Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in California, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 04-18-2020, 11:44 AM

Default Judge Rejects More COVID Releases on 4/17/20

Hello all, copied and pasted is the entire article. Here is the link:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...nt-to-covid-19

Judge rejects more inmate releases from California prisons

A federal judge has denied an emergency motion that would force California officials to develop a plan to further reduce the state’s inmate population by thousands in order to curb the spread of the coronavirus, saying the state has already implemented a myriad of changes.

In his ruling on Friday, U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar said lawyers for the inmates had to demonstrate Gov. Gavin Newsom and correctional officials were indifferent to protecting the inmates and therefore in violation of their federal rights. Inmates want the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to create a detailed plan that would change the way prisoners are housed in the state’s 35-prison system and release more inmates or house some outside of prisons.

Read full article at link above

Edited by Admin per PTO Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 04-18-2020 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: PTO Copyright Rules
The Following User Says Thank You to InLoveDeep For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-19-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2020, 08:25 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,726 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLoveDeep View Post
Hello all, copied and pasted is the entire article. Here is the link:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...nt-to-covid-19

Judge rejects more inmate releases from California prisons

A federal judge has denied an emergency motion that would force California officials to develop a plan to further reduce the state’s inmate population by thousands in order to curb the spread of the coronavirus, saying the state has already implemented a myriad of changes.

In his ruling on Friday, U.S. District Judge Jon S. Tigar said lawyers for the inmates had to demonstrate Gov. Gavin Newsom and correctional officials were indifferent to protecting the inmates and therefore in violation of their federal rights. Inmates want the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to create a detailed plan that would change the way prisoners are housed in the state’s 35-prison system and release more inmates or house some outside of prisons.

Read full article at link above

Edited by Admin per PTO Copyright Rules
So the PLO led team was unable to convince a Federal judge to push CDCR in the right direction after striking out with the 3 judge panel a week ago. The hope that CDCR will release any more on basis of COVID is over.

Can't read the link. You need subscription to LA Times for it to work. It appears from abbreviated narrative Newsom and CDCR convinced judge they are doing enough or a reasonable amount. That is frustrating. I've been following CDCR tracker every day. I don't believe what they are reporting but no one seems able to call them on it.

There are many more infected than they report - about 100 out of over 100,000 inmates are infected? That is 0.1% of CDCR inmate population. Does anyone seriously believe that???? For perspective recent credible studies indicate potentially more than 10% of the population are or has been affected. I have a hard time believing CDCR has miraculously done 100 times better than the rest of the world controlling the spread.

Maybe some of these legal and activist groups can change their focus from trying to get more releases and focus on getting CDCR to change their response and actions. The solution will not be releases and the problem to solve is not controlling the spread, because it will spread.

If spread is inevitable, the problem to address is protecting vulnerable and minimizing bad outcomes from infection in the prisons.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-21-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
So the PLO led team was unable to convince a Federal judge to push CDCR in the right direction after striking out with the 3 judge panel a week ago. The hope that CDCR will release any more on basis of COVID is over.

Can't read the link. You need subscription to LA Times for it to work. It appears from abbreviated narrative Newsom and CDCR convinced judge they are doing enough or a reasonable amount. That is frustrating. I've been following CDCR tracker every day. I don't believe what they are reporting but no one seems able to call them on it.

There are many more infected than they report - about 100 out of over 100,000 inmates are infected? That is 0.1% of CDCR inmate population. Does anyone seriously believe that???? For perspective recent credible studies indicate potentially more than 10% of the population are or has been affected. I have a hard time believing CDCR has miraculously done 100 times better than the rest of the world controlling the spread.

Maybe some of these legal and activist groups can change their focus from trying to get more releases and focus on getting CDCR to change their response and actions. The solution will not be releases and the problem to solve is not controlling the spread, because it will spread.

If spread is inevitable, the problem to address is protecting vulnerable and minimizing bad outcomes from infection in the prisons.
I copied and pasted the whole article. Someone must’ve gone in and edited/shortened it, not sure why. If you open the link from a different browser, or from an incognito tab, you should be able to see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to InLoveDeep For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:

If they don't test, they don't have infected.... They aren't testing. People have to die for this to become an issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
frees (04-21-2020), gvalliant (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
If they don't test, they don't have infected.... They aren't testing. People have to die for this to become an issue.
At this time, they have tested 671 with 121 positive. One out of five being positive tells me they only test when inmate already has significant symptoms. If they test more I agree we'd see more infections and understand the real numbers. We (they) have no idea of how many are infected or have already been infected and through it. CDCR would have to hugely change their testing numbers to get there.

As people die, I don't know if they would do much. Back in the late 2000's when valley fever was killing large numbers at central valley prisons CDCR fought in court for years to keep from doing anything. It was almost a decade before advocates won in court. After the damage was done. So far CDCR is behaving the same this time.

Most recent research is indicating that if you are healthy and get infected you are not going to die. Even if you are relatively elderly - like in your 60's. However if you have conditions - obesity, almost any pulmonary or cardiovascular problem, diabetes, most immune deficient problem - you are at risk. Research is also indicating infection rate might be much higher than previously believed. In other words many more of us than we thought have it, had it, or will have it.

If that all gets verified, CDCR could do mass moving. Get the vulnerable to select locations they can be protected. Institute incredibly tight testing and screening and medical care at those locations. Give them a chance to get through this. CDCR can identify those people. CDCR can institute movement like that. CDCR can institute stringent measures at a small number of facilities. Does CDCR have the will?

The healthy will likely become infected anyway. Assuming what is being learned is verified, those people will be OK.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 AM

They won't let go of their money.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker71 View Post
Even if they do die. They will cover it up as best they can. I was told yesterday that they are still bussing guys around in California. Like WTF! ON top of that I was told they now have covid there and they believe the guards brought it in. See how they mix in a bus to try to lay blame elsewhere? Got to muddy the evidence.

What is sad is the people talking crap about prisoners today will in a generation have their kid locked up. You don't know until you know. This isn't the planet to be.

Last edited by frees; 04-21-2020 at 06:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to frees For This Useful Post:
studebaker71 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
At this time, they have tested 671 with 121 positive. One out of five being positive tells me they only test when inmate already has significant symptoms. If they test more I agree we'd see more infections and understand the real numbers. We (they) have no idea of how many are infected or have already been infected and through it. CDCR would have to hugely change their testing numbers to get there.

As people die, I don't know if they would do much. Back in the late 2000's when valley fever was killing large numbers at central valley prisons CDCR fought in court for years to keep from doing anything. It was almost a decade before advocates won in court. After the damage was done. So far CDCR is behaving the same this time.

Most recent research is indicating that if you are healthy and get infected you are not going to die. Even if you are relatively elderly - like in your 60's. However if you have conditions - obesity, almost any pulmonary or cardiovascular problem, diabetes, most immune deficient problem - you are at risk. Research is also indicating infection rate might be much higher than previously believed. In other words many more of us than we thought have it, had it, or will have it.

If that all gets verified, CDCR could do mass moving. Get the vulnerable to select locations they can be protected. Institute incredibly tight testing and screening and medical care at those locations. Give them a chance to get through this. CDCR can identify those people. CDCR can institute movement like that. CDCR can institute stringent measures at a small number of facilities. Does CDCR have the will?

The healthy will likely become infected anyway. Assuming what is being learned is verified, those people will be OK.
I've seen a lot of talk about prisons out of California and some are getting hit hard. They are trying to move and switch things up by closing prisons or asking parole to release some of these guys if they are to be out in a month or less. Parole isn't fast enough so there are IN REALITY people dying with their out date less than a month out.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frees View Post
Even if they do die. They will cover it up as best they can. I was told yesterday that they are still bussing guys around in California. Like WTF! ON top of that I was told they now have covid there and they believe the guards brought it in. See how they mix in a bus to try to lay blame elsewhere? Got to muddy the evidence.

What is sad is the people talking crap about prisoners today will in a generation have their kid locked up. You don't know until you know. This isn't the planet to be.
They have to lock up so many people in order to stay employed. Its their jobs and overtime they are concerned about.
The Following User Says Thank You to studebaker71 For This Useful Post:
hous1 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 33,110 Times in 16,543 Posts

**I copied and pasted the whole article. Someone must’ve gone in and edited/shortened it, not sure why. If you open the link from a different browser, or from an incognito tab, you should be able to see it.**

Cannot post the whole article per copyright laws. Can only post a paragraph or so and a link to article.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frees View Post
I've seen a lot of talk about prisons out of California and some are getting hit hard. They are trying to move and switch things up by closing prisons or asking parole to release some of these guys if they are to be out in a month or less. Parole isn't fast enough so there are IN REALITY people dying with their out date less than a month out.
The point is everyone who is dying - in prison, out of prison, never been in prison, everywhere - has underlying health problems.

Anyone even as old as in their 60's who does not have underlying health problems - whether in prison, out of prison, never been in prison, everywhere - is not dying. They get infected, they may or may not get sick, but they do not die.

Letting a bunch of younger healthier people out of prison a few months or even a few years early accomplishes nothing wrt minimizing COVID death.

What will save lives in prisons is identifying those inmates who are at risk. Those at risk symptoms are well understood now, CDCR can absolutely identify all of them. Focus on them. Take strong actions to protect them.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Donation Award 

"everywhere - is not dying. They get infected, they may or may not get sick, but they do not die."
Well this is debatable.