Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Virginia that do not fit into any other Virginia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Mimzy's Avatar
Mimzy Mimzy is offline
Faith , Hope & Love
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London United Kingdom
Posts: 38
Thanks: 28
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default Making a complaint regarding mistreatment of inmates

My LO recently had a incident at the prison and trying to make a complaint is very very difficult , he was injured by the security dog and maced then neglected medical attention for the injury and thrown in the hole. I have called the prison they are not giving me any information. I have escalated this to head office and been passed from pillar to post , so if anyone has the email or complaints address to send a complaint , please can you advise me?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 PM
maytayah's Avatar
maytayah maytayah is online now
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: England Uk
Posts: 5,150
Thanks: 4,754
Thanked 6,565 Times in 2,983 Posts
Default

Hi there, I am not sure why you are trying to complain and escalate this on your LOs behalf. It is your LO who should be filing the complaint starting with his counsellor or unit team.
The prison is not going to give you any information even if you are a close relative they will not discuss this with you.
Is your loved one aware that you are trying to make this complaint on his behalf? It could be you are inadvertently making things worse for him as there can be retaliation.
Iwould make sure he has made a complaint through the appropriate chain of command and then escalte it further if he asks you to.
__________________
"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again." Nelson Mandela.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (09-18-2016)
  #3  
Old 09-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Mimzy's Avatar
Mimzy Mimzy is offline
Faith , Hope & Love
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London United Kingdom
Posts: 38
Thanks: 28
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Both me and his mom are complaining and seeking legal advice , he is aware and he is being withheld his complaints rights





Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Hi there, I am not sure why you are trying to complain and escalate this on your LOs behalf. It is your LO who should be filing the complaint starting with his counsellor or unit team.
The prison is not going to give you any information even if you are a close relative they will not discuss this with you.
Is your loved one aware that you are trying to make this complaint on his behalf? It could be you are inadvertently making things worse for him as there can be retaliation.
Iwould make sure he has made a complaint through the appropriate chain of command and then escalte it further if he asks you to.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2016, 02:59 PM
maytayah's Avatar
maytayah maytayah is online now
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: England Uk
Posts: 5,150
Thanks: 4,754
Thanked 6,565 Times in 2,983 Posts
Default

If you are paying for legal advice then your attorney should tell you what your LO's options are. If he is in the hole he will be being investigated and he should be able to complain as part of that investigation process.
__________________
"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again." Nelson Mandela.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Mimzy's Avatar
Mimzy Mimzy is offline
Faith , Hope & Love
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London United Kingdom
Posts: 38
Thanks: 28
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default Updates

After pushing and pushing the complaints from all angles , the situation is under investigation , we may not get the outcome we want but at least we got it to this far and the head quarters are looking into the circumstances.... we did not just give up....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
My LO recently had a incident at the prison and trying to make a complaint is very very difficult , he was injured by the security dog and maced then neglected medical attention for the injury and thrown in the hole. I have called the prison they are not giving me any information. I have escalated this to head office and been passed from pillar to post , so if anyone has the email or complaints address to send a complaint , please can you advise me?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Amm41400 Amm41400 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I had to file a complaint on my husbands behalf when he was at Nottoway. I used the contact form on the DOC website but I also contacted my delegate and congressional member, the governors office, sent the information to about 100 news outlets and anybody else I could think of.

As far as our LO's filing complaints...the grievance process is an absolute joke. I hope you get the outcome that you seek! Good luck with this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Mimzy's Avatar
Mimzy Mimzy is offline
Faith , Hope & Love
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London United Kingdom
Posts: 38
Thanks: 28
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amm41400 View Post
I had to file a complaint on my husbands behalf when he was at Nottoway. I used the contact form on the DOC website but I also contacted my delegate and congressional member, the governors office, sent the information to about 100 news outlets and anybody else I could think of.

As far as our LO's filing complaints...the grievance process is an absolute joke. I hope you get the outcome that you seek! Good luck with this.
Thank you for this , its very insightful , the complaint process is still going on and still waiting , but its in action so that is the main point. Good Idea about the news outlets , I went to the head office as well , the prison is already under scrutiny for how it treats inmates.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Amm41400 Amm41400 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
Thank you for this , its very insightful , the complaint process is still going on and still waiting , but its in action so that is the main point. Good Idea about the news outlets , I went to the head office as well , the prison is already under scrutiny for how it treats inmates.
I know. My husband had an asthma attack and almost died on the yard because multiple CO's ignored him over the summer. I raised hell for about a week, got a call from the warden about it the following week and the next day he was on the bus. I think the delegate for my area was the best contact I had made at the time. They followed up multiple times and ultimately I told them that even though my husband was moved, this isn't a once off thing at Nottoway and I wanted them to look into it for everyone else's benefit as well.

The best advice I can give you though is that if you're going through this process, make sure that this is the worst case scenario. I don't regret getting my husband moved at all, but after he was moved from Nottoway he was at Haynesville (his reentry spot) for a few months and then somehow wound up getting shoved into a program down in Indian Creek and it's 10000000 times worse than any other place to date. He's been harassed and threatened since he got there by his caseworker and program director for asking questions (he has no substance abuse history in the last decade, no failed drug tests and no drug charges).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Mimzy's Avatar
Mimzy Mimzy is offline
Faith , Hope & Love
 

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London United Kingdom
Posts: 38
Thanks: 28
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I have been writing blogs regarding this particular threads , now let me tell you ... yes it is hard work but it is definitely worth the persistence , my LO has finally been transferred I got to see him and hes got a chance to a fresh start to help his time now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
complaint, inmate mistreatment, virginia

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making a complaint/Husband should be in re-entry phase and isn't monimonimo California General Prison Talk 8 05-26-2016 11:31 AM
Mistreatment of inmates mallen369 Wisconsin Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail 7 09-29-2011 11:27 PM
Any thoughts on mistreatment of inmates? pbandk Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 20 04-06-2011 08:11 AM
Need Advice about making a complaint in county jail JCJP2009 California: County & City Jail Discussions 12 12-03-2009 07:32 PM
state fired me after making complaint about discrimination msedwards PTO Lounge 28 06-17-2006 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics