as I do him and know that I am utterly powerless to help him. If I hadn't had the support I've found on that forum [for 13 years now] I'd have gone stark, raving mad. [There are many who say that I'm pretty nutty, but I'm ok with that. ]

Really, the only thing you can do to help an addict is to take care of yourself first. Don't let their insanity destroy you as well.
You don't have to do this alone.

This is the link to SR's "Friends and Family" forum.

Please feel free to PM me.
bellisq (09-20-2017), Lordbew/us (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Yup, basically what others have said. Suboxone is used to treat/ease withdrawals from heroin/opioid addiction. It's generally managed very closely by a doctor. My understanding is that the form the drug is in - it's like a strip, if you've ever seen it - is fairly easy to smuggle in as contraband. Anyway, I don't know that you really need to treat this differently than any other drug addiction. So yes, I'd be concerned, but I would focusing on caring for yourself and setting healthy boundaries. You can't control your spouse or his addiction. Have you looked into Al-Anon meetings in your area? I have found them immensely helpful when dealing with addict friends and family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle610 For This Useful Post:
fiat_nox (09-20-2017), nimuay (09-21-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:51 AM

Good luck - Suboxone addiction is just as bad now a days as heroin/opiod addiction and the withdrawals are just as bad.. Extremely expensive, so unless you are funding him, I am sure he is accumulating a high debt which wont be good for him. My husband got addicted and I bailed him out owing people a few times in the beginning, after that, I said you are on your own.. He's never asked me for a dime since, but its taken a toll on our marriage.
Lordbew/us (09-28-2017)