Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 PM

Default Babies in prison

It turns out to be good for the kids and for their mothers to allow women to keep their infants with them.

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-female...-reoffend.html

Quote:
Presenting the case for a mother-and-infant facility to be built at Adelaide Women's Prison, UniSA law lecturer Juliette McIntyre says there are strong financial, social and emotional arguments for keeping female inmates close to their newborns.
"Not only are reoffending rates lower, but new mothers have the chance to learn parenting skills and to bond with their child. If those attachments are not formed, there are significant negative impacts for the child's future, including a higher risk of perpetuating a cycle of crime as teenagers and adults," McIntyre says. "Children have a fundamental right not to be separated from their parents."
K6770 (09-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2017, 08:04 AM

I saw several babies and toddlers in their arms of their incarcerated mothers yesterday at visitation. It's one of the toughest things I see because the mother's are only allowed very limited interaction with the children during normal visitation. But the mothers can sign up for a special program, called Children's Center, that allows them to spend a full day with their children once a month in a much freer atmosphere where they can play, eat and just be together. The program also has a class associated to it during the week which teaches parenting skills. It would be amazing if the program had the funding for more days. I don't think the hard on crime culture in my state will ever allow infants and toddlers to stay with their incarcerated mothers, but one can hope. I know Children's Center has made a huge difference in my loved one's life and the lives of her small children.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
Minor activist (09-24-2017), missingdee (09-24-2017), WaitingWilkes (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
I saw several babies and toddlers in their arms of their incarcerated mothers yesterday at visitation. It's one of the toughest things I see because the mother's are only allowed very limited interaction with the children during normal visitation. ...
Visiting with our daughter was agony for my wife for a long time. She was severely restricted for the first 3 years. She was hardly permitted to touch our daughter. By the time the restrictions were eased our daughter was afraid of being touched by her. Their relationship was practically non-existent for a long time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
K6770 (09-24-2017), Minor activist (09-24-2017), onparoleinTO (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Wilkes, I so sorry about what your wife, daughter, and you have gone through. My eyes are open. I don't write much now, but I'm not ignoring what I'm seeing.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Wilkes, I so sorry about what your wife, daughter, and you have gone through. My eyes are open. I don't write much now, but I'm not ignoring what I'm seeing.
Thanks. We're all hauling a lot of freight. Every load's different but they're all heavy.