Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Current news items and information on events related to the New Jersey prison & criminal justice system, Legal News & Questions, etc.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Default First Time Headed to NJ Prison Need Advice

I signed a plea for a 5 flat year term. I am scheduled to get sentenced in 2 weeks. My charges are identity cc theft & forgery. I have 19 months of time credit (I have a pretty good chance of getting the 19 mo credited).
I do have a longer than normal record. This is my first time going to prison. I am a little freaked out on the process. I have been to jails in a few states but never state prison. I am a non violent offender, 36 years old, no institutional record of getting into trouble, college educated.
I am in dire need of whatever tips or advise anyone would be kind to send my way. Specific worries I have are the following...

1. If the judge awards me all my jail credit of 19 months I will be parole eligible immediately? Will this benefit me at all vs not getting any time awarded?
2. How long do I stay at "CRAF"?
3. Will I be classified to a minimum unit off the start?
4. Is the NJ prison system political like on the west coast?
5. Any better places to go than others?
6. NJ Dept of Corr. have any programs like farm living with real street job or halfway house?
7. How does commissary and visitation work?

I know parole is case by case basis but if you behave yourself while there will you almost always get paroled out on first time to board? I do not have violent crime or violent record and I will be a model inmate during my stay.

Thank you greatly. Any questions you have for me to get me a better answer please ask. I will reply within a few hours. I appreciate any and everything :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2018, 11:31 PM

RC,

Please review the response from your other post. You will see most, if not all, of the answers you need.

(P.S. - I am very much the same as you...no prior record, 35 y/o with a non-violent crime, full-time job and college educated. I signed for a 5 with a 2 year mandatory minimum, I was sentenced in Sept of '14 and was paroled in Sept of '16. YOU CAN DO THIS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilotjwg View Post
I signed a plea for a 5 flat year term. I am scheduled to get sentenced in 2 weeks. My charges are identity cc theft & forgery. I have 19 months of time credit (I have a pretty good chance of getting the 19 mo credited).
I do have a longer than normal record. This is my first time going to prison. I am a little freaked out on the process. I have been to jails in a few states but never state prison. I am a non violent offender, 36 years old, no institutional record of getting into trouble, college educated.
I am in dire need of whatever tips or advise anyone would be kind to send my way. Specific worries I have are the following...

1. If the judge awards me all my jail credit of 19 months I will be parole eligible immediately? Will this benefit me at all vs not getting any time awarded?
2. How long do I stay at "CRAF"?
3. Will I be classified to a minimum unit off the start?
4. Is the NJ prison system political like on the west coast?
5. Any better places to go than others?
6. NJ Dept of Corr. have any programs like farm living with real street job or halfway house?
7. How does commissary and visitation work?

I know parole is case by case basis but if you behave yourself while there will you almost always get paroled out on first time to board? I do not have violent crime or violent record and I will be a model inmate during my stay.

Thank you greatly. Any questions you have for me to get me a better answer please ask. I will reply within a few hours. I appreciate any and everything :-)