Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 8,002 Times in 3,481 Posts
Default Visiting approval if you did not know the inmate prior to incarceration.

Has anyone been approved to visit an inmate in Colorado doc if you did not know the inmate prior to in carceration. I have applied to visit and been denied for that reason. I am going to appeal but it would be good to know if anyone has been successful. I am travelling from the uk in March and it will be a one of visit.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 09:42 PM

I don't know of anybody that has been approved if they didn't know the offender before incarceration. I would definitely appeal and also request a special visit. nothing to lose!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-13-2018), SusanR610 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 AM

Ok I will do that I am hoping a special visit can be approved if the application to visit has been denied

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Sarianna (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 AM

I have messaged one of the ladies that I know from this site to see if she can help you, she too is visiting Colorado from the UK in March!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Hi Maytayah I'm actually visiting from Ireland in March. But I didn't have any issues with getting on my boyfriends visitation list. I definitely think you should appeal. There's no logical reason for you to be denied JUST because you didn't know him before incarceration unless they denied for another reason?
Which facility is he in?
The Following User Says Thank You to littledarkone For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 AM

According to the visiting info on the Colorado DOC site https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdoc/visiting-offender

"Any other person(s) who have become acquainted with an offender in any manner during the course of the offender's incarceration WILL NOT be allowed to visit."

That apparently applies across the board in Colorado and that is why I have been denied.
I dont think I need to be on the visiting list for a special visit which i am applying for as part of my appeal. However I am not sure if my denial exempts me from special visits as well. Guess I will have to wait and see.
It seems strange that applies at some facilities and not others.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
nancyginnm (01-13-2018), Sarianna (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 AM
Beach Girl

Special visits aren’t much different than an application for normal visits in most cases. Usually a special visit is for handicap situations, needing to visit during a non visit day (because traveling from out of state/country), etc... Typically the laws for the state still apply (including you can’t visit an inmate you’ve never met) The odds are extremely slim you’ll ever be able to do a visit. It also takes the same type of application to do a video visit and such. My husband is in a Colorado prison.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:57 AM

Thank you but I have heard from a few people who have been approved in our circumstances. So its worth a try to appeal for a one off special visit. If we dont get it then well at least we tried.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Beach Girl

Default TRY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytayah View Post
Thank you but I have heard from a few people who have been approved in our circumstances. So its worth a try to appeal for a one off special visit. If we dont get it then well at least we tried.

I agree! No pain in giving it a try!

The Following User Says Thank You to MissStar For This Useful Post:
maytayah (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM

The same rule applies in Federal prison. I had one friend that I had known for years (husband of a work colleague) who answered “no” because we had never met in person. He was turned down, and they would not budge on it, even though he re-applied and explained that he had known me for decades, via phone calls, email, etc.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM

You are correct, that is what the AR. I would call or email the AW and request a special visit. You don't really need to be on his regular list since you won't be traveling frequently.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free At Last 5 View Post
The same rule applies in Federal prison. I had one friend that I had known for years (husband of a work colleague) who answered no because we had never met in person. He was turned down, and they would not budge on it, even though he re-applied and explained that he had known me for decades, via phone calls, email, etc.
Colorado is different than the feds. You can get exceptions for infrequent visits. My son-in-law got denied to visit my husband and we contacted the aw and he approved 6 months of special visits and then allowed him to be placed on my husband's permanent visiting list.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-10-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:33 PM

The feds have a similar rule and yet they also make exceptions occasionally when an inmate has no visitors.
My friends is Colorado Doc and he does not receive regular visits so we hope that may be in our favour.

Sarianna (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The feds have a similar rule and yet they also make exceptions occasionally when an inmate has no visitors.
My friends is Colorado Doc and he does not receive regular visits so we hope that may be in our favour.
His institutional conduct will also play A Part. As long as he's not a troublemaker and doing what he supposed to do I think you have a really good shot at a special visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-10-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 PM

I spoke to him earlier and he is going to speak to his case worker and see what he suggests, My friend isnt a trouble maker, he is serving a long sentence but he keeps his head down and he hasnt been trouble for years.
I think a one off special visit is the best chance we have.

Last edited by maytayah; 01-14-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Sarianna (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I spoke to him earlier and he is going to speak to his case worker and she what he suggests, My friend isnt a trouble maker, he is serving a long sentence but he keeps his head down and he hasnt been trouble for years.
I think a one off special visit is the best chance we have.
Good luck and please keep us posted!

Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM

I didn't know him prior to his incarceration and I was accepted for visits and granted special visits. The only difference with special visits is I get go visit every day instead of the normal weekends. I'm also from the UK and have a record of incarceration myself so I would absolutely appeal your application! Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genrecore For This Useful Post:
maytayah (01-14-2018), nancyginnm (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genrecore View Post
I didn't know him prior to his incarceration and I was accepted for visits and granted special visits. The only difference with special visits is I get go visit every day instead of the normal weekends. I'm also from the UK and have a record of incarceration myself so I would absolutely appeal your application! Good luck!
Thank you , its seems like the rules are different at different places. I am hoping we can appeal and I can get at least a special visit. I have no criminal or arrest record and my friend has no other visitors so I really hope we can sort something out.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you , its seems like the rules are different at different places. I am hoping we can appeal and I can get at least a special visit. I have no criminal or arrest record and my friend has no other visitors so I really hope we can sort something out.
How did the find out that you had not met him before he got locked up?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDOCoffender View Post
How did the find out that you had not met him before he got locked up?

It asks how you knew the offender so I was honest and put pen pal I am not someone who would lie .

Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Beach Girl

Quote:
It asks how you knew the offender so I was honest and put pen pal I am not someone who would lie .

Any update?