Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts
Default Chandra Levy's Mom, Crime Victims Oppose Inmate Release Plan

I understand her pain but this is exactly what got us into the mess we are in now. Knee jerk legislation in an effort to ease someones pain. The need to treat everyone like a murderer, child molester or rapist has run its course and hopefully some common sense and smart on crime minds will get it right.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...=52972&catid=2

MODESTO, CA - Chandra Levy's murder in 2001 was a story which made headlines across the country and around the world. Her killer has never been caught.
"It's been seven years, hard to believe," said Levy's mother Susan Levy.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt"--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
The Following User Says Thank You to Morris1 For This Useful Post:
BooneysGirl (01-11-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

The sad fact is that since CCPOA and other law enforcement concerns started dumping money into the 'victims rights' organizations, the message to victims has become "it will make you feel better if we just lock everyone up"... As a result alot of victims will go to their grave very bitter because you can never bring back their loved one by punishing people who had nothing to do with the crime
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
docswife (01-13-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Thanked 4,616 Times in 1,700 Posts

The strangest thing about this case is that she was an intern at the FBI and was having an affair with (former) US Representitive Gary Condit (who refused to take a polygraph test). Between those two factors I find it highly unlikely that she was just picked "randomly" by some crazed killer. Her mother has every right to grieve, but it's too bad she's chosen this venue to do so as it certainly won't bring her any justice for her daughter's death.

Last edited by kima; 01-08-2009 at 07:20 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM

Thanked 1,500 Times in 921 Posts

That was well said Kima.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris1 View Post
I understand her pain but this is exactly what got us into the mess we are in now. Knee jerk legislation in an effort to ease someones pain. The need to treat everyone like a murderer, child molester or rapist has run its course and hopefully some common sense and smart on crime minds will get it right.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/sto...=52972&catid=2

MODESTO, CA - Chandra Levy's murder in 2001 was a story which made headlines across the country and around the world. Her killer has never been caught.
"It's been seven years, hard to believe," said Levy's mother Susan Levy.
I can understand some of what Susan Levy is going through I to lost my girlfriend to a stupid ass that decided to kill her other the walk away.(been little over 7 years for me seems like yesterday) I still support reform to prison a parole system. Locking people up for petty things for life makes no sense to me.
We should educate not incarcerate even with reform we still will have more people in the system then we need do to the fact they never let your past be your past, it is brought up every time you try to improve yourself or get in trouble.
OK I am speaking from experience here I did my three tours (2@ CDRC & 1 @ NSP) I Finally got my act together and found an employer that didn't judge me on my past but how I perform my job
As a victim there are things that I do to reassure that the person who committed this crime pays for his offense , but I don't try and make every person that has made a mistake pay for his ignorance. There are certain offense that must be looked at carefully but you don't treat every offender like those individuals.
I am not a gun ho victims right advocate because I see to many high profile victims milking their tragedy for financial gains and political influence Let me step down from my soap box now and shut up
cat4300 (01-09-2009), TLT (01-10-2009), Tricksie2645 (01-12-2009)
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

Nice to hear from you Patrick. Where have you been?
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. And then you cash in on guilt"--Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
Old 01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
"Non-violent? Give me a break. These are people who could be released back into communities without being checked," said Levy.
I feel for her loss, but in the above statement she shows how little she really does understand the system. She's hurting and wants revenge - it really doesn't matter to her what 'crime' got them into the system, she would like them all to stay right where they are.

My personal opinion is they probably already had the killer in their grips, but he wasn't charged.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 PM

I agree with her on one point. An inmate who is in prison for a nonviolent crime is NOT the same as a nonviolent inmate.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Anonymous View Post
I agree with her on one point. An inmate who is in prison for a nonviolent crime is NOT the same as a nonviolent inmate.
very true...but the economy is in the tank and someone is going to have to start making decisions about who really should be locked up. For far too long the public has not been educated about what locking people up costs, and they need to know so that they can decide that if this is how they really want to spend very limited resources, because there will be a sacrifice, quite possibly the quality of their childrens education.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Oh, I agree. I just think they are going to screw it up, just like everything in CDC. The Education of our children is far more important IMHO. But people are going to have to realize that releasing inmates like they are planning isn't going to be the answer. By releasing inmates based on their commitment offense and not offering anything new in the way of help for the inmate all they are going to do is raise the crime rate in California and flood the court systems and reception centers as most of the inmates make their way back to prison.

As usual they are going to take a generally good idea and do it completely wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SGT Anonymous For This Useful Post:
BigShoulders (01-10-2009), Tricksie2645 (01-12-2009)
Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM

If they actually did it right, they wouldn't be able to use it as a hammer to get re-elected. I can hear the speeches now. "See, my liberal colleagues decided to release 40,000 inmates to deal with the crowded prison conditions. Look what happened; crime rates went up, people were murdered in their own beds, and we all paid for that well-intentioned but stupid plan. My plan is to build more prisons, hire more thu.. I mean correctional officers, and keep the brutal prisoners in prison where they belong. Vote for me!!"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigShoulders For This Useful Post:
docswife (01-13-2009), Morris1 (01-11-2009), Shari (01-12-2009), Tricksie2645 (01-12-2009)
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Around the Way

I will bet $100 that Mrs.Lackey voted yes on Prop 9. Did she hear herself??? She herself admits that part and or most of the problem is that the inmate lacks the support, skill and knowledge of what it takes to live on the outside. But I'll bet she voted for Prop 9...... is she being hippocritical???? This pisses me off..... yep just keep them locked up.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 PM

If they aren't going to offer more support services for inmates when they get out I don't want them getting out either. They are going to be the same or worse than when they went in.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Round 2

Quote:
If they aren't going to offer more support services for inmates when they get out I don't want them getting out either. They are going to be the same or worse than when they went in.
That's an awfully bold statement there. I beg to differ. Some actually DO change without ANY support services.

The problem here is that we spend WAY too much "keeping them locked up" then even trying to help them better their lives. THey're NOT going to stay locked up forever. It's just not realistic. So the only logical thing is to set up counseling services for ALL situations..... We as a society are getting better at identifying the real issues instead of reacting angrily. However, we have a LONG way to go before we get where we really need to be....

Stacy
Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacysWar030 View Post
That's an awfully bold statement there. I beg to differ. Some actually DO change without ANY support services.

The problem here is that we spend WAY too much "keeping them locked up" then even trying to help them better their lives. THey're NOT going to stay locked up forever. It's just not realistic. So the only logical thing is to set up counseling services for ALL situations..... We as a society are getting better at identifying the real issues instead of reacting angrily. However, we have a LONG way to go before we get where we really need to be....

Stacy

I agree. My statement was, of course, a generalization. There are inmates that try very hard to become better people, they get out, and stay out. But for the most part the only things inmates learn in prison is how to be better criminals. They parole into a situation as bad, or in a lot of cases worse, than when they went in and start committing crimes.

My point is a mass release of inmates without adding more support for the inmates is a really bad idea and will only amount to a higher crime rate and a flooding of the courts and reception centers.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Round 2

Quote:
My point is a mass release of inmates without adding more support for the inmates is a really bad idea and will only amount to a higher crime rate and a flooding of the courts and reception centers.
Oh I agree whole heartedly. However, there are many non violent offenders that could be released safely into our community. The problem is no one wants to take the time to figure who these men and women are....

Stacy
javies gurl (01-11-2009)
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacysWar030 View Post
Oh I agree whole heartedly. However, there are many non violent offenders that could be released safely into our community. The problem is no one wants to take the time to figure who these men and women are....

Stacy

Exactly. If they do end up doing an early release they are going to release inmates based on time left on sentence and/or commitment offense and then everyone is going to yell "I told you so" when it turns out badly.

It just sucks that people are more worried about being able to further their careers than they are about doing the right thing. But then again, that is why I hate politicians.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Donation Award 

I have been reading for months (year?) about how they have (are going to) made changes in Parole. I think someone has forgotten to tell the individual parole officers. Our experience has been business as usual...doing their best to make sure the parolee goes back in. Until (or unless) the rank and file parole officer gets on board with these changes, the revolving door will continue, no matter what decision is made.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Tea Party Member

Everyone always looks at the short timers for being released early. Its a documented fact that lifers once released have 1% recidivism rate. 1% is very good odds, however no one ever brings up the fact that we have men and women who have done there time and are still refused parole. If the board would follow the rules set out for them lifers would not be doing years and years over their release dates. I believe that lifers are the better ones to release. If we started releasing lifers that should have been released years and years ago the overcrowding would go down drastically.
Parole also needs to be completely changed. It's ridicules for someone to go back into prison because they didn't report their change of address fast enough or some other stupid error. Its these kinds of violations that are causing problems. I also think that the officers that violate on these kind of things should be fired, it seems to me that they are creating the overcrowding problems. Lets face facts you do not need to violate someone on something so stupid. These officers are supposed to help parolees. I don't see that happening, its the other way around. There are so many stupid rules that it is almost impossible to follow. Not everyone should be on parole.
The Following User Says Thank You to docswife For This Useful Post:
Tricksie2645 (01-14-2009)