Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Member Introductions & Lone Star Lounge Please post your introduction here if you are involved with the Texas prison & criminal justice system, and join in non-prison related conversations with other people from your state.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Newbie with LO in Connally Unit.

Hey folks, I was going to just lurk around searching for information and not introduce myself, but the more I read the more I realized I have no idea what I am doing or what I'm supposed to do. I am new to this, across the board.

I followed an offender's case while he was in county awaiting trial. I had never met him and had no reason to "get into his business," but somehow his case got to me. A couple of months after he was moved from county to Byrd Unit (July 2018), I found the courage to reach out to him via letter. He responded positively and we have kept in touch ever since. He was recently moved to Connally Unit and has phone privileges, so we have gotten to talk several times. I have a visit planned for next Saturday, 10/27. I am being cautious but also feel he and I have built a friendship. I want to be a positive support for him and help him stay connected to the world while he's serving his time.

If anyone has an advice for a person who is new to this whole situation, I would love to hear it. I am especially interested in advice about visitation. I plan to call Connally Unit this week to see if there is someone I can talk to about what to expect and any ins-and-outs about visitation at that unit, specifically. It's not a short, easy trip. I don't want to get there and do something brainless that would prevent us from having a visit. I also don't want to be a nuisance for staff.

I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to learning more about this process and how I can be a better support for my LO.
Sponsored Links