Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pelican Bay State Prison (PBSP)- California Topics and discussions specific to Pelican Bay State Prison located in Crescent City, California.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Newbie questions

ok so my friend was moved to pelican bay and i have read through pretty much all the post in the last 2 weeks but still have question.
1. how long does it take to be approved to visit (generally)?
2. if i want to send a letter overnight what address would i send it to?
3. when we visit (he is in gen pop level 4) can they go to the vending machines with us?
4. when i go to visit if i get there at around 8 am what time will i be inside the visiting room?
5. do we have to wait outside to be processed (bieng from los angeles i am not looking forward to north cali weather)
6. how long have letters been taking to get to the inmate?

i am sure i will have more question but if you can just answer these it would be greatly appreciated

God Bless you all!

Last edited by Wolf; 12-16-2008 at 12:26 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 AM
G'z Sweetstuff

Welcome to Pelican Bay. If your friend was transferred here, your visiting papers will follow. If not, I have had two family members turn one in and it is 4-6 weeks for the approval.

I can't answer your visiting questions as I go to the SHU....
During the winter, it would not hurt to have a raincoat, because it can rain like you won't believe! As for mail, it will just fluctuate. We average a 3 week turnaround. Sometimes when there is an investigation it can be longer! By the way, I have found that overnight does not mean he will recieve it the next day as the letter still needs to be checked. That was advice from the mail room. Be sure to go to the top of the Pelican Bay Forum and read the prison specific information.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
waiting patiently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodGotDis View Post
ok so my friend was moved to pelican bay and i have read through pretty much all the post in the last 2 weeks but still have question.
1. how long does it take to be approved to visit (generally)?
2. if i want to send a letter overnight what address would i send it to?
3. when we visit (he is in gen pop level 4) can they go to the vending machines with us?
4. when i go to visit if i get there at around 8 am what time will i be inside the visiting room?
5. do we have to wait outside to be processed (bieng from los angeles i am not looking forward to north cali weather)
6. how long have letters been taking to get to the inmate?
It took me about 2 months to be approved for visiting, pretty sure if you over night a letter it will still take a few days to get checked over, not sure about the actual visiting (haven't made it all the way up there yet ) Its most deff freezing way the hell up there though so please bring a jacket... and letters: My boy says he's been getting mine on average within about 7 days, give or take a few..
Hope that helped you a lil & that you get all your questions answered!! Welcome to the bay!!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 PM
♥Rebel with a Cause♥
Donation Award 

Welcome to the Bay!!!
Have an Awesome Visit

Last edited by Wolf; 12-02-2008 at 10:20 AM..
Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM

Ok ladys i sent in a visiting form last month im hoping to be approved by his birthday which is the 21st of this month i will be visiting in the shu so what should i wear please help
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 PM
♥Rebel with a Cause♥
Donation Award 

Hi Mammas...
Here are some guidelines:
Visitor Attire:

It is recommended that visitors dress conservatively and with the following guidelines in mind. Inappropriate attire will be reason to deny a visit. Any alteration to clothing once a visitor is inside the visiting area will be grounds for terminating the visit.

Prohibited Attire:
Clothing which, in any combination of shades or types of material/fabric, resembles California State-issued inmate clothing, blue denim or chambray shirts and blue denim pants. Law enforcement or military-type forest green or camouflage patterned articles of clothing, including rain gear. Hats, wigs or hairpieces (except with prior written approval of the (Visiting Sergeant).
Clothing that exposes the breast/chest area, genital area, or buttocks.
Dresses, skirts, pants, and shorts exposing more than two inches above the knee, including slits. Sheer or transparent garments. Strapless or"spaghetti" straps. Clothing exposing the midriff area. Clothing or accessories displaying obscene or offensive language or drawings. Bras with metal underwires or any other detectable metal are not permitted.
With colors...no green, blue, yellow, grey...either wear red top or red bottoms (Pants, skirts) not both. But this could change from one week to the next.
Black is the safest color...
I usually bring an extra outfit just in case...
You can change at the hospitality house (there is clothes there you can borrow for the visit)
Hope this helped you a bit.
Have an Awesome Visit....
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 AM

Actually, it is possible that he is level 4 in Gen Pop. My friend is and we've had contact visits for years, so it might be worth checking out. Not all Level 4's are SHU, both A and B yard house level 4 in Gen Pop. If he is Gen Pop (or GP), then you do not need an appointment once you are approved to visit.
Happy visiting!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
waiting patiently...

so you can't wear jeans to visiting??!!!!! what other kinda pants are there??!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM
G'z Sweetstuff

Black, silky, sexy slacks...with a black top.... form fitting...that buttons down, then unbuttoned to what you can get away with...(don't undo any in the box because you are on candid camera) and your guy can have is imagination!
The Following User Says Thank You to desertmoonwoman For This Useful Post:
baylove (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
♥Rebel with a Cause♥
Donation Award 

BayLove...
You can wear Black jeans just no Blue jeans...
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:
baylove (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 PM
waiting patiently...

so any color jeans just not blue?? and no blue tops.. can i wear a white one... this visiting attire stuff really confuses me!!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM

you guys were a big help i have another question. what is the phone situation like in the PBSP. he is in general population...are they pretty good about letting them use phone daily or no? also from your experience how quickly was he able to call after he got up there?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM

o yea here is another question whenever i call the visiting line 1800 3749474 then press 1 2 5 it never gives me visiting info it just say press 1 to hear recording of visting rules and procedures, so when i am approved how do i find out if they have visits and are not on lockdown?
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 AM
♥Rebel with a Cause♥
Donation Award 

GodGotDis....
I never knew there was an 800 number?!
I have always used the visiting # 707-465-1000 EXT# 5425.
Sometimes you can get a live person if you call at 8:00 AM or recordings that will give information on lockdowns and visiting times etc.
I hope this helped.