Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Illinois that do not fit into any other Illinois sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Default Short timer denied school due to lack of time in Illinois. Who do I contact

My question Is very very simple my boyfriend is in Illinois prison and although he only has till Jan 2019 when he is released he has denied school which is a 45 day contract because he is considered a short timer. I really don't feel that is fair and although with completion of this schooling it would only knock off like 20 days it would mean he would me home before or shortly after Christmas. Does anyone know who I could contact to help him get this schooling because he is only trying to make himself a better person open release. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Dana
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,196 Posts

What kind of schooling is it? Just GED prep? They probably don't want to waste a seat on someone who isn't going to be there long enough to finish. The initial school orientation may only take 45 days, but it usually takes many months more to finish.

If he's getting out in only 4 months, then he really is a short timer.

I know it sucks not getting any good time credits, days knocked off his sentence, but he should be thankful he has such a short sentence even if it means he won't be there long enough to qualify for any programs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,186 Times in 6,891 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landan45 View Post
Does anyone know who I could contact to help him get this schooling because he is only trying to make himself a better person open release. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
That seems like a pretty reasonable regulation to have in place. Education seats are at a premium and if he's not going to be there long enough to test out and achieve a certificate/diploma while he's there, it hurts their stats for funding purposes.

There are plenty of ways to improve yourself during a bid that don't require the cooperation of the DOC. He can read books that interest him and write reaction papers. He can find correspondence courses for self improvement (check here for a list that are available in CA, look on their websites and see if they serve inmates in other states), he can self-study if someone is able to send him books.

I understand that none of that will earn him 20 days off, but if his point is to improve himself, he can start by showing initiative when a wall is thrown up in front of him. That will save him a whole lot of time in the future by avoiding the 'repeat offender' label.

Best of luck.