Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:09 AM

Question Sentencing in 2 days - advice please!!

I'm getting sentenced on a federal case and a mandatory prison term is involved. I've been told by my attorney that the prosecutor is requesting immediate custody.

Do I have any chance of still being granted self surrender???

If I don't what is the process straight after sentencing? Will I get any time with my family?

What is the federal transport process like, is it as bad as they say? PLEASE BE HONEST.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,955 Times in 13,199 Posts

Self surrender is up to your sentencing judge, but having the AUSA arguing for an immediate remand to custody definitely doesn't help. Once its clear that you will be taken by the marshals, you will not be allowed to speak with your family. Be sure you only have what you want to take to prison with you when you enter the courtroom.

Transport to (eventually) your designated prison isn't fun, but some temporary stops along the way are much better than others. You will be able to call home from some of them, but not from others. The bop inmate locator will track your movements, but you won't know anything in advance of the actual trips.

The length of time it takes for you to get designated and moved to your home prison varies greatly too, the quicker the better, but you will have no control over that. Always remember that it will end,
Old 11-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Self surrender is up to your sentencing judge, but having the AUSA arguing for an immediate remand to custody definitely doesn't help. Once its clear that you will be taken by the marshals, you will not be allowed to speak with your family. Be sure you only have what you want to take to prison with you when you enter the courtroom.

Transport to (eventually) your designated prison isn't fun, but some temporary stops along the way are much better than others. You will be able to call home from some of them, but not from others. The bop inmate locator will track your movements, but you won't know anything in advance of the actual trips.

The length of time it takes for you to get designated and moved to your home prison varies greatly too, the quicker the better, but you will have no control over that. Always remember that it will end,
Thanks for the advice? What is the typical length of time transport takes and do you know what sortt if restraints I will have to be in?
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,038 Times in 7,671 Posts

Transport is generally jumpsuit, belly band, shackles, and handcuffs.

Dress courtroom appropriate, but leave your watch and most of the contents of your wallet with your family. Take out all piercings before you go to court. Do not wear anything you want to keep.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Transport is generally jumpsuit, belly band, shackles, and handcuffs.

Dress courtroom appropriate, but leave your watch and most of the contents of your wallet with your family. Take out all piercings before you go to court. Do not wear anything you want to keep.
Will those restraints be uncomfortable and do you know how long I am likely to be in them for?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

My trip to my designated prison took over 6 months, with trips all over the country, including 6 intermediate stops. But i was a "special case" known as someone deserving diesel therapy punishment, so many folks are abused for less time than I was.

If you initially get sent to one of the bop "jails" FDC, MDC, etc., it should take about a month for you to be designated to your home prison by the office in Grand Prairie, Texas. After that, it is totally up to the bop transportation office to schedule your itinerary, by con air and/or by bus, but it probably won't be by the most direct means. Mine started out with county jails for a week, FDC Miami for 2 months, USP Atlanta for one month, Oklahoma City for 6 weeks, USP Lewisburg, PA for 3 weeks, and then finally on to Loretto, PA. Every leg of the trip will be done in handcuffs, leg irons and belly chains. If anyone feels like it, add the dreaded "black box" handcuff security device and being housed in the SHU at each intermediate stop along the way. The buses have a locked section in the back for a CO with a shotgun, the bus Lieutenant has a handgun. The Con Air US Marshals are all armed too.

Uncomfortable for sure, with or without the black box, especially during nature breaks. The leg irons were especially painful.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 11-12-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
My trip to my designated prison took over 6 months, with trips all over the country, including 6 intermediate stops. But i was a "special case" known as someone deserving diesel therapy punishment, so many folks are abused for less time than I was.

If you initially get sent to one of the bop "jails" FDC, MDC, etc., it should take about a month for you to be designated to your home prison by the office in Grand Prairie, Texas. After that, it is totally up to the bop transportation office to schedule your itinerary, by con air and/or by bus, but it probably won't be by the most direct means. Mine started out with county jails for a week, FDC Miami for 2 months, USP Atlanta for one month, Oklahoma City for 6 weeks, USP Lewisburg, PA for 3 weeks, and then finally on to Loretto, PA. Every leg of the trip will be done in handcuffs, leg irons and belly chains. If anyone feels like it, add the dreaded "black box" handcuff security device and being housed in the SHU at each intermediate stop along the way. The buses have a locked section in the back for a CO with a shotgun, the bus Lieutenant has a handgun. The Con Air US Marshals are all armed too.

Uncomfortable for sure, with or without the black box, especially during nature breaks. The leg irons were especially painful.
Shit, i'll just have to kick it straight I guess.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Donation Award 

If you wear glasses, make sure you have them with you in court. Otherwise you'll be waiting for months before you can get a new "prison pair", and believe me, they are basic at best. I had to wait 6 months after sentencing before I got a pair.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 06:47 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:

Similar to my trip. County for 3 weeks, then 18-hour day transported to airport in another state, flown "Con Air" to OKC. Spent 2-1/2 weeks there during the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombing, then flown to PA, 3 days at Canaan, and then onto Loretto. 6-1/2 weeks in total from sentencing to Loretto. I was fortunate enough not to have the "black box".

Interesting thing - the friend of the boys that did the Boston Marathon bombing got 3 years and did his stint at Loretto when I was there.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:36 PM

Michael ~ I don't have much to add since I have never been to prison, but I know that so many are going through this every day, and you can do it, just like they can. I wish you all the best!
The Following User Says Thank You to mtbfan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-14-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 06:51 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael93 View Post
I'm getting sentenced on a federal case and a mandatory prison term is involved. I've been told by my attorney that the prosecutor is requesting immediate custody.

Do I have any chance of still being granted self surrender???

If I don't what is the process straight after sentencing? Will I get any time with my family?

What is the federal transport process like, is it as bad as they say? PLEASE BE HONEST.
Have you done a POA and got your financial matters set up to be taken care of?

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:21 AM

This will pass. I was where you were at in 2013. Now, this is all a distant memory. For you, soon it will be as well.

Keep you chin up. Dont offer any information to others. Mind your own business. Whatever term the judge has in mind - dont complain. Just do your time and look forward to the day this too will pass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-16-2019), jessesgirl1111 (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,405 Times in 1,991 Posts

I fear the OP did indeed get taken in at sentencing so is unable to read here.

At least now his time counts towards his sentence.
fbopnomore (11-16-2019), sidewalker (11-17-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I fear the OP did indeed get taken in at sentencing so is unable to read here.

At least now his time counts towards his sentence.
That's too bad. Hopefully it went as good as possible. Sometimes waiting is the worst part. I hope his time is short and goes quick as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Just be sure your attorney requests and argues (no issues on pretrial release, family support, etc.) for self surrender! It’s always up to the judge, and the prosecutors almost always argue for immediate custody. The upside of the downside of immediate custody is that your sentence starts getting shorter that day. Best of luck, and just always know that you can survive whatever comes your way.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM

Well it says he's online so who knows good luck with everything and hope everything works out for you
Old 11-16-2019, 11:27 PM

I was granted self surrender everyone. The bad part is my sentence is longer than I was hoping for. Pretty devastated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael93 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-17-2019), sidewalker (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Sorry about your sentence. but the only way to appreciate how fortunate you are to have avoided an immediate remand to custody would be if you weren't allowed to self surrender. Keep reminding yourself that this will end, and you will go home again.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael93 View Post
I was granted self surrender everyone. The bad part is my sentence is longer than I was hoping for. Pretty devastated.
Sorry to hear. At least you can plan, and this too shall pass. Best of luck to you.

Id like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.