Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Probation, Parole, ERS, ISP, & ICC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Probation, Parole, ERS, ISP, & ICC Topics & discussion related to probation, parole, ERS, ISP, & ICC in Mississippi. All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Mississippi should be posted here.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Is there such a thing in Mississippi as "Shock Probation", can only find info for Ohio on it, seems the term has been changed to "Judicial Release". Anybody got any information on this kind of release, or have a web addy I could go to? Appreciate any info. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 PM

newrelease, your story is mine exactly except we've been here 2 yrs longer. I want to know too.
"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me...to bind up and heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the [physical and spiritual] captives and the opening of the prison and of the eyes to those who are bound."
Isaiah 61:1
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Day by Day

I have a question on this subject, I am from Illinois and Mississippi is just diffrent. what is the diffrence between ERS and Parol? when you come up for ERS do you got to go infront of the parol board?

Life is full of changes... I just roll with em'
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Day by Day

ok i found my own answer to my own question, now i got another one. i got his time sheet the other day. he is trustee satus he gets 30 for 30 and he gets met time. he is up to like 71 days there. also gots 355 days from county so the way he writes it he has 13mths till he can get out on ERS. can he go to the parol board before that time or does he even have to go to the board?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 AM

If he is eligible for ERS, it will be granted if all requirements are met for the outside world - it will start with an audit of his record to make sure he is eligible (make sure you understand these requirements - I think they are on the MDOC website somewhere). Then, he must meet housing requirements which I believe include moving in with a responsible person and having a telephone with no buzzes and whistles such as call-forwarding. It must be a phone that plug into the wall - not a cell phone. He must live in MS for the entire time on ERS and cannot cross the state line - there are curfew hours and if they call, he better be there. He will lose the 30-30 while on ERS and serve the remaining time in MS. Good Luck! JG
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnG77777 For This Useful Post:
ahannah1561 (04-09-2008)
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Day by Day

thanks john, now let me ask you this. yesterday he got classified to MOB and has 13pts and 8 months rvr free. he works in the library and goes to night school, are there any other programs availible that can bring him home sooner. what about going back to the judge who ruled his case and asking for a reduced sentence? he has done over 1/2 his senence (without any earned time) he has gotten his GED and drug and achohol classes.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,587 Times in 3,621 Posts

I would suggest asking for a sentence reduction, but I would say your best bet his him hitting A custody and trying for Parole under the new law that just passed
Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM

Dear Jonathan,

I would like to know what my husband chances of getting parole. He has 1 possession of a firearm charge and 2 simple possession to cocaine. He was sentenced to 13 years. He has served 2 years already. He is A restricted, currently attending Drug and Alcohol and has been RVR free for 2 years. Furthermore, do you know what method of selecting the inmates the parole board is going by. The new law requires nonviolent offenders to do 1/4 of their time so 1/4 of 13 will be 3 years and a couple of months and if that's the case in August of this year he will have done 4 years and some odd months with his trusty time. So what do you think we need to do about getting him to go before the parole board?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

I do not know the method of selction, I believe it is automated.

As for his eligibility, it sounds as if he is on the right track. He needs to enter all the programs that he can, and stay on the right track.

If he stays at A custody his chances are improved.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 AM

Default New law

where can I find the new law that passed on the 85%. Does anyone have the name or number for that law. I think it passed just recently. Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Mississippi senate bill 2136 is the new law that passed on April 9, 2008.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm confused though. I am supporting a boy at Walnut Grove (not Jones, another inmate) who took a 4-1/2 year plea deal for 2 counts of armed robbery. He was I believe 14 or 15 years old at the time. Anyway, he says that his case manager told him a couple of weeks ago that he is eligible under the new law for early release (85% law). His release date is 7-17-09 and he is now saying she told him he could be released in December, 08 (about 6 months early). He had no information, not even the Bill name or number but did say his case manager told him it applied to him.

I'm wondering, how can it? Isn't armed robbery considered a violent offense. His parents are of no help and are indifferent to him being released early. I told him I would try to find something out, but I feel that truthfully, how can it apply to him? Could he have been classified as non-violent somehow during the plea or sentencing? He was defended by the Farese Law Firm, TN- which I know has quite a reputation. Can anyone help me with this? Did they somehow get him a non-violent offender status during the plea? Do you think I would need to contact the firm?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM

Red face New law signed by Gov. Barbour recently concerning 25%

I understand that the Gov. of Mississippi just signed a new law about the first time non-violent offenders being eligible for parole after serving 25% of sentence. I have been trying to find this law but have been unable to get a number for it. Does anyone have this information? Would appreciate a copy of this law.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 PM

i am not aware of a signed bill recently meeting this criteria
These are a few of the recently signed bills.:

SB2039
- Removes the cap on meritorious earned time.
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/200.../SB/SB2039.xml

SB2880
- Intensive supervision; remove 1-year limitation on placement and the restriction on placing certain drug offenders in the program.
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/200.../SB/SB2880.xml

the link to search for those bills whether alive or not is:
in the HOUSE Of REP
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/h_cmte.xml
in the SENATE
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/s_cmte.xml

GO to "corrections" at each link.

Also there are current ER( early release) paroles being allowed only if suggested by the Parole Board from MDOC recommendation. the indication was under 1k inmates , if I remember correctly.

Search the archives here and for ER and those threads can be located.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriner View Post
I understand that the Gov. of Mississippi just signed a new law about the first time non-violent offenders being eligible for parole after serving 25% of sentence. I have been trying to find this law but have been unable to get a number for it. Does anyone have this information? Would appreciate a copy of this law.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Donation Award 

Default Early Release

Based on these two Bills would my fiance be eligible for early release. She is serving a 5yr sentence for Mfg. of Meth; convicted December 2008. She is presently at BCRCF for Long Term A/D program. She has been assigned work at Delta State awaiting her program that starts in September 2009. Her parole date is March 2010.

Can she be approved for early release and placed on house arrest until
parole date? I imagine this would have to be approved by parole committee via MDOC. Am I correct or incorrect? maddogg10
Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Donation Award 

Default Senate Bill # 2039, 2880

Thanks again for info, although, per Bill # 2039, and #2880 considered in 2009 were signed by Governor Haly Barbour. I believe both of these bills pertain to non-violent crimes. #2880 refers to certain drug related crimes. Mfg. of meth was considered violent but is now non-violent. Also Jonathen, a crime of this nature falls into a category for only doing 25% of sentence. This is when parole hearing would take place. A long term A/D program has been court ordered but will not start until September 2009, in which program was missed May 2009. Is there a possibility for ERS or ISP if parole board were to hear a case prior to completing 25%? The crime was committed Nov. 2008 in which incarceration began. MET time and good behavior, no RVR's, during time spent prior to A/D I hope would warrent a early hearing by parole committee. Is this the case? Also one other question, would prior felony convictions with no incarceration hinder ERS or ISP possibilities. There was no mention in these two bills, #2039, #2880, as a hinderence for ERS or ISP by parole board via MDOC. This crime was introduced as a first time offence.

Thanks again for your info, but does your info apply to #2039 and #2880 which were passed in 2009? Regards. maddogg10

ps: Would having an attorney submit a request to parole committee and/or MDOC for possible ERS or ISP?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM

Welcome----
I am confused with your question of :but does your info apply to #2039 and #2880 which were passed in 2009?'

what is 'Your info"....?

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg10 View Post
Thanks again for info, although, per Bill # 2039, and #2880 considered in 2009 were signed by Governor Haly Barbour. I believe both of these bills pertain to non-violent crimes. #2880 refers to certain drug related crimes. Mfg. of meth was considered violent but is now non-violent. Also Jonathen, a crime of this nature falls into a category for only doing 25% of sentence. This is when parole hearing would take place. A long term A/D program has been court ordered but will not start until September 2009, in which program was missed May 2009. Is there a possibility for ERS or ISP if parole board were to hear a case prior to completing 25%? The crime was committed Nov. 2008 in which incarceration began. MET time and good behavior, no RVR's, during time spent prior to A/D I hope would warrent a early hearing by parole committee. Is this the case? Also one other question, would prior felony convictions with no incarceration hinder ERS or ISP possibilities. There was no mention in these two bills, #2039, #2880, as a hinderence for ERS or ISP by parole board via MDOC. This crime was introduced as a first time offence.

Thanks again for your info, but does your info apply to #2039 and #2880 which were passed in 2009? Regards. maddogg10

ps: Would having an attorney submit a request to parole committee and/or MDOC for possible ERS or ISP?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 AM

also, to help you clarify if your loved one is eligible for ERS or other possible parole options, you can call or write Stephanie Skipper of MDOC-

Phone # 601-354-7716

email is : sskipper@mdoc.state.ms.us
The Following User Says Thank You to msearp99 For This Useful Post:
PTO-29412 (05-07-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Donation Award 

Default Letters

Hey Jonathan,

My fiance has been placed on the docket for early release and be placed on house arrest(ISP). She is still waiting for approval from a certain committee with decision. Approval or not should be soon. The date for release is June 13, 2009.

I have a few questions. Will her release be granted when she is still awaiting A/D program to start in September? Will approval be denied if A/D is court ordered?

Per this info, if denied would a letter form me or my attorney be helpful in putting her on ISP on the June date? Regarding letter after non-approval could we suggest doing A/D outside at a state funded certified center? This would also be long term A/D program.

Final question, who would the letter go to at CMCF, head of House Arrest Committee? This letter would not mention the court ordered issue or parole date set. If denied it would only include a request base on her MET( good behavior, no RVR's).

I pray each day that she is approved.

Thanks for a reply.

Regards,

maddogg10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
You must improve on what he was denied on.

If it was no community support - then got pastors, lawyers, friends, family to write recommendation letters.

Not served enough time - you cannot do much about

The letters are a good thinkg to do regardless - as that will help him. His chances varys - also depends on if he has anyone writing the parole board from a victims point of view - which if they write and show objection to his release then he would likely be denied.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 PM

I have a question for Jonathon. My friend was incarcerated in dec. 08. She went in on a dui-death charge. What are the possibilities for her on parole? She recieved 7 years and is recieving 30/30 as of now. Thank you for any helpful info. Also is there anything that I can do to help get her Paroled?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

First Question.

It all depends on the judges orders. If she is ordered to complete A&D then she may have to stay untill that is completed.

I cannot answer this questions, as there is really no way of knowing the outcome
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craziesmo View Post
I have a question for Jonathon. My friend was incarcerated in dec. 08. She went in on a dui-death charge. What are the possibilities for her on parole? She recieved 7 years and is recieving 30/30 as of now. Thank you for any helpful info. Also is there anything that I can do to help get her Paroled?

It is a 50/50 chance.

She needs to show remorse for her crimes. They will take all incarceration history into account. RVR's, etc.

about 3 months before the Parole hearing you should have Recommendation letters sent on her behalf. You, family, community leaders, pastors, lawyers, doctors, anyone you know with a respected position in the community.

THis increases the chance of Parole.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:39 PM

Your friend should request a "SENTENCE COMPUTATION SHEET".
This will show dates, parole dates and/or ERS dates ( if applicable.)

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craziesmo View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to msearp99 For This Useful Post:
PTO-29412 (05-14-2009)
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogg10 View Post
Hey Jonathan,

My fiance has been placed on the docket for early release and be placed on house arrest(ISP). She is still waiting for approval from a certain committee with decision. Approval or not should be soon. The date for release is June 13, 2009.

I have a few questions. Will her release be granted when she is still awaiting A/D program to start in September? Will approval be denied if A/D is court ordered?

Per this info, if denied would a letter form me or my attorney be helpful in putting her on ISP on the June date? Regarding letter after non-approval could we suggest doing A/D outside at a state funded certified center? This would also be long term A/D program.

Final question, who would the letter go to at CMCF, head of House Arrest Committee? This letter would not mention the court ordered issue or parole date set. If denied it would only include a request base on her MET( good behavior, no RVR's).

I pray each day that she is approved.

Thanks for a reply.

Regards,

maddogg10
The court order A/D can b a tricky thing. Does the court order say attend or complete? If it just states attend, I've seen inmates go 2 or 3 weeks and be shipped out. It is possible to do your A/D treatment on the outside, while on ISP or parole.
The Following User Says Thank You to papatom For This Useful Post:
maddogg10 (05-19-2009)
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 AM

Default parole ?

Hi I'm really confused my boyfriend was convicted for the sale of marijuana and was sentenced to 15 years with 8 suspended in which he has to serve 7 years with 5 on parole how long will he have to serve in prison. He began serving his sentence Sept. 19, 2008.