Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Washington that do not fit into any other Washington sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Jjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Welcome to PTO!!

Shelton is used for classifications and testing, so there isn't alot you would want to send until he has been transfered to his final destination. And you won't know that until he has been moved. So, for now... letters, letters, letters!!

Visiting hours will depend on which Unit he will be placed. If he goes to R4, as most do, the visiting hours are Friday 4:15pm to 7:45 pm; Saturday 10:15 am to 12:30 pm; Sunday 4:15 pm to 7:45 pm. I don't know the schedule for the other units.

Generally, visits will be no contact (behind glass) visits. It is hard to be so close and not be able to give hugs, but I found the semi privacy great!! I would twirl and do Happy Dances!! Something frowned on in contact visiting rooms!!

If you want to visit, your brother will have to send you a visiting form and you will need to be preapproved.

All you really can do now is wait to hear from your brother as to which unit he is in.
Right now, all you can do is wait.

If you have anymore quesitons... just ask!!
Thanks for the response. I am not sure what unit he will be placed in, but I will definately be sending him some letters during his transition. I guess the visiting is no different than where he is now huh? He is currently in the Kent Regional Justice Center. And well we haven't been able to hug him since November 2002 (when this nightmare began).

I got a phone number off the website, will they be able to provide information if needed? And if so, are they somewhat friendly? And how do I know what counselor is going to be assigned to him? I guess I can get that information from my brother huh?

And I am kind of curious (way off the subject) about his appeal. Does anyone know how long it takes them to assign him an appeal attorney, and when do they finally meet? Does it take months for all of that?

Again, thanks for the responses.. Just trying to make sense of this mess...
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Donation Award 

Okay... take a breath!!

It is normal to have a zillion questions! That is why PTO was created, to help each other!!
I am going to go on the assumption that if you got Sheltons phone number off the WA DOC site, you also have their address. Here is a little insider tip... shhh... don't tell anyone.

Call Shelton Wednesday morning, after 9 am, and ask for the mail room. If Barbara answers, just tell her your brother was just transferred and you would like to know his address (Unit number). I have had Barbara do this for me on a couple of occasions, and she has been very helpful. She will go through the do's and don'ts of mail, and she is a stickler for the rules.

I have no experience with appeals. Spend some time wandering around PTO, maybe you will find something! I have never gone looking for that particular topic!!

When it comes time to visit, give us a holler! Plenty of people on this site know the Shelton Drill!!

JJT
Old 04-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Next visit date?

Default Oh good 'ol Shelton

First off let me welcome you to PTO! You should find a large wonderful group of supporters here.
Well I used to work at shelton and then I met someone that was in shelton so I am somewhat familiar with the policies and rules. They are big time sticklers there and they like to jerk around the newb ies to the system and their families. So feel free to PM me if you have any direct questions. Keep your head up!

Lori
Old 04-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Only in America~

Lilj,
Whatever you do, don't send stamps, envelopes, or paper... I sent some to my brother, knowing that he didn't have money or anything, and they sent me a letter stating that he couldn't receive them and they were to be sent back to me... I didn't get the letter back, I guess they just threw it away... Anyhow, he was only there on a parole violation, so he was only there for a few weeks and then released...
Debi
Old 04-13-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Thanks so much!

I appreciate all of your responses. I do know that our family is in for a long haul when dealing with the prison system. I just want to make sure that I know the do's and don't's before he gets in there. I know that he is going to be processing today and there is going to be alot for him to remember.

Does he have to send the visitation forms out to the family or is there somewhere I can find them online? And I have been reading on here that they will be deducting off his books, is this correct?

Again, thanks... I have found this site to be very friendly and knowing that there are people out there going through the same nightmare as us, it is comforting...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Donation Award 

Umm... visiting forms.

Policy is that the guys get them and mail them to you. You fill it out and mail back to them. The mailroom just takes them out of the envelope and sends it to the appropriate department.

The DOC usually gives the new guys a "book" on policies.

They do deduct off his books. I don't know what the breakdown is on the percentage, as there are so many variables. In my situation, for every $100 put on his books, he gets less than $20. Not all are that bad.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM

Hey everyone my boyfriend is in Walla Walla....could be worse i suppose..
Old 04-14-2004, 12:32 PM
~Washington JustGirls~

As for deductions of money sent in.. they take 30-35% off the top - can take another 20% if they own DOC fines or costs from previous incarceration and can take another 20% for child support - I have seen them take up to 70-75% of the money from their books. It used to be that when our guys had money on their books from the county jails transferred with them they didn't take percentages of that - however, in November that changed and they take the money off.... So... if any of you have guys in county jails thinking they can accumulate their money - let them know that isn't the case anymore........
Old 04-21-2004, 12:54 AM
meow

My cousin is in SEATAC FDC.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:50 PM

Welcome Feradina!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:49 PM
mY hEart aChes 4 u

Hey....My Love is at McNeil right now in the hole awaiting a transfer. We requested him to go to Twin Rivers due to the fact that I visit from Canada but.....not sure if that will work! I am also moving to Vancouver hopefully at the end of the summer.......so Skye if it all works out....we will both be going from Vancouver to Twin Rivers! Maybe we can car pool or something!

For anyone else looking for info...he's been at Clallum Bay, Walla Walla, Shelton (i think) too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye
Hi all! My Love is currently at the Twin Rivers Unit at WSRU in Monroe,WA. Since Washington seems to bounce them around like ping pong balls I'll make sure to keep ya'll updated if it changes. Skye
Old 04-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome Skye and JayandMe!!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:27 AM

I have a quick question.. My brother called me this last weekend from Shelton, he told me that 6 guys tried to jump him because of what he has been convicted of, and now my brother is in isolation. My brother has been convicted for rape of child 1, and child molestation (we are of course appealing this, these are totally false allegations) but what is the best prison for him to go to for these convictions? I head twin rivers wasn't to bad, but what about monroe or McNeil?

Please help... We aren't worried about how close he is to everyone, we are worried about his safety...
Old 04-26-2004, 09:41 AM

They both have sex offender programs
Old 04-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Always & Forever...

Lilj.....

If he's in close custody, Walla Walla has a whole separate unit for (unit 5) for inmates who fear for their personal safety. It's a protective custody unit and they are kept separate from the other inmates. I'm not sure if there is a S.O. program there or not.

Have you talked with your brother's counselor and expressed your concerns?
Old 04-26-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Thanks for the responses

I have not contacted anyone regarding my brother's safety. I guess from what my brother said they are going to keep him isolated until he leaves there. But the question he was asking was where it's the safest, and if he is offere Walla Walla, would they put him in isolation automatically or wait till something happens? My brother has never been in trouble before so he is still learning the whole lock up thing.. I am not sure what to tell him at this point. Is Twin Rivers supposed to be for these kinds of crimes, or is there somewhere he can go where he will be protected somewhat.

I know this sounds like you have heard it before, but my brother did not do these things, and when you go into a prison you are automatically guilty of whatever you are there for. He is in fear for his life if they put him in population.. How do I contact his counselor?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Always & Forever...

You can call the prison and give them his name and DOC # and they can put you in touch with his counselor. He'll get a new counselor whenever he transfers to a different prison or unit.

If they send him to Walla Walla, he can ask to be put into protective custody. I don't think he has to wait for anything to happen. Unit 5 is not isolation, it's a unit separate from the mainline, and the inmates there cannot be on the mainline for their own personal safety (because they told on someone, the nature of their crime, etc.).

You are very right... sex offenders (especially those convicted of a crime against a child) are not held in very high regard in prison. When he moves, his new cellies will want to see his paperwork (even though they're not supposed to ask). There are some guys in there that don't care, but there are those guys in there that do care, and they won't want a convicted child molester (whether it's true or not) in there with them. I would definitely get in touch with the counselor or someone at the prison and they may be able to give you better suggestions on how to keep your brother safe.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:38 AM
~Washington JustGirls~

Twin Rivers is a good place for people convicted of sex offenses to go to - they do have inmates with all different sorts of offenses there but they have some units that house mostly only sex offenders and I know that they take any sort of threats seriously.. I knew a person there who was moved because he was threatening people convicted of sex offenses - they hauled him right out of there into the hole and then to a different institution... Hang in there.....
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM

Default I can understand

I do understand that they wouldn't want to be affiliated with someone who would do such a thing to a child. But the fact is, they did ask him for his paperwork, he did not have any. I don't know why, but he said that they never gave him any. I know some of these guys in there are "innocent" so why would they pass judgement without getting the facts? It makes me so mad, my brother tried to do something right and this 14 year old took advantage of that. So now they convict him on a tainted testimony alone.

Anyway, I just want to send him the information regarding the prisons. So let me get this right, Walla Walla would be good if he can get into unit 5, and Twin Rivers has a whole seperate section for these kinds of offenses right? Any other prisons I should get information on?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:51 AM

Oh and I will try and get ahold of his counselor. Are they pretty friendly up in Shelton?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:56 AM
~Washington JustGirls~

All prisons have a "protective custody/segregation" type unit in them... If I am correct though they are segregated from alot of the other prisoners even within that unit (Heather - correct me if I'm wrong). Twin Rivers specifically has units with mostly sex offenders in them - it is a pretty nice place - he wouldn't necessarily be segegrated from other inmates.. just with others convicted of similar offenses.... I'm not sure about McNeil Island - I know there is a sex offender program there also....

Was your brother offered the chance at the SSOSA program??? Basically it is an alternative to incarceration program which includes community treatment out here???
Old 04-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Always & Forever...

Lisa... I think you're right about them being segregated within the PC unit. I wasn't sure if every prison had one of those... thanks for the info! I had no idea that some of the prisons had sex offender programs. What is SSOSA? Is that like the drug program (DOSA?)?
Old 04-26-2004, 11:17 AM
~Washington JustGirls~

Yeah.. SSOSA is Special Sex Offender Sentencing Alternative - they are evaluated to see if they meet the criteria for community based treatment - very intensive treatment program for at least three years and probation requirements.. They serve a time period in jail or work release (typically six months) and then are involved in this program. If they don't succeed in it or are not making progress or violate their probaton conditions they can be revoked and given their original sentence and sent to prison. There are specific conditions that have to be met before a person is even offered it. Most of them have to be pretty pro-social in other areas of their life - employed, no other criminal history, able to pay for the treatment, admit to their offense and that they need help...

I work for a therapist that works with these clients...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Always & Forever...

Thanks for the info! That's amazing that they have a program like that. If they had more things like this that are focused on treatment, instead of punishment... well, you already know. I won't get on my soap box today, because I'd only be preaching to the choir anyway.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:19 AM

Default lisaandmichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaandmichael
All prisons have a "protective custody/segregation" type unit in them... If I am correct though they are segregated from alot of the other prisoners even within that unit (Heather - correct me if I'm wrong). Twin Rivers specifically has units with mostly sex offenders in them - it is a pretty nice place - he wouldn't necessarily be segegrated from other inmates.. just with others convicted of similar offenses.... I'm not sure about McNeil Island - I know there is a sex offender program there also....

Was your brother offered the chance at the SSOSA program??? Basically it is an alternative to incarceration program which includes community treatment out here???
I am sorry I didn't respond any sooner, my brother was offered SSOSA, he did turn it down, and when he was allowed to speak to the judge before sentencing he brought that up. The Prosecutor denied ever offering it to him. If that's the case then how did he know about it? Anyway, thanks for the information...

This site is wonderful, and the people here are very pleasant to talk to.. I know there are so many people going through the same thing, and I just want to thank everyone who took their time to offer any information they could...