Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:43 PM

Default Money scam?

I have an inmate I have been talking to for over a year. Occasionally they have asked me to help out with stamps which I have no issue with. We have talked about past, future, family, goals, etc. Recently the conversation had geared towards them having "friends" send me checks to deposit into my bank and send to them and friends they have inside then hold onto some for in the future for them and keep some for myself. Every part of my upbringing is telling me it's a scam. I mean, if this person whom is mailing said checks to me has all this money why can't they deposit it to the accounts themselves? Also, this isn't the first instance where it has been suggested and I shut the last one down.

My question is, do you also feel it is a scam? also, what should I do with the checks since they are supposedly on the way to me already? Shred them? Return them?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btspringer For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019), Sarianna (05-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 PM

Thanked 3,352 Times in 1,566 Posts

It is a scam. they are probably running an illegal business and this gets you involved on the whole process.

Checks, money grams, money orders...stay away from the whole thing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019), btspringer (05-20-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (05-21-2019), keywii (05-21-2019), safran (05-20-2019), Sarianna (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Don't do it. There is another thread in this from that details what this "scam" is and it's essentially money laundering. It will get you in trouble. Don't accept the checks, refuse them (If they have tracking/etc) and if you do find them in your possession, get rid of it and never contact the person who set this up again.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DailyLimitReach For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019), btspringer (05-20-2019), marco1969 (05-21-2019), safran (05-20-2019), Taliba00 (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
It is a scam. they are probably running an illegal business and this gets you involved on the whole process.

Checks, money grams, money orders...stay away from the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLimitReach View Post
Don't do it. There is another thread in this from that details what this "scam" is and it's essentially money laundering. It will get you in trouble. Don't accept the checks, refuse them (If they have tracking/etc) and if you do find them in your possession, get rid of it and never contact the person who set this up again.
Thank you both. I appreciate the feedback. If checks come in requiring a signature I will refuse the delivery... if not they will be shredded.
The Following User Says Thank You to btspringer For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 11:22 PM

100% it's a scam. Personally, this would be enough for me to end the entire correspondence - especially since it's not the first time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyrocker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM

Oh doesn't sound good. I'm assuming the one you write to knows what this likely could be, that's worrying. Especially if it's illegal and you could get into trouble. Glad you're going to not proceed with the request.
The Following User Says Thank You to orchibu For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 02:39 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

This is a scam and illegal. End the correspondence! This guy is a danger to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marco1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btspringer View Post
I have an inmate I have been talking to for over a year. Occasionally they have asked me to help out with stamps which I have no issue with. We have talked about past, future, family, goals, etc. Recently the conversation had geared towards them having "friends" send me checks to deposit into my bank and send to them and friends they have inside then hold onto some for in the future for them and keep some for myself.

My question is, do you also feel it is a scam?

I read this tonight. hola chica... So this "man" is a guy you're talkin' wit' a long time now. IMO 1 year is long,
(if it is a YEAR or longer "consistent" that is, in your life not "back and forth in your life."
-
You're talking to him, about everything, getting closer i assume and he is going to have the nerve to ask you to do this."
-
A real friend wouldn't be asking you or even expect you to do this for him or her. What a shame.
I do not feel he is right, and i think he is only caring about him, and what is "best for him."I m sadden to read this,
because it is so clear again BRIGHT RED NEON FLAG and "signs" are right there, in front of you,
so i pray this do not come back to you somehow, where POLICIA es chica showing up, asking you queries as i read this happen
to a few in U.S.A, few states i was reading this 1 or 2 years ago online and i just SMH to it all and the lady cease all correspondence
while another said she "waited for him to call again and went OFF on him, then ditched him." It is clearly a bank fraudulent thing
happening here, and you're to PROTECT tu dinero!(your money)and sanity. Such men also force at times the women to open up
a new bank account, #smh and a few have done it, and right here,is when i say, "There are always signs." DON'T ignore them."

-
Clearly you're being involved in a jail, prison bank/checks et.al., money fraud scam with a guy who didn't care or does not care at all about you,
if he was expecting you to be doing this sh--t for him."
You're too sweet and nice for this guy to be in your life, but you have to see that, as he was wrong asking you, in the first place,
and i would be re-evaluating mi relationship or friendship with any 1 who asked me to do what he is doing."

Good luck.
Adios.

Life is too short to "settle for anything less."

#Strength is Power. #KnowyourWorth
#taas (there are ALWAYS signs.)Don't ignore them.

Lead with your MIND + not your heart.

Last edited by a.rare.love; 06-16-2019 at 09:21 PM..