Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Virginia that do not fit into any other Virginia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Faith , Hope & Love

Default Making a complaint regarding mistreatment of inmates

My LO recently had a incident at the prison and trying to make a complaint is very very difficult , he was injured by the security dog and maced then neglected medical attention for the injury and thrown in the hole. I have called the prison they are not giving me any information. I have escalated this to head office and been passed from pillar to post , so if anyone has the email or complaints address to send a complaint , please can you advise me?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,565 Times in 2,983 Posts

Hi there, I am not sure why you are trying to complain and escalate this on your LOs behalf. It is your LO who should be filing the complaint starting with his counsellor or unit team.
The prison is not going to give you any information even if you are a close relative they will not discuss this with you.
Is your loved one aware that you are trying to make this complaint on his behalf? It could be you are inadvertently making things worse for him as there can be retaliation.
Iwould make sure he has made a complaint through the appropriate chain of command and then escalte it further if he asks you to.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-18-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Faith , Hope & Love

Both me and his mom are complaining and seeking legal advice , he is aware and he is being withheld his complaints rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Hi there, I am not sure why you are trying to complain and escalate this on your LOs behalf. It is your LO who should be filing the complaint starting with his counsellor or unit team.
The prison is not going to give you any information even if you are a close relative they will not discuss this with you.
Is your loved one aware that you are trying to make this complaint on his behalf? It could be you are inadvertently making things worse for him as there can be retaliation.
Iwould make sure he has made a complaint through the appropriate chain of command and then escalte it further if he asks you to.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,565 Times in 2,983 Posts

If you are paying for legal advice then your attorney should tell you what your LO's options are. If he is in the hole he will be being investigated and he should be able to complain as part of that investigation process.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Faith , Hope & Love

Default Updates

After pushing and pushing the complaints from all angles , the situation is under investigation , we may not get the outcome we want but at least we got it to this far and the head quarters are looking into the circumstances.... we did not just give up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
My LO recently had a incident at the prison and trying to make a complaint is very very difficult , he was injured by the security dog and maced then neglected medical attention for the injury and thrown in the hole. I have called the prison they are not giving me any information. I have escalated this to head office and been passed from pillar to post , so if anyone has the email or complaints address to send a complaint , please can you advise me?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM

I had to file a complaint on my husbands behalf when he was at Nottoway. I used the contact form on the DOC website but I also contacted my delegate and congressional member, the governors office, sent the information to about 100 news outlets and anybody else I could think of.

As far as our LO's filing complaints...the grievance process is an absolute joke. I hope you get the outcome that you seek! Good luck with this.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Faith , Hope & Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amm41400 View Post
I had to file a complaint on my husbands behalf when he was at Nottoway. I used the contact form on the DOC website but I also contacted my delegate and congressional member, the governors office, sent the information to about 100 news outlets and anybody else I could think of.

As far as our LO's filing complaints...the grievance process is an absolute joke. I hope you get the outcome that you seek! Good luck with this.
Thank you for this , its very insightful , the complaint process is still going on and still waiting , but its in action so that is the main point. Good Idea about the news outlets , I went to the head office as well , the prison is already under scrutiny for how it treats inmates.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
Thank you for this , its very insightful , the complaint process is still going on and still waiting , but its in action so that is the main point. Good Idea about the news outlets , I went to the head office as well , the prison is already under scrutiny for how it treats inmates.
I know. My husband had an asthma attack and almost died on the yard because multiple CO's ignored him over the summer. I raised hell for about a week, got a call from the warden about it the following week and the next day he was on the bus. I think the delegate for my area was the best contact I had made at the time. They followed up multiple times and ultimately I told them that even though my husband was moved, this isn't a once off thing at Nottoway and I wanted them to look into it for everyone else's benefit as well.

The best advice I can give you though is that if you're going through this process, make sure that this is the worst case scenario. I don't regret getting my husband moved at all, but after he was moved from Nottoway he was at Haynesville (his reentry spot) for a few months and then somehow wound up getting shoved into a program down in Indian Creek and it's 10000000 times worse than any other place to date. He's been harassed and threatened since he got there by his caseworker and program director for asking questions (he has no substance abuse history in the last decade, no failed drug tests and no drug charges).
Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Faith , Hope & Love

I have been writing blogs regarding this particular threads , now let me tell you ... yes it is hard work but it is definitely worth the persistence , my LO has finally been transferred I got to see him and hes got a chance to a fresh start to help his time now.