Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 07-13-2004, 03:01 PM

Default new sentencing reform

I have call the federal prison board and the lady told me that usually what happen to at the federal lever regarding prison effect state prison also so I went to yahoo.com then put in federal sentencing reform and yes there will be some reform starting in november first it's a lot of information and I work third shift so I won't go into it please go to this sight I think that you all will be pleased may God Bless us all.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Account Closed

what site?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:28 PM

I think she is talking about going to yahoo.com and searching "prison reform 2004" try it and let us know if it works.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Account Closed

Im seeing lots and lots of sites to search. Anyone else tried it???
Old 07-13-2004, 10:40 PM
My Heart Belongs to Him

I tried-but I don't know exactly what to look for
Old 07-14-2004, 09:47 AM

If you go to www.ussc.gov you will see the site I think she is referring to. I looked at the guidelines and it looks to me like it is a basis for sentencing of convictions after Nov 2004 and not for any convictions before that. If someone else sees something that I didn't please let me know. I think we all would love to see something that would reduce the time our significant others are already serving.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 AM

Thanks so much for the shortcut, Twistedsister
Old 07-14-2004, 03:15 PM
My Heart Belongs to Him

Hello Ladies...

Well I got a letter from Jaocb today and he said that they were watching the news and from what they understand the state is trying to pass the 35% law for all prisoners on the 18th of this month. He wasn't to sure though so lets try not to get our hopes up too high....Have any of your men heard this???
Old 07-14-2004, 06:57 PM
Account Closed

Well girls - here's what I've heard and read. I went to some site involving pending legislation in Il. when my guy first heard the RUMOR. There is no such pending legislaton that I can find. And being a newspaper reporter I'm pretty good at tracking down this stuff. I really wanted to find it too, but I don't believe it exists. I was told, I don't remember by whom, that it's one of the oldest jailhouse rumors that's circulated for a long time. Disappointing, yes!! And our guys all get their hopes up!! And us!!! Perhaps we should organize a group and approach a state legislator or two that would be sympathetic to our cause. Perhaps 35% for non-violent crimes or something. The prison system is pathetically underfunded and overspent and it's getting worse Blago knows something must be done. Inmates are double, triple and quadruple housed and live like the ghetto and cost upwards of $l8,000 a year to be held on stupid @#$% that would've been a hand-slap before. Enhanced misdeamnors and enhanced sentencing is BS and contributes to the problem. There's no $$$$ for rehabilatation. County sends them to state time to get rid of them - not their problem. And being a taxpayer it pisses me off the money these CO's make and cry about to sit on their fat a#$#$% all day and talk about losing their jobs because of cutbacks. How ironic!! If they actually worked , 2/3 's of them could be eliminated. 80% of cases are drug-related. The G can find a license plate by satellite of a jeep in the Iraqi desert but can't stop the coke from coming into this country? BBBBBBSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! There's too much ##$%^^ money in the judicial, law enforcement and prison systems to every try to stop drug traffic. These systems and thousands of employees feed off the drug war to make a living. You're damned right drugs are big business!!! BY THE WAY, THE PROSCECUTOR WHO CONVICTED MY GUY WAS JUST EXPOSED AS BEING A COKE-HEAD HIMSELF AND BUYING FROM INFORMANTS. THEY BLABBED AND I HOPE HE WINDS UP IN STATESVILLE. HE'S ALREADY BEEN THROUGH REHAB AND DIDN'T STOP. IF YOU LIVE IN ILL YOU MAY SOON HEAR ALL ABOUT IT. IT WILL BE A BIG EXPOSE!!!!
If you want to investigate further I think I did a search for Il legislation - prisons and could find nothing in the many bills pending. I doubt if any correspondence will be answered from the State as they're much too busy committing their own felonies and ripping off the State - those are the real CRIMINALS!!!! THE ONLY REASON GOV. RYAN COMMUTED ALL THOSE DEATH ROW-ERS WAS TOO ENSURE THEY'D GO EASY ON HIM WHEN HE'S FINALLY CONVICTED AND SENTENCED!!!!!!
WHEWWWWWW --------- I THINK I'M THROUGH..........
Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Account Closed

"THE ONLY REASON GOV. RYAN COMMUTED ALL THOSE DEATH ROW-ERS WAS TOO ENSURE THEY'D GO EASY ON HIM WHEN HE'S FINALLY CONVICTED AND SENTENCED!!!!!!"

Not to be the party pooper-but in support of those here on PTO with loved ones that were on death row, I think its only fair to say that maybe someone did see the flaws in the system and that maybe there are some innocent ones that were on the Row. I was never that fond of Ryan, but Im thinking that statement was pretty unfair to the row guys that deserved to be off.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Account Closed

sorry lizzi - I'll take my foot out of my mouth! I not only sympathize with you but I'm currently working on a case to get a new trial for a very high-profile death row inmate. I guess my anger got the best of me. Rolando Cruz is a prime example amongst many others. The system in Illinois Is a disgrace and Ryan recognized it. It's just too bad he didn't do anything sooner or do more. The county state's attorneys are the real bad guys. They want convictions so badly they don't bother with fair trials - they hide evidence, let cops lie, etc. and turn the cheek. The more convictions the better their chances at moving up the political ladder. How do they sleep at night? Sorry if I misspoke without clarifying my statement. Ryan understood the corruptness of our State judicial system!!!!! Apologies if I sounded as if I didn't believe they deserved to be commuted - I detest the death penalty!!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Account Closed

I am with you on that, Liz. Ryan worked for years with a commission studying those who received death sentences and he found too many inconsistencies to let the sentences stand. He was absolutely correct in his assessment that the way death penalties are handed out is both "arbitrary and capricious." If you want to be an activist, go after the courts regarding any and all Apprendi issues, including the recent Blakely decision by the USSC. Raise your voice to the issue of federal sentencing guidelines and bring it before the public. The woeful fact is, the VAST majority of Americans don't know anything about what goes on in our judicial system, from the police station to the courts to the prisons. And until more of the mainstream public becomes informed and involved, lawmakers and law enforcers at every level of government will continue to ride roughshod over anyone suspect and/or convicted of a crime. I have said it several times before and I will continue to say this: the current republican administration has to change. If Bush gets re-elected, the Supreme Court is in serious, serious trouble and we can all forget about any kind of sentencing reform or anything that could potentially benefit anyone currently incarcerated. At this point, I would vote for ANYONE on the Democratic ticket.

And that 3 for 1, 35% rumor surfaces every few months. Having said that, Supreme Court Justice Kennedy is actively fighting for sentencing reform as well as parole/pardons/clemency reforms. Let's just hope the no one dies on the Court while Bush is still in office.

jims
Old 07-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Account Closed

Unfortnately the mainstream public doesn't care until it happens to them and then they're shocked to find out that in this great land of liberty you're guilty until you can prove yourself innocent. Too many over-zealous proscecutors and too many lazy lawyers. In my county PD stands for prison deliverer not public defender. They have too many cases to actually try them. Plea bargains are threats. Lawyers with clout, which is what matters, are ridiculously too expensive for plain folk.And if you are found not guilty your life is usually ruined financially anyway. People don't understand until they've lived it and can't do anything about it. Bush hasn't done one thing to impress me nor did his father - my vote will be democratic.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks you, ladies for supporting Ryan. Of course, as you know me, you'll know I supported his decision.

It's all very noble and good to support the 'high profile' cases, and I applaud those who do, but what about all the other innocents who are now left without legal assistance. EVERYONE wants to support the 'high profile' cases and those same people have forgotten all the others. They don't exist and they're being left to rot, just like all those other innocents who are serving life for crimes they didn't commit. You have a system that stinks and nobody can smell it. Plus the ex-Row guys are now the subject of vendettas by some IDOC staff and their lives are a living hell, they live under constant strain and stress and some are singled out for even more 'special' treatment. 17 released from the Row, being found to have been wrongly convicted, 18 if you count Steidl, who was released a few weeks ago. Not a good record and we all know there are others throughout the IDOC. Sorry, seems I've got on the soapbox but this is an issue that's very close to me, and to my friends, one that causes me and mine so much pain and anguish that I had to say something.

Rose

Last edited by Rostonhall; 07-15-2004 at 02:17 AM..
Old 07-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Banned

I just want to add, that of couse a government official can make some right decisions, but still have a drug problem themselves, or make some wrong decisions. Gov Ryan found out about enough cases with a lot of problems, that he commuted their sentences. He did it at the end of his term, when they couldn't do much about it! Still there was that case recently trying to reverse it. They would have run him out I think if he had done it earlier.
I agree that the American public knows very little about our justice system. However, I think blacks are more informed. If you look at the racial statistics of how many black men have spent time in prison, it is easy to see why the black community is aware of the injustices, having heard many stories about beating suspects to confess, planted evidence, etc, etc, over and over again. It is like many of us have said over and over, that until you have a loved one go to prison, you don't really learn about it. White people just don't have as much experience with being treated unjustly in the justice system! They are more likely to get a private attorney. Probably in most cases they are treated more fairly by the police when arrested and investigated.
This is my opinion, but once you have a job in a "system" it is hard to do the right and best thing all the time. There are so many pressures to keep the status quo. I worked for my non profit agency under two years. I saw little trees growing out of the roof of our shelters for teens. I was an insurance agent for 15 years before this, and inspected houses and buildings that I wrote policies on. Two kids on my case load had gone there and I visited them. I was appalled at the conditions. I found out who was in charge of the funding, etc for those homes. I wanted to inform him about the need for a new roof and some other things like no window coverings. I went to my boss to find out who was in charge, and she said SHE would handle it. She said I could not discuss it with him directly. Later, she was vague when I asked what happened. They made a lot of money on these homes and they were full all the time. I am giving this story as just a little example of how people get comfortable with their salaries, their new cars, and then are afraid to rock the boat. You hardly notice the leash that was put over your neck when you started working . Or that gag ball over your mouth. It is an unusal person that does the ethical thing despite unpleasant consequences and who stand up for what is right even if it isn't their family member or themselves that are affected. I think everyone of us who has had a job for any length of time, understands this. You learn to be quiet, to just get along, or your job is threatened.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Account Closed

Rost - first point - I am not "supporting" a high-profile case - I'm investigating a conviction and death sentence in a high-profile case that is an injustice. Someone was set up and convicted with not one shred of evidence while police investigators and proscecutors lied and suppressed evidence. I became involved through the law school that is representing this inmate for free. I don't know everyone on death row personally to help try to overturn every case. But what I am doing could help other wrongly convicted persons get new trials. I can't tell you the case but it won't be long til it hits the news and it's a shocker!! I can tell you this - the chief justice of the Il Supreme Court is a dissenter and I hope he stays that way!! We need more justices like him - who isn't afraid to put his neck out.
CET - I don't go along to get along - I'm putting myself at risk when I get involved in these matters but that's my job. Two witnesses have already been shot to shut them up and there's a huge cover-up going on and it's so political it's sickening. I'm not trying to be "noble" I'm trying to expose a massively corrupt segment of our judicial system and bring attention to ALL INMATES wrongfully convicted - because if they are truly innocent there were MISTAKES made in their trial!!!
I don't want to seem argumentative but I don't believe a proscecutor in a high-profile murder case should be using and buying drugs from his star witness. I don't think any proscecutor should have a job convicting other people for the same laws that he's permitted to break himself and get away with and have covered up by his superiors. I wish to could tell you more but I can't right now.
However, if any of you have loved ones that are truly innocent there are places to get help - free help - if you'd like to tell me about them maybe I can help or steer you in the right direction. One thing I'm not is quiet
Old 07-15-2004, 11:48 PM
Banned

You have to have a lot of courage in life to do the right thing, no matter what! I have often spoken out about injustices in life, but other times, wanted to keep my job! Good for you dazzler. My man is innocent. I got a referral to a criminal def atty from a man I am on the Mn against the death penalty with. He is supposed to visit E at stateville tomorrow morning. He gives me messages from his friends sometimes, who say they are innocent. I sent one man the address for the Northwestern law school that was listed on the innocence project a few days ago. But I had gotten E addresses and he had done a lot of letter writing, before I found an attorney.
Am I being forgetful? Wasn't there already some press about this? The part about the prosecutor buying drugs from the witness seems familiar.
I guess I gave that example, because it is so easy for corruption to creep into a system.

Last edited by CET; 07-15-2004 at 11:57 PM..
Old 07-16-2004, 02:19 AM
Donation Award 

Dazzler, I've PM'd you

Rose
Old 07-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Account Closed

Dazzler -- the Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court is Mary Ann McMorrow, a woman. We need more justices like HER.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Account Closed

CET - yes a little has been reported by Chicago NBC news if you have heard about it. But then the reporter, a friend, took a slap after the informant retracted his story. That's when I got involved because I knew some first-hand info that backed her up. He was threatened to shut up and re-arrested on a phony charge! He was shot up pretty bad after telling his story. It's an incredible story!!! I was at Stateville all day - 10a.m. to 2:45. I sat in the visitors area for 2 1/2 hours waiting for my visit - I saw ONE very distinguised looking older man that was out of place -with paperwork and knew he was a lawyer - I hope he was your guy's lawyer!!!!!! Ever try Chicago Kent Law School??? They are really incredible!!!! They leave no stone unturned. Look up Richard Klinger, professor there! Are you in this area or is Mn Minnesota??? Do you get Chicago-area newscasts or the Tribune???
Old 07-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Banned

Gee, yes his attorney was there about noon. He is a retired PD who went out on his own. E said he gave good vibes and he liked him. He had read part of the trial transcript already. He says that the letter that the witness wrote me back, is very important, even if he won't talk. In his letter he states that he told the police when he was in the hospital after being shot that it was not E. They brought a mug shot of E. Then the police went back to E and said the guy ID"d him.
I am in St Paul. I was really anxious to talk to E afterwards, and also so nervous. I was afraid of hearing yet another person say there is no hope. Of course the ones who tell me that don't know the case. My daughter, who is an atty was very discouraging.
I don't get the Chicago Tribune, but I have yahoo news set up to get a lot of criminal and prison news. I think it was on the 10pm news. maybe it was a similar case? not sure. I haven't heard of that law school, no.
Did I mention that I found out a woman from my little church is on the innocence project? I was amazed. I hope to learn a lot more.
Life is good. I might get my bearings back. thanks for your info dazzler.
Why did you have to wait 2 1/2 hours for your visit? that is nuts!

Last edited by CET; 07-16-2004 at 10:04 PM..
Old 07-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Account Closed

Hey Cet - I'm sure the guy I saw was your attorney guy - it was about noon. I don't know why - they said the tables were full and they'd get us as soon as one opened. That didn't happen - they waited till all the tables were empty and took everyone at once. Okay - now tell me about the innocence project please!!! I'm not familiar with it - I guess I'm in my own world....
Old 07-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Account Closed

CET - Can I help in any way? I know my way around the courts, etc. I like getting people to talk when they don't want to - anybody hiding anything??? Any records sealed?? I will say a prayer for you and E and his new hope.. NEVER give up HOPE...If you have no faith you have nothing....